Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

This thread is funny when taken in context of our prior few staffs years on the trail. It makes it apparent that in any given year, if you're all in on the HC then the fan base must trust the process and recruiting is fine no matter the outside evaluation of a prospect. Conversely, if you have some issues with the HC then recruiting is disaster and we'll never be able to win at a P5 level with our incoming prospects. This is hyperbolic but the point remains.

The current coaching staff has 8 wins in two years which continues a trend over the past 13 years in which we've won an average of about 4.5 games per year. The program has gone from beating Ohio St, Georgia and Clemson in bowl games to a perennial also ran that's made 3 bowl games in 13 seasons. The reasons for this downfall are as many as you would like to opine but the fact is we are currently bottom tier P5 program and trying to sell that product is very difficult.

The reality, in recruiting, with the fan base, with national perception, etc. is we need to win and we need to win now or this trend will continue as we move forward. The shiny new object that is #OITNF will get a little duller as time goes by if it doesn't produce wins. The competitiveness argument simply doesn't resonate enough with recruits when your track record shows 4-8 year after year after year. Need to have consistent 6+ wins and then you can sell the method.

P.S. This isn't a shot at Babers or at this recruit. Its just a general observation that came to mind when I read the back and forth in this thread. As previously stated, I'm a long time season ticket holder and with the squad whether good or bad and I'm old enough to remember the most recent glory days of SU football. These days I'd settle for bowl games on a consistent basis.

Just a fyi that I got off the Texas 6A football forum. Yes they have a forum for high school football in Texas.

North Shore@Katy, 8/31 Legacy Stadium, 6:30 pm

07-25-2018, 02:11 PM

A little early but will give us something to talk about leading up to probably the best opening game of high school football in the state. North Shore brings back 11 returners with 7 on offense and 4 on D. They will be led by all world Junior Zach Evans who rushed for 1,467 yards and 27 td's last year as a sophomore. Our super soph QB Dematrius Davis has been slinging it in camps and select 7 on 7 with his fellow soph WR Shadrach Banks. They are both Preseason MaxPreps Sophomore All Americans. The O Line is athletic and huge. 3 of them return and they average 6'1 and 295... The NS D is led by 2 D1 lineman, a Junior MLB that already has 8 D1 offers and what might be the best secondary in the state. Katy returns 6 starters. 4 on offense and 2 on D. Of course Katy has Deondrick Glass who has been a starter since his freshman year and Coach Joseph says the healthiest he has been. That means trouble for opposing teams. There QB might be the best passer at Katy in a long time and is only a sophomore. He is 6'0 already so seeing down field should be no problem. The D may have only 2 returners but Coach Joseph is one the best Defensive coaches in the state. They will be ready... So what say you... This game should be epic.

I plan on being there. (I coached the Backup sophomore MLBer for Katy in youth football. Dad and I are good friends. Kid was invited to SU's summer camp, but couldn't make it). Stadium holds 12,000 and it will be packed.

Glass is an absolute stud. Still not committed that I know of.

I plan on being there. (I coached the Backup sophomore MLBer for Katy in youth football. Dad and I are good friends. Kid was invited to SU's summer camp, but couldn't make it). Stadium holds 12,000 and it will be packed.

Glass is an absolute stud. Still not committed that I know of.

Most of the preseason write-ups I've seen have all pointed to North Shore's secondary as being really good and Hewett has been mentioned in all but 1.

I think it should be pretty obvious if he's a reach or not.

Look forward to your feedback on the game.

Last edited:
It's not about star rankings. It's about offers. In the modern recruiting game, there aren't a ton of under the radar guys out there that are above average ACC starter quality not getting offers from anywhere. I understand taking a few per class. You can't make a class out of kids with no other P5 offers and hope to compete against Clemson, FSU, NCState and even the lower end of our division (peer schools). This board blasted Shafer for classes that didn't even look this bad on paper. I'll say it again. We need wins. Badly. Brohm had a 7-6 season at Purdue and has a top 25 recruiting class at the moment. Purdue!!!

Lol. We loved all of Shafer’s classes too. It’s what we do.

Name me one kid that committed to Babers that they recruited over. I think you are confusing players transferring out that were recruited by the previous staff.
Cam DeGeorge...however I think that was a mistake. He is probably UConn's best OL

Kid reminds me a lot of Carl Jones.

Not sure if this is a good thing? Jones has not impressed me much. Has the size but doubt he plays meaningful defensive snaps at SU.

Not sure if he was rated by anyone before committing, but twohundredfortyseven gives him a composite score of .8054, which is a low 3 star. Further makes you wonder about the lack of any D1 offers.

Not sure if he was rated by anyone before committing, but twohundredfortyseven gives him a composite score of .8054, which is a low 3 star. Further makes you wonder about the lack of any D1 offers.
We’re on him early. Same with cole. Watch the ratings go up from here.

Not sure if this is a good thing? Jones has not impressed me much. Has the size but doubt he plays meaningful defensive snaps at SU.

I meant in terms of size / athletic ability, Hewett reminds me of Jones. Jones was a similar profile, but it hasn't shown up yet on the field. This will be a big year for him -- lots of depth ahead of him.

Huge difference between 5’11 and 6’2
I meant in terms of size / athletic ability, Hewett reminds me of Jones. Jones was a similar profile, but it hasn't shown up yet on the field. This will be a big year for him -- lots of depth ahead of him.[/QUOTE

Huge difference between 5’11 and 6’2

Do I really need to explain this? Jones was a track guy who was fast, but projected as a bit of a developmental project. Hewett is a track guy who is fast and similarly projects as a bit of a developmental prospect.

Presumably, like Jones, Hewett is being brought in because you can't teach speed and the athletic tools are there for the coaching staff to potentially mold.

5-11 is plenty big for a defensive back -- especially a safety.

Last edited:
I can see why this offer was made. Our secondary is currently stacked with 3 Freshman who should hold down the top of the depth chart for the next 3-4 years. Hewitt is without a doubt a reach, but he isn’t going to be counted on to produce early in his careeEr. He will have at least 2 years to get the scheme down and work in the S&C program. This is your definition of high risk, high reward type of recruit. With his measurables and the time he will be allotted to develop he could develop into a contributor that has prototypical attributes we look for in our secondary. If he doesn’t pan out then he sees the writing on the wall and transfers out if he wants to play .

The offer was made because the kid has decent size, was the fastest athlete at his Cuse Camp, is from Texas and is fast. Did I mention how fast he is?

This was not a reach. This is a kid with skills you cant teach from a state with arguably the highest level of HS competition.

We need as much speed as we can possibly put on the field.
Especially in the LBs and DBs.

If this kid has great speed I am confident in the coaching staff developing his talent.
Our secondary play has been atrocious and calling it atrocious is being kind since we lost Sharmako it’s been brutal. Hopefully Cordy can stay healthy as he can play.

A team always needs safties and linebackers for special teams. Hewett has good speed and a solid build to contribute on specials early. Not every recruit is going to be a four year starter. The underbelly of a team is usually overlooked but very important.

The offer was made because the kid has decent size, was the fastest athlete at his Cuse Camp, is from Texas and is fast. Did I mention how fast he is?

This was not a reach. This is a kid with skills you cant teach from a state with arguably the highest level of HS competition.

Kid starts on a team the top division of Texas football on a perennial state title contender and one of the top teams in the Houston area. If this kid was in NY, we would be begging for SU to grab him. He is hardly a reach.

Kid starts on a team the top division of Texas football on a perennial state title contender and one of the top teams in the Houston area. If this kid was in NY, we would be begging for SU to grab him. He is hardly a reach.

I think ‘reach’ has been used because we’re his only P5 offer for a kid on that team. The measurables and playing for the team you describe doesn’t add up to no P5 offers. Hopefully we just got out in front of it but maybe there’s some grade issues?

I personally love this offer/commitment.

As people have mentioned before, the fact that he plays on a top team and doesn't have an offer from one of the 21 Division 1 programs in the state raises an eye brow. These schools aren't exactly Ivy league level when it comes to academics either.

As people have mentioned before, the fact that he plays on a top team and doesn't have an offer from one of the 21 Division 1 programs in the state raises an eye brow. These schools aren't exactly Ivy league level when it comes to academics either.
I think you would be surprised at the academic level of some of those Texas schools.

A team always needs safties and linebackers for special teams. Hewett has good speed and a solid build to contribute on specials early. Not every recruit is going to be a four year starter. The underbelly of a team is usually overlooked but very important.

This is kind of what I was thinking. If kids buy in, special teams can win games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom