Rutgers Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Game Thread...

Awesome win! Not to be negative - but a Virginia 4th quarter meltdown away from being 4-1. Still looking solid though.

Thanks for the score updates. Does that make 12 goals in our last 2 fourth quarters?

Rutgers falls apart in the 4th quarter again. How Rutgerian.

They know who they are and what needs to be done to stay there.

That zone defense was a disaster. Thank God for our stellar face off guys.

Quick Take:

Rutgers 1s are legitimate, they lack depth for the highest level talent games. Depending on how good Buckeye State is may determine whether Rutgers gets the invite. Edelman is a great goalie, career day ruined by great offense!. Though our shot placement was poor, he did his job and had several great saves on his doorstep. Rutger's D wore down, especially against the up-tempo play in the second half.

Offensively, we play crappy with the set plays. Need to greenlight transition. We have the depth (as seen last week and this week!) to run opposition into the ground. When the attack is actually attacking, good things happen and the level up play skyrockets. Rehfuss shows why he is a key player, takes a top defender, passes and makes the offense move.

Defensively were played poorly in the first half, allowing three easy scores to start the game (yes, the refs gave them a freebie, too, as seen in replay, the goal should not have counted.). Once teh D woke up, the Rutger's high power offense slowed down...and wore down. Porter with the slow start. He looks stiff on the low shots. He improved in the second half. Lots of great saves, too.

Great game, 4-2. We can beat anyone. Unfortunately, we can lose to anyone, too. Need to keep focus and let the kids play. And undefeated in Big10 play! Who says the Big10 is the best conference?

Been huge today. Wing play really picked it up this half and have been really aggressive.
We have three very good lsm's and somewhat wasting them. Kennedy marked Mullins in last six minutes and silenced him just like last year. If any cd has bad matchup then gotta consider dropping Kennedy or even Fusco earlier. Porter had good 2nd half, not sure why slow starts. Perhaps warmups need to be altered somewhat for him

Yes.
Any sport but losing to Rutgers in football right now would hurt the most.

Lot of nice stats to digest. Offense unreal. 57 shots and 18 goals vs a top tier goalie! Trimbo and Solomon 4 goals, Voigt 3-1-4, Refhus 1-3- 4, Curry ,Lipka, Cook all 2-1-3. Faceoffs 27-36 , Phaup 15-20, Varello 12-16 . Fernandez 8 gb's. Kennedy 4 gbs , four caused turnovers.

Crazy thing is Cuse can play alot better than they did today

I really like Powell as a color guy. He has great insights. His voice isn't real polished, but I'd rather hear his own, natural voice than a fake announcer voice.

He has a dry delivery but far better knowledge than most others with the ability to break it down to the average fan level. He loves the game and knows what he is talking about but does not have to hear himself talking, like QK.

He has a dry delivery but far better knowledge than most others with the ability to break it down to the average fan level. He loves the game and knows what he is talking about but does not have to hear himself talking, like QK.

A very down-to-earth delivery, like you are at the bar watching the game with a buddy.

Eagle kid is a very good announcer but nothing like listening to the insight provided by Ryan Powell.

Eagle is good, I agree. Today's play-by-play guy, though, was Dana Grey. He did a solid job -- I hadn't heard him call lacrosse before -- he jsut needs to stop using "straight away" pretty much anytime the guy with the ball has it between the numbers ... at one point, I thought he was about to describe GLE as "straight away." Fortunately, he doesn't do it as much as when he does a basketball game on the radio, where one might think he's describing a race at Daytona. He's a college senior, though, so he has time to eliminate that.

The comment about Powell sent me down a rabbit hole about him as a broadcaster. I agree he's a strong analyst. His knowledge of the sport comes through, but he's far from being a homer, and he's not afraid to state the truth even if it's not pretty. He'd been complimentary to date about Porter's solid preformance in goal, but he didn't gild the lily today regarding the goalie OR the defense as a whole. That's a nice change from the color guy on the radio, who makes me want to hurt myself with the seagull-like screeching after a goal.

I'd hope Powell would want to continue as an analyst becaue his content is so good, but he needs to show a little more enthusiasm -- not necessarily Fetterly-level -- when the going is good for the home team. It was good to hear it today when SU finally was pulling away.

More important, his people need to get him some coaching on his diction if he has designs on a bigger stage. Kessenich has managed to train the Nassau County out of his voice, and it's not easy to tell by listening that Carcaterra is a downstater. Powell, by contrast, fights a losing battle with that CNY thing (also big in the Binghamton area) where if there's a "T" past the midpoint of a word, it gets pronounced like an H. (Epic moment: when SU hoops fans wanted football lineman/basketball walk-on Melvin Tuten inserted at the end of basketball blow-outs, they'd chant "we want Tooh-'en!") Today's "ca'h-and-mouse game" where "the defenseman got caugh'h" had me considering calling a translation service. And a reference to legendary LSM "Joel Why'h" almost sent me to a directory before I figured out who it meant.

It's great when a little of that bleeds through because it speaks to the guy's home, but it's the kind of thing that'll keep a commentator from moving behind a local market. I've been out of CNY for almost a decade now, but I get back a couple times a year and I'm reminded what folks in the 315 sound like. It makes me smile, but Powell sounds extreme. The good news, though, is that it's easier to teach a knowledgable analyst to sound better than it is to teach a complicated sport to someone with good diction. And Powell can change it if he puts his mind to it -- pull up one of Nike's "Fast of Last" spots from a few years back and you'll hear the Ts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom