Rutgers Game Thread... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Game Thread...

He has a dry delivery but far better knowledge than most others with the ability to break it down to the average fan level. He loves the game and knows what he is talking about but does not have to hear himself talking, like QK.

I made a comment about the analyst early in this thread and didn't realize it was Ryan. To be honest, he sounded like he was half asleep. But he did get better as the game went along and the goals started coming hot and heavy and he did provide good analysis. Of course, I'm far from a lacrosse expert, so I'm not the best judge of his analysis anyway.

I made a comment about the analyst early in this thread and didn't realize it was Ryan. To be honest, he sounded like he was half asleep. But he did get better as the game went along and the goals started coming hot and heavy and he did provide good analysis. Of course, I'm far from a lacrosse expert, so I'm not the best judge of his analysis anyway.
It's just the way he talks. He has been the analyst on several games so far this year.

Personally, I think he sounds like Kevin Costner. But my wife thinks I'm crazy.
1552783758171.gif

I'm no expert, either. I learn a lot from this board and from Ryan Powel. People like Quint K. are so biased that their analysis is tainted and slanted to what they want the viewer to think rather than what really is, so much so, that as a casual fan, I can tell when he is blowing smoke (this is a family site). Powell tells it like it is, even though it may be against the Orange. He breaks down what both teams need to do and how to defend and attack each other, what players are seeing and thinking, just all around a great wealth of knowledge with a manner of teaching the fan. He has John Madden level knowledge with a Bob Newhart delivery.

I agree that his voice/delivery is monotone and could be improved. For his sake, he should get some professional coaching on his delivery, but then, if he doesn't he could be relegated to SU games only, not a bad option for us.

The ultimate highlight today has to be Solomon's fake behind the back goal. I don't think I have ever seen that move executed so smoothly before. It's not what a goalie is going to expect at all so Edelman bit hard. He turned a bad angle situation into a wide open opportunity where the goalie had no chance. It was beautiful!

Ryan is actually a pretty good analyst. His voice is just a tad monotone, but certainly knows the game.

The ultimate highlight today has to be Solomon's fake behind the back goal. I don't think I have ever seen that move executed so smoothly before. It's not what a goalie is going to expect at all so Edelman bit hard. He turned a bad angle situation into a wide open opportunity where the goalie had no chance. It was beautiful!
Tom Nelson, I saw him do it in the dome. Absolutely ridiculous move.

He doesn't fit into a box , a hybrid with a variety . Tremendous hand eye and body coordination.

He makes some freakish highlight plays. That fake was smooth and gorgeous and how bout that leaping catch and shoot at crease. Both done in one motion, both outstanding

He also caused two turnovers. Solomon, Voigt and Cook always busting on ride and it paid off yesterday

Said it before , Solomon underrated and under appreciated. Going to miss him next year, wish his younger brother came here

All four attackman excelled : Ten goals, Six assists combined yesterday,

Tim and Tom's nephew Jake is rs jr on current squad. 5th-6th on attack depth, smaller and slight but kid showed nice game in scrimmages

BTW, am I the only one developing a man-crush on Jared Fernandez? When's the last time a non-FOGO got eight ground balls in a single game? That young man plays with heart and quickness.

Seems like they've eased him back into the lineup but I agree when they run him and Kennedy on the wings they seem to have the most success.

BTW, am I the only one developing a man-crush on Jared Fernandez? When's the last time a non-FOGO got eight ground balls in a single game? That young man plays with heart and quickness.
amen

What a comeback and what a fourth quarter. Really impressed by the team's tenacity - a number of times they could have given the ball back to Rutgers but instead they fought like heck, won the ball back and scored. They were like a swarm of piranhas. The play that led to Voigt passing the ball over his head while falling down to Lipka for the goal really stands out in my mind. The team just refused to quit.

What a rollercoaster. At different times I wanted both Cook and Solomon benched - boy did they prove me wrong. Solomon got stripped a few times, stumbled a few times, yet came alive as the game went on. That fake was masterful. Cook was stoned on a breakaway when he of all places stuck the ball directly into the goalie's stick. But in the fourth quarter he played his best game to date. Really impressed how the offense has gelled - they are so unselfish and share the ball tremendously well. Nice to see Rhefuss have a strong day as well.

All that said - against better teams they will need to play the way they did in the fourth for longer stretches. The defense did not play well, seems like they struggled with the zone defense they implemented. Also did not love the match-ups - why was Mellen not guarding Mullins? I don't think they trusted Cunningham to mark the smaller/shiftier Gallahger. Seemed like in the second half they settled down more, but some sequences were really rough - thinking mostly of the play in which Helmer allowed Charalambides to waltz in untouched for an easy goal because of a communication issue. Just surprised it took as long as it did for SU to make adjustments.

I do wonder if there is a better way to utilize the three long stick midfielders. Maybe Cunningham and Bomberry just had off days, but I wonder if one of the midfielders would have been a better matchup with the attackmen? Fusco seems like too good of a player to be the third guy off the bench. Should the coaches be tinkering more with matchups? Or trust the close defensemen to figure things out?

In regards to depth, it seems like the coaches have settled on a crunch time unit rotation of the four top midfielders, and Cook rotating in at attack with Solomon sometimes bumping up to midfield. It is a little unorthodox to say the least, but I am impressed it worked as well as it did against Rutgers. I thought they might wear out but the offense just got stronger as the game went along. Again, credit big time to the new strength coach.

I thought the MVP award should have gone to face-off unit, it was a total team effort with how well the wings played but Varello was really outstanding at the end. Rutgers threw the kitchen sink at him and he really responded each time. What a performance.

Nope, Tom, his younger brother. Might of been his freshman year too. It was the first time i ever saw a fake like that. 1984 I believe.

Speaking of that era, pull up the Youtube vid of the end of the '83 championship game. No pocket depth in those days; Brad Kotz was simply a god.

The defense did not play well, seems like they struggled with the zone defense they implemented. Also did not love the match-ups - why was Mellen not guarding Mullins? I don't think they trusted Cunningham to mark the smaller/shiftier Gallahger. Seemed like in the second half they settled down more, but some sequences were really rough - thinking mostly of the play in which Helmer allowed Charalambides to waltz in untouched for an easy goal because of a communication issue. Just surprised it took as long as it did for SU to make adjustments.

I do wonder if there is a better way to utilize the three long stick midfielders. Maybe Cunningham and Bomberry just had off days, but I wonder if one of the midfielders would have been a better matchup with the attackmen? Fusco seems like too good of a player to be the third guy off the bench. Should the coaches be tinkering more with matchups? Or trust the close defensemen to figure things out?.

Similar thoughts here ...
* Gallagher would have been a tough matchup for Cunningham because of the size difference. Some big guys can go all Zdeno Chara and smother the little guys, but that doesn't seem like Marcus's game.

* If feels like we should have seen Murphy, had he been healthy, with a long pole during the defensive struggles early on.

* Had this been a year ago, I suspect we would have also seen DiPietro rotated in at some point. Anyone know if he's being redshirted, perhaps in anticipation of two defensive starters graduating? (Apologies if that's a dumb question; not being in CNY, I don't see the PS regularly -- yes, I know I can pay for online access -- and they have Kramer, who's not a lacrosse guy and who's spread so thin he can't do much, anyway.)

What a comeback and what a fourth quarter. Really impressed by the team's tenacity - a number of times they could have given the ball back to Rutgers but instead they fought like heck, won the ball back and scored. They were like a swarm of piranhas. The play that led to Voigt passing the ball over his head while falling down to Lipka for the goal really stands out in my mind. The team just refused to quit.

What a rollercoaster. At different times I wanted both Cook and Solomon benched - boy did they prove me wrong. Solomon got stripped a few times, stumbled a few times, yet came alive as the game went on. That fake was masterful. Cook was stoned on a breakaway when he of all places stuck the ball directly into the goalie's stick. But in the fourth quarter he played his best game to date. Really impressed how the offense has gelled - they are so unselfish and share the ball tremendously well. Nice to see Rhefuss have a strong day as well.

All that said - against better teams they will need to play the way they did in the fourth for longer stretches. The defense did not play well, seems like they struggled with the zone defense they implemented. Also did not love the match-ups - why was Mellen not guarding Mullins? I don't think they trusted Cunningham to mark the smaller/shiftier Gallahger. Seemed like in the second half they settled down more, but some sequences were really rough - thinking mostly of the play in which Helmer allowed Charalambides to waltz in untouched for an easy goal because of a communication issue. Just surprised it took as long as it did for SU to make adjustments.

I do wonder if there is a better way to utilize the three long stick midfielders. Maybe Cunningham and Bomberry just had off days, but I wonder if one of the midfielders would have been a better matchup with the attackmen? Fusco seems like too good of a player to be the third guy off the bench. Should the coaches be tinkering more with matchups? Or trust the close defensemen to figure things out?

In regards to depth, it seems like the coaches have settled on a crunch time unit rotation of the four top midfielders, and Cook rotating in at attack with Solomon sometimes bumping up to midfield. It is a little unorthodox to say the least, but I am impressed it worked as well as it did against Rutgers. I thought they might wear out but the offense just got stronger as the game went along. Again, credit big time to the new strength coach.

I thought the MVP award should have gone to face-off unit, it was a total team effort with how well the wings played but Varello was really outstanding at the end. Rutgers threw the kitchen sink at him and he really responded each time. What a performance.
Voigt and Solomon go all out on rides and it paid off. Offense hummed but still need 5-6th mids to play and contribute. Fogos and O won this game , D was off. . Kennedy held Mullins scoreless last year, understand integral to transition but if problems then why not drop the #32 pick in MLL down to cd?

Varello and Phaup were terrific and Fernandez a hoover. Porter poor 1q but bounced back nicely. Team shows no quit but can't afford another slow start to Duke.

Good post, will have some thoughts tomorrow but agree on just about everything. SU did bump Kennedy down to mark Mullins in the 4th. Having Fusco and Fernandez back at full health Kennedy needs to play more close D hes our 2ne best defender after Mellen. Mellen was on Gallagher as he had been the main Dodger the last two games after getting moved from the 1st midfield for Coyne. Mellen locked Gallagher down but Cunningham and Bomberry struggled. When teams are loaded at attack like that we need to bump Kennedy

Similar thoughts here ...
* Gallagher would have been a tough matchup for Cunningham because of the size difference. Some big guys can go all Zdeno Chara and smother the little guys, but that doesn't seem like Marcus's game.

* If feels like we should have seen Murphy, had he been healthy, with a long pole during the defensive struggles early on.

* Had this been a year ago, I suspect we would have also seen DiPietro rotated in at some point. Anyone know if he's being redshirted, perhaps in anticipation of two defensive starters graduating? (Apologies if that's a dumb question; not being in CNY, I don't see the PS regularly -- yes, I know I can pay for online access -- and they have Kramer, who's not a lacrosse guy and who's spread so thin he can't do much, anyway.)

Agreed about Murphy, think he would have matched up better on Charalambides then Bomberry. Dipietro is RS from what I understand. Cunningham is a good defender but he struggles with speed guys, no way could SU put him on Gallagher.

Agreed about Murphy, think he would have matched up better on Charalambides then Bomberry. Dipietro is RS from what I understand. Cunningham is a good defender but he struggles with speed guys, no way could SU put him on Gallagher.

I actually like Cunninghams speed this year. All things considered I think he did a solid job on Kraus when they went at it. Forced him to a lot of bad angle shots. I still wouldn't take him out of the picture if a team has two lightening quick attack. Gallagher is no kraus and I think he could have handled him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom