Rotation | Syracusefan.com

Rotation

MDCuse

2nd String
It's taken 10 games but it really looks like Jim may have found his rotation with these guys. It's forcing him to go 9 deep, which I know will give him anxiety lol. Jesse is the only guy that should be sniffing 30 minutes (and even that's a stretch for a center IMO). JBA gives him so much that he doesn't have to force Benny into minutes that he clearly isn't ready for. Giving JBA & JT 15+ each off the bench keeps Bell & Benny from playing too much. Being able to rotate Sy, Judah and Joe keeps Joe from playing too much as well. If the young kids keep improving, this could be a really fun team to watch come conference time.

I think the ideal is an 8-man rotation with 3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers, but we don't really have a forward who has shown the ability to play like a 3 and a 4, so JBA backs Benny and Taylor backs Bell.

I'm on the John Bol starting train. He's a ball mover and good defender and doesn't do stupid ish. Per 36 the guy is averaging like 6 assists and 1 turnover a game.

I'm on the John Bol starting train. He's a ball mover and good defender and doesn't do stupid ish. Per 36 the guy is averaging like 6 assists and 1 turnover a game.
That starting 5 isn't a huge issue for me. Bell & JBA played almost the same exact minutes. I think how/when those minutes get distributed is more important.

I will add to this that Joe playing 37 on Saturday drove me absolutely nuts. I get that he's really the only threat from deep (as of now) but still seeing him out there that much is maddening to me. It's more of an anger towards the roster construction and lack of shooters. Not so much aimed at Joe.

I’d love to see the first half and second half breakdown for conference play. Will JB revert to recent history and play 5x20?
Sort of.

He'll stay committed to running the starters out to start the half.

But odds are he'll sub in his true "comfort" lineup quickly and ride that until the clock hits 0.

Edwards 35
Benny 25
Bell 20
Girard 35
Mintz 35
Taylor 20
Ajak 15
Torrence 10
Hima 5

That's the rotation right now.

Would REALLY love to see Joe get another 5 mins cut out, and give that to - well, almost anybody.
Symir, or maybe Quadir (in the easy OOC games, at least).

Also - would like to see say 6 mins carved out like 2 mins each from: Benny, Bell, and Ajak -
and give them to Brown.

I'm all aboard the Brown hype train, he's just a solid all-around player.
Needs to get some run, and not just in the 20+ blowouts.

Sort of.

He'll stay committed to running the starters out to start the half.

But odds are he'll sub in his true "comfort" lineup quickly and ride that until the clock hits 0.
Starting to think odds are Ajak is part of that comfort lineup. I could see games where Benny and/or Bell play for 4-5 minutes and are pulled for the rest of the half.

i'm liking seeing multiple subs at the scorers table waiting for next whistle. keep the troops fresh.
it's not like we have a bunch of first round draft picks here. go with fresh legs and energy off the bench.

Would REALLY love to see Joe get another 5 mins cut out, and give that to - well, almost anybody.

Also - would like to see say 6 mins carved out like 2 mins each from: Benny, Bell, and Ajak -
and give them to Brown.

I'm with you on Joe. It frustrates me to no end seeing him at 37 minutes. And the frustration is more at Jim for not having any other shooting options on the roster.

and give them to Brown.

Brown is missing. agree

i'm liking seeing multiple subs at the scorers table waiting for next whistle. keep the troops fresh.
it's not like we have a bunch of first round draft picks here. go with fresh legs and energy off the bench.
Yup. People think that JAB never changes, but he's thrown a few new wrinkles in the gameplan these last three games.

Hopefully tonight's another blowout and we see a more subdued Copeland and extended playing time for Maliq, who neither played in the 19 point win vs Georgetown.

Edwards 35
Benny 25
Bell 20
Girard 35
Mintz 35
Taylor 20
Ajak 15
Torrence 10
Hima 5

That's the rotation right now.
If I saw this 2 months ago I don't know what would have shocked me more -- Jesse staying on the floor more than 25 minutes, or Bol getting real time.

Yup. People think that JAB never changes, but he's thrown a few new wrinkles in the gameplan these last three games.

Hopefully tonight's another blowout and we see a more subdued Copeland and extended playing time for Maliq, who neither played in the 19 point win vs Georgetown.
With five minutes to go, it was an 8 point game...

No chance JB was putting in a guy he doesn't completely trust under those circumstances unless forced by injury or foul trouble.

It's taken 10 games but it really looks like Jim may have found his rotation with these guys. It's forcing him to go 9 deep, which I know will give him anxiety lol. Jesse is the only guy that should be sniffing 30 minutes (and even that's a stretch for a center IMO). JBA gives him so much that he doesn't have to force Benny into minutes that he clearly isn't ready for. Giving JBA & JT 15+ each off the bench keeps Bell & Benny from playing too much. Being able to rotate Sy, Judah and Joe keeps Joe from playing too much as well. If the young kids keep improving, this could be a really fun team to watch come conference time.
It’ll be 6.5 come mid January

The best part of the rotation thus far has been JB being consistent in taking you out if you take dumb, me first shots, and don't hustle on D. A practice that would have helped in previous years but I digress.
unfortunately not all are held to the same standard

JB uses more guys when he has more guys to use.

Go figure.
And/or fewer guys to trust. People seem to be talking about these guys like there are some proven commodities here. Joe is going to play because he can shoot and JB trusts him. Blame recruiting or whatever, but he’s a guy. Jesse, not much needs to be said. Judah in a similar spot because he can play. Outside of that, who the hell knows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom