Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

UTA and Baylor are both good academic schools, im fairly certain.

Do I really need to explain this? Jones was a track guy who was fast, but projected as a bit of a developmental project. Hewett is a track guy who is fast and similarly projects as a bit of a developmental prospect.

Presumably, like Jones, Hewett is being brought in because you can't teach speed and the athletic tools are there for the coaching staff to potentially mold.

5-11 is plenty big for a defensive back -- especially a safety.
You don’t need to explain anything but you might want to learn the difference between saying two people are the same size then go into a tangent about track and athletic ability. 5’11 is fine but there’s a huge difference between 5’11 and 6’2. If you don’t think there is you probably haven’t done anything athletic in a long time. Easy fix though, go play basketball with someone 3 inches taller than you and see if that changes your mind.

You don’t need to explain anything but you might want to learn the difference between saying two people are the same size then go into a tangent about track and athletic ability. 5’11 is fine but there’s a huge difference between 5’11 and 6’2. If you don’t think there is you probably haven’t done anything athletic in a long time. Easy fix though, go play basketball with someone 3 inches taller than you and see if that changes your mind.

#1, Carl Jones isn't 6-2. So let's dispense with that fallacy right off the bat. There isn't a 3 inch difference in height no matter what you'd like to pretend.

#2, here is a profile for Dorian Hewett from HUDL. Dorian Hewett on Hudl

Guess what they list his height at? 6-1, same as Jones. Another site lists him at 5-11. Maybe he's somewhere in between -- who knows. Either way, he's either the same height or only slightly shorter than Jones -- which is why I made the profile comparison. It certainly doesn't warrant the pedantic hair splitting you're persisting with.

#3, Speaking of tangents, the final two sentences of your post are asinine. I participate in competitive basketball leagues [the one I played in last year had a guy on my team who was 6-10 and a former top 100 recruit who started games at a B1G school, two other guys who were over 6-5, and three players who played collegiate ball]. No offense, but the end of your post was like reading a hot take from some guy who played HORSE in the driveway once, but thanks for the misguided lecture.

Last edited:
What your home state thinks means nothing.
Eric Dungey wasn’t offered by either Oregon or Oregon State.
Both would take him in a heartbeat now.
I trust Dino knows what he wants.

Agree and add to that Coach Martin knowing the pulse of the HS players in the area, yep SU will do just fine with this young man.

So, North Shore's opponent this coming Friday is Katy HS. I've mentioned before, Katy is my kid's HS. They are usually a run-heavy team (even when Andy Dalton played for them), however they had a scrimmage Friday and were pass-heavy, despite having a Top 5 national RB. They have a very good Sophomore QB. So, it will be very interesting if they attack North Shore's secondary.

So, North Shore's opponent this coming Friday is Katy HS. I've mentioned before, Katy is my kid's HS. They are usually a run-heavy team (even when Andy Dalton played for them), however they had a scrimmage Friday and were pass-heavy, despite having a Top 5 national RB. They have a very good Sophomore QB. So, it will be very interesting if they attack North Shore's secondary.
So where is that report on Hewett. ;)

Ok, so as promised, I went to the North Shore/Katy game last night and kept my eye on Dorian as best I could. Now, this won't be an SWC or Finwad write-up, but I will do my best.

Just to set the table, this was a game between the #1 Texas 6A/#14 National team Katy against #2 6A/#44 National Team North Shore. Katy is a perennial state contender and has won 3 "National Titles" in the last 10 years, so Katy is no slouch. They are, however, a very young team this year, but with one of the top running backs in the nation. I also left with about 10 minutes to go because North Shore had the game in hand at 28-14 (Katy was punting again) and I wanted to watch the SU game. NS ended up winning 35-21.

Size/Speed - First, he's no more than the 5'11" 180lbs that is listed on 2 4 7. He was probably the shortest starter on D, but mind you, North Shore is HUUUUGGGGEEEE. He runs well, but was not the fastest kid on the field either.

Run Coverage - North Shore plays a 4-3 defense. Katy is a run-first team. They still use I-formations and snap under center. So, there were a lot of plays between the tackles. Because NS controlled the line of scrimmage, Dorian was not in many run plays. However, he really wasn't in any tackles when the RB got to the second level. Also, there was one bootleg in the early game where Katy's QB cut back into the middle, ran past Dorian, as Dorian recognized the run late and was out of position. Dorian caught him at the endzone, but only after a 60-yard run by the QB.

Other than that, Dorian was in just a couple other outside run plays, but usually as someone else was bringing the runner down. That's it. It's obvious they do not use him to help run support.

Pass Coverage - His coverage was tight, but not tight enough for any pass breakups. He and the other safety got split once for a long pass by Katy. It was a great catch, but Dorian was a step behind and missed a potential break-up. His receivers also had a couple crossing patterns that were caught, but he made the solo tackle quickly after the catch. Other than those 3-4 pass plays he wasn't in any other pass coverage plays that I recall.

Overall - Dorian wasn't much of a factor, but not because of anything he did, but because of the style of offense Katy ran and North Shore's ability to control the line of scrimmage when on D. I'm not good at giving comparisons so I won't try, but he's not an aggressive hitter or run stopper (ie, he's not flying up to the line when it's an obvious run), but he was capable on one-on-one coverage and solid with open field tackling of his receiver.

Ugh. Would prefer a sterling write up featuring an int or pass break up or indications of him being a motivated swarmer. He's not the fastest on the field? - that's supposed to be his saving grace. Can he be coached-up? Maybe. But this fan would prefer someone more advanced already resident with ingrained football savvy. I'd also like a million dollars and the body of Channing Tatum. Oh well. We'll see.

Ugh. Would prefer a sterling write up featuring an int or pass break up or indications of him being a motivated swarmer. He's not the fastest on the field? - that's supposed to be his saving grace. Can he be coached-up? Maybe. But this fan would prefer someone more advanced already resident with ingrained football savvy. I'd also like a million dollars and the body of Channing Tatum. Oh well. We'll see.

While he was with his receivers, he was usually a step behind. Again, no break-ups, but close enough to make the tackle when the receiver caught it. There were a couple passes that were overthrown, but again Dorian would not have broken it up, but would have probably made the tackle. I was also surprised that the Sophomore QB was able to maintain his space until close to the endzone on the long run. Now, it could be that Katy's QB is that fast, but it was actually the other safety that caught him first, then Dorian right after.

"In the meantime, the North Shore defense got after Ridge Point (1-1).
The Panthers couldn’t move the ball, being forced to punt five times in the first half and missed a 44-yard field goal at the end of the first half. Ridge Point had a total of 63 yards after the first two quarters. In the end, Ridge Point was held to just 75 yards of total offense.
"Really good, that's one of the things that we take a lot of pride in is not just that starting unit but all 64 kids on the varsity roster and their ability to play when their time comes," Kay said about the defense. "I think the kids took a lot of pride in that tonight and I was just proud of those two's and three's that got in there and the one's at the beginning."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom