Class of 2018 - S Cameron Jonas (FL) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 S Cameron Jonas (FL) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE

I actually went in and did some updates to the 2015-2017 lists and some cleanup. I do that periodically just to note players that have departed the program and to catch any late signees I may have missed. And also to try to keep the formatting consistent.
Thank you for keeping those lists. We all appreciate them. They are a great quick reference.

Now I feel bad about keeping up on the 300+ 2018s, but please god don't let them offer that many for 2019.:(

No problem ACLs aren't career enders.
They are season Enders.

So just get healthy and the kid has talent.
The list of players who have come back from ACLs is miles deep.

I have no problem with keeping the committable offer on the table. The kid is a high end talent. I'd rather have to overcome an ACL before the Sr. year in HS then bring in the slew of 5'10 and below DB's we were getting before. ACL's you can come back from. If you're 5'10, you're 5'10

Probably 9-12 months before full return contingent on surgery and rehab. Safe play is redshirt in 2018.

The seeming reality from PS article is we got him because of our willingness to take him despite the recent injury. A chance that other programs werent willing to take and our program needs to be willing to take at this point.

Hopeful it pays off for us and him as he is a legit safety.

If other coaches aren't going to take a chance on a kid over an ACL then they're dopes.

I have no problem with keeping the committable offer on the table. The kid is a high end talent. I'd rather have to overcome an ACL before the Sr. year in HS then bring in the slew of 5'10 and below DB's we were getting before. ACL's you can come back from. If you're 5'10, you're 5'10

Cheap shot at some good football players on the roster, many who you were supportive of as recruits when they committed to us.

Additionally, although NFL players have gotten bigger in general lately there are still plenty of under 6' guys that are top college and NFL DB's. The myth that all prototypical DB's are 6"1 or bigger is just that - a myth.

If you can play DB at 5'10" there is a spot for you on most any college roster. That's a fact.

Woah. Has to do a double take to make sure I was seeing right. Huge get. The staff is rolling.

Cheap shot at some good football players on the roster, many who you were supportive of as recruits when they committed to us.

Additionally, although NFL players have gotten bigger in general lately there are still plenty of under 6' guys that are top college and NFL DB's. The myth that all prototypical DB's are 6"1 or bigger is just that - a myth.

If you can play DB at 5'10" there is a spot for you on most any college roster. That's a fact.

I know you really miss Shafer. It's ok though. It will be alright.

Double and triple like this

I know you really miss Shafer. It's ok though. It will be alright.

I didn't bring up coaching at all actually. I thought the discussion was on defensive backs height. You condescendingly premised that if you're 5'10" you can't play DB. That's false. It has nothing to do with Shafer or Babers or any other coach in college football. I don't have the time to show you just how badly mistaken you are (the examples are to numerous) but I'll give a recent example in the interest of time.

2016 season -

Jourdan Lewis - Michigan - 1st team AA - 5'10"
Adoree Jackson - USC - 1st team AA - 5"10"
Budda Baker - Washington - 2nd team AA - 5'10"
Desmond King - Iowa - 2nd team AA - 5'10"

All of the heights are from the NFL combine - not recruiting website self-reported heights. That's half of the 8 guys on the 1st and 2nd team AA rosters from last season at 5'10". It ain't about the size of the dog in the fight, its about the size of the fight in the dog - Mark Twain.

Its ok to be wrong though. It will be alright.

Great DB's come in all shapes and sizes. As much as I like Shaf, he brought in too many guys 5-10 or shorter. Thats a gamble in the ACC. Remember some of Shaf better secondary's had guys like Merkeson, Lyn, Anderson Whigham in it. he also had shorter guys like Shamarko Thomas. He didn't necessarily look at height. His big thing was hips. He likes guys that could flip their hips, transition in and out of breaks fast. He talked a lot about having good zone eyes.

Great DB's come in all shapes and sizes. As much as I like Shaf, he brought in too many guys 5-10 or shorter. Thats a gamble in the ACC. Remember some of Shaf better secondary's had guys like Merkeson, Lyn, Anderson Whigham in it. he also had shorter guys like Shamarko Thomas. He didn't necessarily look at height. His big thing was hips. He likes guys that could flip their hips, transition in and out of breaks fast. He talked a lot about having good zone eyes.

You can recruit undersized guys with success if they are burners and can jump through the roof - in general, we weren't getting that. We were getting undersized guys that were good athletes but not good enough to make up for their height/reach limitations on say, a quick slant for instance.

All things equal, I'll take a 6'2 DB over a 5'10 DB all day, all week and twice on Sundays.

You can recruit undersized guys with success if they are burners and can jump through the roof - in general, we weren't getting that. We were getting undersized guys that were good athletes but not good enough to make up for their height/reach limitations on say, a quick slant for instance.

All things equal, I'll take a 6'2 DB over a 5'10 DB all day, all week and twice on Sundays.

ESPECIALLY at Safety where Jonas was recruited to play. I am personally sick of tiny safeties getting run over.

You can have great undersized cover corners but it's our diminutive safeties that have been our crux. We're taking care of that

6-1 cover corners are extremely hard to find. Everybody puts a premium on it. We need to worry about safety size first, but it's clear we're getting bigger all over and there's a reason for that.

Its not really a matter of choosing a bigger guy. Of course you take a 6'2 guy over 5'10 guy with equal speed and athleticism. That's a no brainer. You can't always get the tall fast DB's to come to SU. You have to find those guys that might be shorter but are good athletes. Guys that were passed up by SEC teams because they were a couple inches too short. Shaf gambled bringing in Williams, Ellison and Cordy around the same time. Cordy panned out. Besides Ellison and Williams, who did Shaf bring in at DB that was short but lacked above average speed and athleticism? Jaston George was a reach, Jeremy Wilkes is the only one I can think of that played significantly. He was a better athlete than those two I mentioned. I am happy we are bringing in taller guys with speed and cover ability. Plus its better for the system they want to run.

Last edited:
Its not really a matter of choosing a bigger guy. Of course you take a 6'2 guy over 5'10 guy with equal speed and athleticism. That's a no brainer. You can't always get the tall fast DB's to come to SU. You have to find those guys that might be shorter but are good athletes. Guys that were passed up by SEC teams because they were a couple inches too short. Shaf gambled bringing in Williams, Ellison and Cordy around the same time. Cordy panned out. Besides Ellison and Williams, who did Shaf bring in at DB that was short but lacked above average speed and athleticism? Jaston George was a reach, Jeremy Wilkes is the only one I can think of that played significantly. He was a better athlete than those two I mentioned. I am happy we are bringing in taller guys with speed and cover ability. Plus its better for the system they want to run.

I think Wilkes had a solid offer from FSU late in the game,but stood by us.

I think Wilkes had a solid offer from FSU late in the game,but stood by us.
yup will never forget the INT at S Florida his freshman year. I had a good feeling after that game.

Its not really a matter of choosing a bigger guy. Of course you take a 6'2 guy over 5'10 guy with equal speed and athleticism. That's a no brainer. I have tall DB's in my current secondary but you can't always find them. You can't always get the tall fast DB's to come to SU. You have to find those guys that might be shorter but are good athletes. Guys that were passed up by SEC team because they were a couple inches too short. Shaf gambled bringing in Williams, Ellison and Cordy around the same time. Cordy panned out. Besides Ellison and Williams, who did Shaf bring in at DB that was short but lacked above average speed and athleticism? Jaston George was a reach, Jeremy Wilkes is the only one I can think of that played significantly. He was a better athlete than those two I mentioned. I am happy we are bringing in taller guys with speed and cover ability.

Randy McKinnon is one I can think of off hand. If we're counting both Shafer as a DC and HC. I'd have to actually go look at rosters and I don't feel like it for once lol.

Randy McKinnon is one I can think of off hand. If we're counting both Shafer as a DC and HC. I'd have to actually go look at rosters and I don't feel like it for once lol.
lol, i hear you though. I rather have tall athletic DB's. I do like Dowels. He will contribute if he stays healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom