Rutgers Preview | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Preview

RutgersAl

Walk On
Rutgers has seen significant improvement from the Chris Ash years, having played competitively with Nebraska, and Michigan last year, and beaten Michigan State and Maryland. Greg Schiano has come in and revitalized the program, recruiting on a higher level, and improving upon the strength and conditioning of the players. We will also soon be raising funds for a new football facility, which should allow Rutgers to recruit better.

The team is led by Senior Captain Noah Vedral, who was a Nebraska transfer. Noah is very intelligent, knows the playbook, and is a gritty football player, and is able to beat teams with his feet and legs. Noah's play was the biggest reason Rutgers was much improved last year. His favorite target was Senior Bo Melton, who averaged over 70 yards in receptions per game LY, a huge boost from prior season. Bo has gotten better over the past five years, and we all have hopes that he will be drafted.
Bo is complemented by WR Aron Cruickshank, who is one of the most dangerous returners in college football, and is starting to come into his own as a wide receiver, averaging 26 yards receiving last year. Shameen Jones rounds out the trio, averaging 42 yards receiving last year. 6'4" Isaiah Washington is the most talented of the bunch, and has played in reserve. He figures to break out, one of these games. 6'4" Jovani Haskins is the tight end, who has made some nice catches and nice plays sealing the edge, on running plays. Isaih Pacheco is the running back, and runs exceptionally hard, and is a threat to take it the distance on any given play. He is complemented by Aaron Young, who is a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield, as well as Kyle Monangai runs hard between the tackles. The Big Ten Caliber Line is led by Jr Raiqwon O'Neal, who goes 6'4" 305 lbs. I expect Raiqwon to be drafted. Jr Cedrice Paillant, 6'4" 310 lbs is the left guard, and plays physically. Sr Nick Krimin 6'5" 315 lbs is the Center, and plays especially nasty at times. Right Guard is Jr 6'4" 305 lb Reggie Sutton, who moves from tackle to guard this year, and is especially effective at pulling and trapping. Sr. Brendan Bordner is the Right Tackle, and his play is a key reason why the play of Rutgers line. is much improved. Coming off the bench is 6'4" 315 lb Brian Felter and 6'8" Hollin Pierce at Tackle. These two guys are freshman, who joined the program last year, and have significant potential.

Rutgers Defense is much improved, and should be one of the best in the nation, this year. It is led by Sr. Linebacker Olakunle Fatukasi, an All American Candidate, who should be drafted and have a long career in the NFL, just like his brother, who plays for the Jets. He is complemented by Sr. Middle Linebacker Tyshonn Fogg who plays smart and physical. Drew Singleton is playing well as the WLB and has great range. The Linebackers are the strength of the defense.

The Defensive line is much improved from prior years, thanks to maturity and improvement in Strength and Conditioning. The line is led by 5th year Senior, Nose Tackle Julius Turner, 6'0 275 lbs. Don't let his smaller size fool you, as he is very difficult to block, and regularly penetrates opponents backfields, blowing up plays, before they can begin. He is complemented by Jr Defensive Tackle Mayan Ahanatou, who goes 6'4" 285 lbs. Sr Temple Transfer Ifeanyi Maijeh will see significant reps too. Sr Mike Tverdov, 6'4" 275 lbs is the SDE and Sr CJ Onyechi 6'4" is the WDE.

Rutgers Secondary is led by Sr. SS Christian Izien, a hard hitter, who has a chance for All Conference Honors. Sr Avery Young is the Free Safety, and moved over from Cornerback. Former OSU Transfer, Sr. CB Trey Avey is probably our most draftable player as he has the speed and technique to successfully defend opposing receivers.
Freshman Max Melton is the Other starting corner, and had an interception for a TD against Temple.

Our punter, Adam Korsak, is All American caliber. Our Kicker is Valentino Ambrosio.

Our Coordinators are excellent, with Shawn Gleeson, improving Rutgers offense significantly last year, and Robb Smith doing the same for the defense. Though Schiano has a lot of input, as to how the defense is run.

Rutgers is going to try to run the ball stop the run, and pass enough to keep SU off balance. Should be a great game.

Rutgers 37
SU 27

RutgersAl - Did most of these guys sit and rest the first game against Temple? I’m reading all the things these players can do but saw almost no evidence of it against Temple despite the score.

I’m guessing last week Schiano rested all the NFL guys to help get ready for the National Championship game?

were four years away from competing with ohio state.

/ four years later….

RutgersAl said:

// another four years later….

RutgersAl said:

It’s like Groundhog Day.
Except - plot twist! - time is actually going by, not repeating.

Last edited:
RutgersAl - Did most of these guys sit and rest the first game against Temple? I’m reading all the things these players can do but saw almost no evidence of it against Temple despite the score.

I’m guessing last week Schiano rested all the NFL guys to help get ready for the National Championship game?
Game 1, they knocked the cobwebs out. Game 2 should be much better.

Appreciate the write up.

I feel a lot better seeing Duce, Jahad and Garrett coming around the corner to stop the edge on runs than I did in years past. Wax, Caleb and Thompson help stop the run as well.

pounding the under

Al, welcome back. Disappointed it took you until game day to drop by!

Funny story. When I lived in Manhattan, I worked with a fellow huge college football fan. He was from DC and followed Maryland as sort of a secondary team. He was telling me about the message board and when the Big 10 invite came, this guy from the Rutgers board stopped by and made these ENORMOUS claims. And that's when I learned that RutgersAl is a legend among multiple fan bases.

Really? When “were” you that close?

I agree with others here in that your return helps build a sense of normalcy. It brought a smile to my face…and then not surprisingly, a chuckle and eye roll at your boundless optimism. But the season is early…we can all dream a little.

Really? When “were” you that close?

I agree with others here in that your return helps build a sense of normalcy. It brought a smile to my face…and then not surprisingly, a chuckle and eye roll at your boundless optimism. But the season is early…we can all dream a little.
2014 was the last time we had a team that finished in the middle of the Big Ten.

Wonder who’s gonna have more players drafted this year, rutgers or bama?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom