Rutgers crowd was far more intimidating than any Duke crowd I've seen in 5 years | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers crowd was far more intimidating than any Duke crowd I've seen in 5 years

Pretty cool to see the lowly Scarlett Knights do something finally.
Those poor kids deserve to have something to cheer for. Could Rutgers actually make the NCAA tournament? Yes it is one of the seven signs of global apocalypse but I still think it would be interesting to see happen.

Pretty cool to see the lowly Scarlett Knights do something finally.
Welcome back, but I disagree with your premise.
1581376204955.png

I'm rooting for Rutgers to get in. I am sure they have some good fans amongst them, and they have waited a long time. To me its interesting to see teams that have missed for a long time to finally make it (excluding UConn - would like that streak to continue another 20 years)

I'm rooting for Rutgers to get in. I am sure they have some good fans amongst them, and they have waited a long time. To me its interesting to see teams that have missed for a long time to finally make it (excluding UConn - would like that streak to continue another 20 years)

RutgersAl

It's the best season they have had in 30 years. We suffer from been there done that syndrome.

I'm rooting for them to gag it all away. Can't stand anything about that school or their fans

Gross

This years basketball team has to be the first element of success they’ve had in the B1G in either sport surely? Don’t think football which was respectable at the end of the OBE has even won 2 B1G games in a season yet? They always had good home court in the RAC and played us tough when their teams were decent.

100% indifferent to their hoops program. Other than being scrappy for a couple years in the early 00s, they never caused us any problems whatsoever so I have nothing against them from that standpoint. I’m positive I haven’t watched them play since whenever we played them last. But their school/athletic department/fans in general seem like such a scrubby lot that I don’t feel any sympathy for them. I guess if the new coach is a decent guy, that would help? He’s not a naked windsprints or a show up at the game he’s suspended from in disguise kind of guy, right?

I went to the RAC for the first time this year to watch the UMass game and it was a different experience. Really unique gym and it’s probably a cool environment when it’s popping. But still screw Rutgers that’s the only positive thing you’ll get out of me

Looking at their schedule, they’ve got a tough next 5 games. Ohio State and Wisconsin who are both just average, but they’re on the road. Illinois and Penn State(away) who are surprisingly doing well. And Michigan. Who is down, but still.

If they’re “same old Rutgers”, they’ll lose all 5. We’ll see.

They’re 1-5 on the road in the league...4 road games left, and one of their home games is Maryland. Even if they’re not “same old Rutgers”, could be looking at a 2-5 type finish.

Last edited:
Let me take another crack at this because the thought of them blowing it is also quite entertaining to me. So I can't really be cheering for them. I was also hoping Northwestern would beat them yesterday, when I switched over to the BIG network and saw Northwestern up 7 with 5 to go. That would have been a brutal loss.

I think I am more "interested in the story" than cheering them on, That probably reflects my view better -- I like to see teams that are not typically in the tourney show up on the radar -- not necessarily win or get in at the end however. Rutgers on the bubble line is more interesting to me than say Mississippi St.

Syracuse used to have a good handle on hoops recruiting in Jersey. But now that Rutgers has emerged and Seton Hall is a national player (not to mention Villanova), that’s going to be hard to get back.

Syracuse used to have a good handle on hoops recruiting in Jersey. But now that Rutgers has emerged and Seton Hall is a national player (not to mention Villanova), that’s going to be hard to get back.
Not sure either program is worth worrying about. Rutgers hasn't made an NCAA tournament in 30 years. The hall has 1 tourney win in 20 years.

Eh. I can see where SU playing most of its league road games so far away as compared to when we were in the Big East can hurt us in recruiting. But Rutgers doesn’t even have that advantage over us. They’re a bigger fish out of water than we are, IMO.

Looking at their schedule, they’ve got a tough next 5 games. Ohio State and Wisconsin who are both just average, but they’re on the road. Illinois and Penn State(away) who are surprisingly doing well. And Michigan. Who is down, but still.

If they’re “same old Rutgers”, they’ll lose all 5. We’ll see.

They’re 1-5 on the road in the league...4 road games left, and one of their home games is Maryland. Even if they’re not “same old Rutgers”, could be looking at a 2-5 type finish.

You will need them to go 1-6, and even then they are probably hanging around on the line on Selection Sunday.

2-5 may lock them in the tourney. All seven of their games could end up being Q1 games. 5 of them will end up clearly Q1, and two border on Q1 (32 and 34 at home... just outside of #30)

That would give them 4 or 5 Q1 wins, 8 Q1+Q2 wins, and a passable 8-11 record against Q1+Q2.

They would also have a NET in the mid to late 30's in this scenario.

The BIG metrics advantage is so huge this year.

Eh. I can see where SU playing most of its league road games so far away as compared to when we were in the Big East can hurt us in recruiting. But Rutgers doesn’t even have that advantage over us. They’re a bigger fish out of water than we are, IMO.

Folks here lose their minds the second anyone brings up Rutgers or, say, Seton Hall as suddenly someone to reckon with in recruiting. But for many years, we could almost pick and choose recruits in that area. That’s changed.

Folks here lose their minds the second anyone brings up Rutgers or, say, Seton Hall as suddenly someone to reckon with in recruiting. But for many years, we could almost pick and choose recruits in that area. That’s changed.

According to 2 4 7, Rutgers last 3 classes were ranked: 61, 124(1 man class though), and 51. Out of their 8 recruits in that span, only 2 were from NJ. Doesn’t look like they’re much of a factor yet?

Seton Hall: 67, 101, 87. Zero Jersey kids. They’ve been doing it with transfers i think.

According to 2 4 7, Rutgers last 3 classes were ranked: 61, 124(1 man class though), and 51. Out of their 8 recruits in that span, only 2 were from NJ. Doesn’t look like they’re much of a factor yet?

Seton Hall: 67, 101, 87. Zero Jersey kids. They’ve been doing it with transfers i think.

Yeah, “yet” is the operative word.

Myles Powell is a Jersey kid. They wouldn’t be the same team without him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom