Rule Changes In College Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Rule Changes In College Basketball

otto123

Walk On
The game needs to be cleaned up heres three rules that need to be changed

1.) Shot clock should be 30 seconds instead of 35 seconds. Speed the game up get rid of these 40-45 borefest

2.) Three point line needs to be moved back. I know they moved it back a few years ago but it wasn't enough. There is still to big of a difference between the college line and the pro line.

3.) They need to change the foul out rule from 5 to 6. The refs are terrible and are deciding games by getting key players in foul trouble. Let the best players on the court decide it.

32 seconds
1 more foot
6 fouls or 5 but charges don't count
1 coaches' option per game to review a play

I like the idea of a 30 second shot clock. I would also like to see the rule for advancing the ball into the front court go from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. Change those two rules and it would really speed up the game. Teams would employ a lot more full court pressure.

I'm fine with the shot clock where it is or moving it to 30. I don't mind when a team tries to slow it down. Sometimes it's interesting to see who's gonna impose their will when two teams meet with contrasting styles.

I'm all for moving the 3 point line back. It'll help open the lane up... at least for teams with shooters to keep defenses honest.

I don't like going from 5 to 6 fouls. It doesn't solve officiating problems and will slow down the game by allowing more of a hack fest. The NBA's games are 8 minutes longer so it makes sense for them to have 6. They need to revise the way they call charges. 10 years ago half the charges called this year would have been blocks or no calls. I think they need to have more "play ons" in those situations.

1. Having your street agent sitting behind your bench and celebrating on the court with your team is illegal.

I could deal with the shot clock being lowered, but the foul rule would probably just mean players foul more often. That would slow the game down. We tried that for a bit (Big East) and it wasn't a great idea.

The NCAA does a study and if they find that if certain refs are calling fouls on one team at a more dramatic rate than others after a decent sample study, that said ref should not be allowed to ref that schools games again. Along those lines stay consistent, don't let something go all year then call it in the NCAA's.

Push out the charge circle another foot or so.

I would decrease the timeouts a team can call to three per game. Maybe teams will have to stop calling timeout when a player is trapped; otherwise they will be left with no timeouts at the end of the game. I also don't think a team should be able to call timeout after a made basket. It seems to me your possession ends after you score.

1.) Shot clock should be 30 seconds instead of 35 seconds. Speed the game up get rid of these 40-45 borefest

2.) Three point line needs to be moved back. I know they moved it back a few years ago but it wasn't enough. There is still to big of a difference between the college line and the pro line.

3.) They need to change the foul out rule from 5 to 6. The refs are terrible and are deciding games by getting key players in foul trouble. Let the best players on the court decide it.
I'm not disagreeing with any of those, but why not just follow the NBA rules. Make the game 48 minutes long. A lot of NBA games take the same amount of time to play as college because they don't have all of those media timeouts. To me, that is the most annoying thing about the college game.

1. Disagree
2. Barely agree. Maybe move it back another inch, but no problem where it is now.
3. Disagree

Sounds like you want to watch the NBA.

One change needed, make the charge call a block unless overwhelmingly the player is completely set before the player leaves his feet, or the offensive player obviously lowers his shoulder into his defender. Players will quit flopping, and the speed of game will increase.

get rid of media timeouts

get rid of refs and let the players call their own fouls--can't be any worse

I'm not disagreeing with any of those, but why not just follow the NBA rules. Make the game 48 minutes long. A lot of NBA games take the same amount of time to play as college because they don't have all of those media timeouts. To me, that is the most annoying thing about the college game.

Yeah, in the NBA, if a team calls a TO, that replaces the upcoming media timeout. None of this "team calls a TO with 16:04 left, then 10 seconds later there is another whistle and the media timeout".

And I am all in favor of shortening up the shot clock.

How about calling a "travel". 90% of guards that catch a pass at the top of the key take 3-4 steps then stop, then dribble. Gets ridiculous sometimes.

30 shot clock would be a good start

charges only count as "team foul"... a good "flopper" can take away the advantage of an offensive player being athletically superior

If you trap the rebounder and catch a elbow then to bad. Thats what you get for not givng the big guy who hustled for the rebound space. Stupid that they get punished for three guys jumping for a rebound and two of them being draped on the guy right after a rebound.
There should be a 2 second more then one defender pressing rule or something. Its one thing to trap on defense its another to mosh pit after a rebound.

I am all for charges not being called fouls as well. Sucks to watch players play timid on offnese because of charges. The college game isn't as spread as the NBA for that and neither do guys get 6 fouls(and they shouldn't), it would be to many Ft's. Anyway, why punish a guy twice? He already turned the ball over?

Timeouts are important for getting the ball in during the press late in games.

Agree shot clock to 30 would be good.

32 seconds
1 more foot
6 fouls or 5 but charges don't count
1 coaches' option per game to review a play
I like the coaches option to review a play but would change to 1 per half if appeal failed lose a timeout.

how about "palming" the ball

Like it in theory. But the college game would probably have no point guards who could dribble at that point. It seems like every time the ball is brought up court now, the guard is blatantly palming the ball.

Fully in favor of shortening the shot clock, and I think it will help SU tremendously. More possessions per game will realy limit the ability of undermanned teams to compete with us.

I really hate seeing slow it down teams. We talk about a contrast of styles and which teams can impose their will, but it's always the slow it down team that imposes their will. When you hold the ball for 30 seconds every possession, it will never be a fast paced game.

JAB's preferred rule changes:
1. Widen the foul lane
2. Move the 3-pt line back

1. Disagree
2. Barely agree. Maybe move it back another inch, but no problem where it is now.
3. Disagree

Sounds like you want to watch the NBA.

One change needed, make the charge call a block unless overwhelmingly the player is completely set before the player leaves his feet, or the offensive player obviously lowers his shoulder into his defender. Players will quit flopping, and the speed of game will increase.
If you want to watch the NBA, then watch the NBA! The only thing I would change on the clock is 10 seconds in back court. Don't reset it with a time out. The other thing that drives me crazy are the teams that have a player lead the dribbler from back court. They force the defender to move to one side or the other inorder to get to the man with the ball which alows the offense to go the other way unchallenged. I still say that is a moving screen. Do it in front court and its called that way, why not in the back court>

If you trap the rebounder and catch a elbow then to bad. Thats what you get for not givng the big guy who hustled for the rebound space. Stupid that they get punished for three guys jumping for a rebound and two of them being draped on the guy right after a rebound.
There should be a 2 second more then one defender pressing rule or something. Its one thing to trap on defense its another to mosh pit after a rebound.

I am all for charges not being called fouls as well. Sucks to watch players play timid on offnese because of charges. The college game isn't as spread as the NBA for that and neither do guys get 6 fouls(and they shouldn't), it would be to many Ft's. Anyway, why punish a guy twice? He already turned the ball over?

Timeouts are important for getting the ball in during the press late in games.

Agree shot clock to 30 would be good.
Defenders who aren't vertical should not be rewarded. Defenders should not be allowed to lean over a man to inhibit his movement.

How about calling a "travel". 90% of guards that catch a pass at the top of the key take 3-4 steps then stop, then dribble. Gets ridiculous sometimes.

Yeah that kinda bugs me also.

If you want to watch the NBA, then watch the NBA! The only thing I would change on the clock is 10 seconds in back court

The NBA has some rules that are better than college; there's nothing wrong with wanting to see them in the college game.

Yeah that kinda bugs me also.

The NBA has some rules that are better than college; there's nothing wrong with wanting to see them in the college game.
Strongly disagree. The college game is what it is. It is a blend of amatures with a wide range of skills. I use to watch the NBA but stopped when it became a 48 minute contest to be on a highlight reel. To move the college game in that direction would be a shame.