Class of 2020 - S Ben Labrosse (QC) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/27/19) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 S Ben Labrosse (QC) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/27/19)

That's fine -- but maybe the fanbase just needs to recognize that this coaching staff has done an exceptional job identifying talent and bringing in guys capable of going toe-to-toe with athletes from top programs -- and avoid ring alarm bells in June / July.
I don't think it was the majority of posters wringing their hands about who was committing. More like a select few who kept posting the same thing over and over.

That's fine -- but maybe the fanbase just needs to recognize that this coaching staff has done an exceptional job identifying talent and bringing in guys capable of going toe-to-toe with athletes from top programs -- and avoid ring alarm bells in June / July.
Oh sure, not disputing that at all. The staff knows what they are doing.

Basically the only wart is that by appearances we've whiffed on our top QB targets the past two recruiting cycles. I think that's coloring some perception. I get it. Add the CT or Canuck to this class and I think everybody is flying high and convinced the class is great.

Oh sure, not disputing that at all. The staff knows what they are doing.

Basically the only wart is that by appearances we've whiffed on our top QB targets the past two recruiting cycles. I think that's coloring some perception. I get it. Add the CT or Canuck to this class and I think everybody is flying high and convinced the class is great.

What's ironic is that based on Dino's system QB and WR would be in theory the two easiest positions for SU to recruit for. While we certainly had quite the haul two year ago at WR, last year was 1 guy after Burnett's last de-commit and while were after several top end guys this years so far zippo at WR. That said we appear to be killing it everywhere else. A secondary that is loaded with more young guys in the wings and committed, a real nice crop of rbs and olinemen, a legit TE that we haven't seen in years, and a steady diet of high end lbs and special teams players. D-line is a bit concerning but only because the young guys are unproven at least till this point. As I pointed out about a month ago, people panicking were insane it was late June/Early July, Babers has shown he and the staff can clearly recruit and continue to bring in above average kids everywhere. My only concern is that QB position and getting one of these high 4 stars WR's which will be a battle and even that agnst is overblown. The real concern is another school overpaying to get these guys, clearly they know what they heck there doing.

What's ironic is that based on Dino's system QB and WR would be in theory the two easiest positions for SU to recruit for. While we certainly had quite the haul two year ago at WR, last year was 1 guy after Burnett's last de-commit and while were after several top end guys this years so far zippo at WR. That said we appear to be killing it everywhere else. A secondary that is loaded with more young guys in the wings and committed, a real nice crop of rbs and olinemen, a legit TE that we haven't seen in years, and a steady diet of high end lbs and special teams players. D-line is a bit concerning but only because the young guys are unproven at least till this point. As I pointed out about a month ago, people panicking were insane it was late June/Early July, Babers has shown he and the staff can clearly recruit and continue to bring in above average kids everywhere. My only concern is that QB position and getting one of these high 4 stars WR's which will be a battle and even that agnst is overblown. The real concern is another school overpaying to get these guys, clearly they know what they heck there doing.
Yeah, the QB and WR stuff is baffling to me. The opportunity to shine in this system at those positions is off the charts. Again, it's early and we very well may land some top talent there by the end of the recruiting cycle, but not getting early commits there blows my mind.

I have zero insider information, but if we miss on high school talent at QB this year I have a hunch we'll be MAJOR players on the QB transfer market.

yes, and recognize that they do this every year, slower start, pick it up as they go. they are meticulous, they don't pressure kids to commit on the spot and then have flips all over the place. this is how Dino rolls. When Van Dyke committed to Miami, people lost their minds. even more than usual.

Jeremy, is this... optimism in your post? What has Dino done to you!? :cool:

Jeremy, is this... optimism in your post? What has Dino done to you!? :cool:

LOL, amazing what 10 wins will do. Recruiting to me at a school like Syracuse has to be judged differently then a big time school or say our bball program. People looking for top 25 classes regularly are going to be very dissapointed we just dont have that kind of cache/recruiting territory to make that happen. Dino has done the right think by hitting Canada, getting a lot of high 3 star guys and picking his spots where he has been able to get recruits that either had or did have top end power offers ie Nunn and that DE who had a Clemson offer. He has also done a nice job of getting guys in either under the radar (Szmyt) or through other means ie Alton Robinson. Hard not to be impressed by what we have seen so far.

Still there are some concerns, the lack of a high end QB recruit now 2 years in a row based on our style and Babers likability is concerning to say the least. We also are getting more involved with the big boys for more guys which past history has shown is always gamble that can leave you burned. I think if we can land 1 or 2 of those high end WR guys were after and another couple Dline guys this has the potential to be an outstanding class despite the lack of a high end QB (though I suspect we might grab a couple of 3 star guys and see if someone breaks out).

Still there are some concerns, the lack of a high end QB recruit now 2 years in a row based on our style and Babers likability is concerning to say the least. We also are getting more involved with the big boys for more guys which past history has shown is always gamble that can leave you burned. I think if we can land 1 or 2 of those high end WR guys were after and another couple Dline guys this has the potential to be an outstanding class despite the lack of a high end QB (though I suspect we might grab a couple of 3 star guys and see if someone breaks out).

Good post overall, Jeremy -- but I disagree with the highlighted section above, I think it substantially discounts David Summers, who was a quality "get" at QB last year. And "technically," they also landed the guy they wanted two years ago, although he transferred out.

I get that this year's results are disconcerting -- but let's see how it turns out. The staff still is actively pursuing some quality QB prospects who's names aren't on the recruiting forum yet.

I’m waiting for the first huge RB commitment. It’s undermentioned the opportunity due to touches alone an RB gets in Dino’s offense. Howard, Adams, Jordan etc. were all big gets but we need to win a Sulahaddin type battle.

It’s not the pass game that secures the pace and flow in Dino’s system. Its maintaining and dominating the run game.

Good post overall, Jeremy -- but I disagree with the highlighted section above, I think it substantially discounts David Summers, who was a quality "get" at QB last year. And "technically," they also landed the guy they wanted two years ago, although he transferred out.

I get that this year's results are disconcerting -- but let's see how it turns out. The staff still is actively pursuing some quality QB prospects who's names aren't on the recruiting forum yet.

I like Summers, I think for getting him when we did we really lucked out. That said he clearly wasn't one of our main targets and while I am glad we got him (especially with the transfer of another QB you noted) I can't sugar coat that were looking at possibly 3 years straight of not having our top 1-3 QB recruits on the roster after losing Amie to transfer. Certainly not the end of the world and as you noted I highly doubt the staff is just sitting idly bye shrugging their shoulders but its concerning none the less. If we can land at least one of those 4 start WR recruits and grab a quality QB like Summers in this class I think were still in great shape and will just have to hit it hard for 2021. I would actually like the staff to bring in 2 QB recruits this year, get the numbers up especially with losing the backup to graduation and Devito already NFL draft eligible should have an enormous season.

I like Summers, I think for getting him when we did we really lucked out. That said he clearly wasn't one of our main targets and while I am glad we got him (especially with the transfer of another QB you noted) I can't sugar coat that were looking at possibly 3 years straight of not having our top 1-3 QB recruits on the roster after losing Amie to transfer. Certainly not the end of the world and as you noted I highly doubt the staff is just sitting idly bye shrugging their shoulders but its concerning none the less. If we can land at least one of those 4 start WR recruits and grab a quality QB like Summers in this class I think were still in great shape and will just have to hit it hard for 2021. I would actually like the staff to bring in 2 QB recruits this year, get the numbers up especially with losing the backup to graduation and Devito already NFL draft eligible should have an enormous season.

Slightly different perspective -- he wasn't a top recruit on our board because he picked another school -- NOT because he wasn't good enough to play here. That he pivoted after what went down at Maryland last year and their coaching staff was terminated was good fortune -- this was not a stop-gap signing.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post. LGO!!!

Last edited:
I think the QB thing is a bit overblown.

We got the guy that we wanted from the jump in DeVito. He still has, at minimum, two more years to be here and be the man. Most likely three.

That would mean, a lot of these top guys are looking at Syracuse and saying "Well, they have a guy that was Elite 11, had Mississippi & Texas A&M after him, and likely will play the majority of the meaningful snaps for the next two years I'll be in college."

I think it far more likely that someone from the 2021 class (Canadian, perhaps) takes a look and says "Well, by the time I'm at Syracuse, DeVito will be a senior. If I redshirt, I'll be able to play four years. If I don't, I'll only need to wait one year for an open opportunity."

Babers & Co. are in a tough spot with selling the bill of goods you need to sell to get a top-flight QB. Unfortunately, we aren't Clemson or Texas or Alabama.

I think the QB thing is a bit overblown.

We got the guy that we wanted from the jump in DeVito. He still has, at minimum, two more years to be here and be the man. Most likely three.

That would mean, a lot of these top guys are looking at Syracuse and saying "Well, they have a guy that was Elite 11, had Mississippi & Texas A&M after him, and likely will play the majority of the meaningful snaps for the next two years I'll be in college."

I think it far more likely that someone from the 2021 class (Canadian, perhaps) takes a look and says "Well, by the time I'm at Syracuse, DeVito will be a senior. If I redshirt, I'll be able to play four years. If I don't, I'll only need to wait one year for an open opportunity."

Babers & Co. are in a tough spot with selling the bill of goods you need to sell to get a top-flight QB. Unfortunately, we aren't Clemson or Texas or Alabama.

good point, the big boys you reference can sell themselves quite easily based on national titles/pedigree, we have to sell playing time, which we can't at the moment. It's Tommy's job and in a perfect world he kills it this year and comes back next year and kills it again. if that happens, we can't expect to see him in 2021, which is called a rich man's problem.

Is Devito draft eligible after this season?

Is Devito draft eligible after this season?

Yes, you just have to be 3 years removed from HS. For Tommy that would be his RS year, last year, and this season. Would take a lot for him to get drafted next spring but certainly not impossible if he had a magical season.

I don't know why many SU fans have to establish Strawmen arguments overstating other fans concerns about recruiting. You can have concerns but others concerns are exaggerated as insanely panicking or overblown angst. How about there is, and will be and should always be thoughtful, measured, minimal concerns about recruiting. With every player we recruit there is probably other better recruits the coaches wanted. They are always concerned but our concerns are crazy.
Mahar is a solid recruit but let's not overstate what he brings to the program. I can list 6-7 TE recruits we wanted more that we offered. In fact Aaron Hackett could arguably considered a higher recruit.
Mahar's power 5 offers were SU, BC, Pitt, Indiana, Iowa St and Rutgers. Hackett's were: SU, Iowa St, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Wake Forest. Very similar. Let's not overstate what people post. If you disagree so be it, address the points and drop the judgement.

yep, you have to be 3 years out of high school, which he will be after this season.
It's very interesting to me that some here have suggested DeVito being eligible three years out of high school. He has to stay and learn how to lead a football team or NOT. The top talent will be much more interested in Syracuse if he stays and is a great QB, hopefully leading us to three 10 + win seasons and 3 bowl games and we, become a consistent top football school in the conference and country will benefit from his play IF he stays healthy. I say if he stays and has two to three very good to great seasons putting up BIG numbers then I see the scouts very interested in him and us even more so as a program. Hell, we don't know how he'll do against Liberty. Since Chance Amie transferred we really do not have a top threat. Dungey said Amie was the guy after him. I hope Tommy is as good as advertised and can keep the offense moving forward and the team winning.

It's very interesting to me that some here have suggested DeVito being eligible three years out of high school. He has to stay and learn how to lead a football team or NOT. The top talent will be much more interested in Syracuse if he stays and is a great QB, hopefully leading us to three 10 + win seasons and 3 bowl games and we, become a consistent top football school in the conference and country will benefit from his play IF he stays healthy. I say if he stays and has two to three very good to great seasons putting up BIG numbers then I see the scouts very interested in him and us even more so as a program. Hell, we don't know how he'll do against Liberty. Since Chance Amie transferred we really do not have a top threat. Dungey said Amie was the guy after him. I hope Tommy is as good as advertised and can keep the offense moving forward and the team winning.

I don't think anyone is truly suggesting he will leave after this year, it's just that by NFL rules, he is indeed eligible after this season. I expect him to do really well and expect him to be here this year and in 2020, after that, who the heck knows?

I love this kid's tape, he might be my favorite recruit in our class right now and would love to see what the sites would have him at if he played in the states.

Kid seems like a ballhawk and a physical freak. Well done to the staff leaving no stone unturned.