Running game problems | Syracusefan.com

Running game problems

Crusty

Living Legend
I am of the school that says running the ball is necessary to win on a consistent basis.
We are 17th in the ACC rushing with only 3.6 ypa and 95 ypg. AND while it is only 3 games, we have not exactly played the tough part of the schedule.
Unless we improve quickly we could be in for a long and disappointing season.

Yes, we all know that it takes time to develop the oline as it requires more coordination and understanding than any other unit. However, how we do we fix it this season?
We already rush less than 40%.
Can we live on the strength of our passing game? I really don't know.
The season starts in two weeks so it is good we have HC this week. At least I think so.

I am of the school that says running the ball is necessary to win on a consistent basis.
We are 17th in the ACC rushing with only 3.6 ypa and 95 ypg. AND while it is only 3 games, we have not exactly played the tough part of the schedule.
Unless we improve quickly we could be in for a long and disappointing season.

Yes, we all know that it takes time to develop the oline as it requires more coordination and understanding than any other unit. However, how we do we fix it this season?
We already rush less than 40%.
Can we live on the strength of our passing game? I really don't know.
The season starts in two weeks so it is good we have HC this week. At least I think so.

I don't put a ton of stock into the numbers yet.

I do agree that rushing, it seems like an issue and I would love to be more balanced there. However we've played 3 games, 2 of those in conference. Looking at some of the better running teams in the ACC... their schedules haven't exactly been heavyweights.

Things will get thrown off if we run for a bunch vs HC, but we're also 2nd in passing yards/game. Given our QB/pass catchers im okay being pass heavy

We are also 16th in D rushing ypg and 17th in rushing ypc. We have been bad on both O & D lines. Last year we were 6th in D ypc and 8th in ypg. On O we were 8th in O ypg. To be fair some of that was running the QB. So why the big drop?

We are also 16th in D rushing ypg and 17th in rushing ypc. We have been bad on both O & D lines. Last year we were 6th in D ypc and 8th in ypg. On O we were 8th in O ypg. To be fair some of that was running the QB. So why the big drop?

Again I think 3 games in, the difference in QB style is exactly the reason for the big drop. We have a 300 yard passer 3 times (out of 3) this year. In the previous SIXTY TWO Syracuse games we had 4 (2 for Shrader, 2 for DeVito)

The defensive side concerns me the same, but I am not yet concerned about low rushing numbers on O just yet.

lou ran for 290/230 then 57 vs GT we ran for the most GT has allowed

Ohio has 4 games and kentucky wore them down because the QB didnt play so they couldnt move the ball at all.

Stan allowed 100/25 and 26 Lets see what the do vs Clemson.

Again I think 3 games in, the difference in QB style is exactly the reason for the big drop. We have a 300 yard passer 3 times (out of 3) this year. In the previous SIXTY TWO Syracuse games we had 4 (2 for Shrader, 2 for DeVito)

The defensive side concerns me the same, but I am not yet concerned about low rushing numbers on O just yet.

The totals are a problem on O but the ypc not so much. We just haven't tried to run. LaQuint vs FBS last year had 4.18 ypc while this year he is at 5.42 ypc. Nixon and Willis though have been low in ypc this year.

You also had the wildcat offense which inflated the ability of the run game and the running backs last year.

lou ran for 290/230 then 57 vs GT we ran for the most GT has allowed

Ohio has 4 games and kentucky wore them down because the QB didnt play so they couldnt move the ball at all.

Stan allowed 100/25 and 26 Lets see what the do vs Clemson.
I will feel a lot better about our performance if they perform well against Clemson. I mistakenly assumed that Stanford run D numbers were so good because people were just opting to pass on them, but it does appear as if they are legit and that’s why teams focused on the pass. I also felt their guys did pretty good in coverage too and it was almost like they had our playbook. Nixon has to give different looks out of the same formations.

I think we're sticking our head in the sand if we think our running game is where it should be. Regardless of which numbers you look at, you can watch the plays and see the lack of running room to know we're not that good there. Our oline just doesn't get push at the LOS. Too many times we've been behind the sticks after a bad running play and fortunately the passing game has been able to bail us out and get a first down. We need to get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom