Ryder Garnsey ruled ineligible for Notre Dame in 2019 | Syracusefan.com

Ryder Garnsey ruled ineligible for Notre Dame in 2019

Wow. He was doing the whole thing with possibly transferring to UVA last year too. Also has been a rather inconsistent space cadette at times on the field. This is not the most surprising news I guess. Too bad we won't be able to see him work his magic with the shot clock and the dive rule in place. He was extremely entertaining to watch. At least one of our games just got way easier.

Garnsey was extremely talented but inconsistent and his production was never as good as his lax standing . From afar knowing nothing, his wish to transfer could not have been unifying .

A loss on field but probably not that great a blow as ND is not bereft of talent to replace.

ND has recruited the two premier attackman in NJ over the last two years, namely Morin in 17 class and Westlin in 18 . Both were exceptional in HS and this likely opens the door for at least one of them to start.

Garnsey was extremely talented but inconsistent and his production was never as good as his lax standing . From afar knowing nothing, his wish to transfer could not have been unifying .

A loss on field but probably not that great a blow as ND is not bereft of talent to replace.

ND has recruited the two premier attackman in NJ over the last two years, namely Morin in 17 class and Westlin in 18 . Both were exceptional in HS and this likely opens the door for at least one of them to start.

While you make some good points, ND's offense struggled mightily last year especially when Corrigan benched Garnsey. He is by far their best attackmen despite an up and down career to date. While this certainly could open things up for some of the younger guys this is still a massive blow.

While you make some good points, ND's offense struggled mightily last year especially when Corrigan benched Garnsey. He is by far their best attackmen despite an up and down career to date. While this certainly could open things up for some of the younger guys this is still a massive blow.

That is a good point, stats do not necessarily tell all. He was a focus of D's

On another note , Im pleased to see that ND still holds to their academic standards and did not make exceptions for talent. Lax should be secondary to the classroom for all players

Fortunately, Cuse has great academic support services, despite that we can likely expect to lose a player or two this year as well.

They will struggle mightily replacing Garnsey this season. I would say Gleason gave Garnsey a run for his money as ND's best attack (9 points less than him on the season and was out for 3 games for what it's worth). Despite his inconsistency Garnsey always drew the top D Pole on teams because he was so dangerous. There were games when he could seemingly score at will like the playoff game against Denver last year. That being said Garnsey was far less of a threat than, for instance, Matt Kavanagh before him. 14 assists last season when you're expected to be the alpha QB of the attack is pretty much unacceptable. Kavanagh never came close to being under 20. Gleason will still need to step up in a huge way if they want to be successful this year. Mediocre fogo/goalie and Sexton is gone. ND is a very winnable game.

They will struggle mightily replacing Garnsey this season. I would say Gleason gave Garnsey a run for his money as ND's best attack (9 points less than him on the season and was out for 3 games for what it's worth). Despite his inconsistency Garnsey always drew the top D Pole on teams because he was so dangerous. There were games when he could seemingly score at will like the playoff game against Denver last year. That being said Garnsey was far less of a threat than, for instance, Matt Kavanagh before him. 14 assists last season when you're expected to be the alpha QB of the attack is pretty much unacceptable. Kavanagh never came close to being under 20. Gleason will still need to step up in a huge way if they want to be successful this year. Mediocre fogo/goalie and s e xton is gone. ND is a very winnable game.
ND is so tough to figure out. Looked so good in ACC tourney. IL had them at #5 in preseason rankings despite Sexton graduation so season expectations were high .

Kind of curious if Garnsey ever plays for ND again? Given that he has to sit out 2019, I believe he could play for anyone in 2020. After the "almost" move to UVA, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Sherlock Holmsian analysis based on the evidence: He still wanted to transfer to UVA in 2017 but didn't have the grades.

Anyone correct if Im wrong on any front. Think Garnsey loses eligibility for 2019 season per NCAA residency requirement but if he begins attending another d1 by the fall of 19 he would be eligible to play 20" season f including any ACC team since he'd be out a year . To stir the pot some , he comes from New Hampshire. Syracuse is only five hour drive away.

He is also excellent at chirping. We have had a lack of solid chirping since Nick Mariano left. That gap in the offensive scheme needs to be filled.

Have to wonder if we could possibly be a transfer destination for next year. We were one of his finalists out of HS and his brother Charles is an '04 SU grad who played club hockey & wrote for the DO.

Kind of crazy to speculate on what the roster might look like a year from now - but if I had to guess I would say Cook and Rhefuss would be most likely to start and I would put Seebold as the leader in the clubhouse to be the third starter. I don't know if I see an incoming freshmen competing for a starting spot right away. A lot of variables going on, but I think a lot depends on how the coaches feel about Seebold/Cook and if they are comfortable with them as the starters. On the face of it I like that trio, but we have to see how they perform this season. The one issue I might have is they wouldn't have a true "shooter" in the Voigt/Bomberry mold, but certainly Garnsey wouldn't fill that if he were to come.

And big disclaimer, Garnsey would actually have to want to come to SU, no sure thing at all.

Agree Powell, right to focus now on 19' team and season, plenty of time after the 19" season to speculate about 20'. Understand improvement always sought but prefer allegiance and opportunity first to those here so any interest and contact should come from any potential transfer not vice versa. Beyond Cook and Seebold, we have the talents of Berkman, Lauder, Auburn and others developing as well also as some attack men arriving in the class of 2019 . Think we will be just fine this year and next. May the force be with us.

Kind of crazy to speculate on what the roster might look like a year from now - but if I had to guess I would say Cook and Rhefuss would be most likely to start and I would put Seebold as the leader in the clubhouse to be the third starter. I don't know if I see an incoming freshmen competing for a starting spot right away. A lot of variables going on, but I think a lot depends on how the coaches feel about Seebold/Cook and if they are comfortable with them as the starters. On the face of it I like that trio, but we have to see how they perform this season. The one issue I might have is they wouldn't have a true "shooter" in the Voigt/Bomberry mold, but certainly Garnsey wouldn't fill that if he were to come.

And big disclaimer, Garnsey would actually have to want to come to SU, no sure thing at all.
An important dynamic in the play of both Kavanaugh and Garnsey at ND was serious injury after their freshman year. Kavanaugh's effectiveness suffered greatly in all the years after his injury, as did Garnsey's. Kavanaugh seemed to use himself up during his time on the field in his last three years. He seemed to exert an all out effort every time he touched the ball in faints, short all out sprints with the ball, attempts to avoid long sticks when he did not have the ball. Garnsey only became effective last year when he rested during many of ND's possessions. He chose his spots. I think ND coaches instill an ethic of all out effort every where all the time. Even that big strong, middie Perco... looked worn out in his senior year. His effectiveness suffered greatly. Garnsey was at his best during his freshman year. Part of good coaching is to understand and communicate the need to martial a player's resources while he is on the field. Injuries often occur during moments when players who are very tired, try to push themselves beyond their limits. I know the cliche that one can find more energy and more and more. The cliche that one does not know his real limits. BS all of it.

One more caveat. I watched Garnsey on and off the field the past three years. I think he might be more trouble than he is worth. He is prone to mope, pout and withdraw when he is not happy. Even at times on the field. After a couple of these, I would say good bye no matter how talented.

One more caveat. I watched Garnsey on and off the field the past three years. I think he might be more trouble than he is worth. He is prone to mope, pout and withdraw when he is not happy. Even at times on the field. After a couple of these, I would say good bye no matter how talented.
Completely agree.

DxDnT-kXgAAbDhK.jpg:large

So, if he wants to play at Notre Dame in 2020, wouldn’t he need to unenroll this spring and re-enroll next January?

Didn’t Rob Pannell do something like that because of injury?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom