Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

10.73 100m dash, played against Martin in Texas, came up to camp and solidified his offer and oh by the way reportedly has a Jimbo A&M offer, sign me up. Love me them Texas kids.

Don’t get hung up on the size/safety position with that kind of speed.
We were all drooling over the speed of Arizona prep RB Jordan. His 100m PR was 10.62.

This kid would have finished 1st or 2nd on the 100m in NYS the last 3 years. Doesn’t look like he is a track guy either; he got that time on raw talent alone.

We were all drooling over the speed of Arizona prep RB Jordan. His 100m PR was 10.62.

This kid would have finished 1st or 2nd on the 100m in NYS the last 3 years. Doesn’t look like he is a track guy either; he got that time on raw talent alone.

I think he does run track.

10.73 100m dash, played against Martin in Texas, came up to camp and solidified his offer and oh by the way reportedly has a Jimbo A&M offer, sign me up. Love me them Texas kids.

No, that wasnt an a&m offer. It was a d2 school. No other d1 offers.

Yup... closing speed!

No, that wasnt an a&m offer. It was a d2 school. No other d1 offers.

No matter. I’ll have to fact check but kid played in Martin’s league from what I understand so Martin has first hand knowledge. Got the kid up to camp in front of the staff, proven speed, solid offer. Secondary player. No brainer and will help to continue to mine the state.

Last edited:
G_20180728_2251561.gif

No matter. I’ll have to fact check but kid played in Martin’s league from what I understand so Martin has first hand knowledge. Got the kid up to camp in front of the staff, proven speed, solid offer. Secondary player. No brainer and will help to continue to mine the state.
And trusting the coaches to make the call on any of the recruits they get to see up close is the determining factor for me. If they like 'em, I like 'em. We've seen enough times late in the game a number of "big-name" programs try to pick off the guys our staffs have identified and pulled into the fold.

I suppose if you're going to take reach, grab someone would good measurables. His offer list and ranking status are underwhelming.

I've been through enough coaches during my time following the program that 'Trust the coaches' doesn't resonate with me. I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that, until/unless we start winning, we're not going to be bringing in quality classes. This class, in particular, seems to have quite a few reaches.

I've been through enough coaches during my time following the program that 'Trust the coaches' doesn't resonate with me. I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that, until/unless we start winning, we're not going to be bringing in quality classes. This class, in particular, seems to have quite a few reaches.
Why? Because kids haven't gone to camps and been given stars by "recruiting services". I'd rather trust the evaluation ability of the coaches seeing kids perform in person. Steven Clark and Jarveon Howard certainly didn't have stars by their names or many offers before receiving an offer from SU.

Man the misery train is out in full force on this thread.
Clearly the staff knows what they are looking for and has a way better eye for talent then anyone on that has rained on this kids commitment parade.
For know just need to believe that the kids we are bringing will do well in the ACC.

It's a good thing we're going to a bowl this year, then.

Man the misery train is out in full force on this thread.
Clearly the staff knows what they are looking for and has a way better eye for talent then anyone on that has rained on this kids commitment parade.
For know just need to believe that the kids we are bringing will do well in the ACC.

Oh jeez, don't be a baby. Improvement doesn't occur in a vacuum. We are competing in conference with teams that stack 4 and 5 star recruits. Some people get all geeked-up over 2 star kids with no offers because they run fast. I don't.

Hewett should be plenty proud of his accomplishment and I cant imagine what anyone here posts effects him one bit. He's Orange now and I am rooting (sp) for him to succeed.

It'd be nice if someone could put together a list of "Camp commits" since Marrone. I don't recall any of them being stellar players for us, but I could just be missing someone.

Oh jeez, don't be a baby. Improvement doesn't occur in a vacuum. We are competing in conference with teams that stack 4 and 5 star recruits. Some people get all geeked-up over 2 star kids with no offers because they run fast. I don't.

Hewett should be plenty proud of his accomplishment and I cant imagine what anyone here posts effects him one bit. He's Orange now and I am rooting (sp) for him to succeed.

It'd be nice if someone could put together a list of "Camp commits" since Marrone. I don't recall any of them being stellar players for us, but I could just be missing someone.
Hewett wasn't just evaluated on just one camp. Coach Martins' team played against his. He got to evaluate him on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start getting more offers now that he has committed to SU.

Why? Because kids haven't gone to camps and been given stars by "recruiting services". I'd rather trust the evaluation ability of the coaches seeing kids perform in person. Steven Clark and Jarveon Howard certainly didn't have stars by their names or many offers before receiving an offer from SU.

No. It's because I've been reading/posting on this site through several coaching regimes, and the 'trust the coaches' meme has surfaced during every one of them. (BTW, that meme is not unique to our school.) Until there came a time when we realized that we couldn't 'trust the coaches', at least not blindly. I also wonder why someone with his speed would already be relegated to the safety position.

I'm not obsessed about rating services or stars. But, for example, here you have an undersized safety with no other major offers out of Texas. It's not as if he's been overlooked by all the schools down there.

I hope he succeeds, but I don't 'trust the coaches' any more than I 'trust the politicians'. I prefer to form my own hopefully informed opinions.

I guess we'll see in two years if he's "undersized".

Max preps has him listed at 6-1 185. Watching his spring film he looks like he has good size compared to kids around him. Plays mostly FS or Nickle covering the slot. Will be interesting to see if he can play corner.

North Shore is in Houston, Galena Park district. Big big football school who play the likes of Katy, Manvel, and Westfield. They were 9-4 last year.

MaxPreps - America's Source For High School Sports...

North Shore won the 2003 class 5A/Division 1 state championship in football, 2015 Class 6A/Division 1 state championship in football.

Has produced a handful of NFL players. Wiki says 6 and a couple of NBA guys.

I found a bunch more 100m times and he’s a solid sub-11 kid.

No. It's because I've been reading/posting on this site through several coaching regimes, and the 'trust the coaches' meme has surfaced during every one of them. (BTW, that meme is not unique to our school.) Until there came a time when we realized that we couldn't 'trust the coaches', at least not blindly. I also wonder why someone with his speed would already be relegated to the safety position.

I'm not obsessed about rating services or stars. But, for example, here you have an undersized safety with no other major offers out of Texas. It's not as if he's been overlooked by all the schools down there.

I hope he succeeds, but I don't 'trust the coaches' any more than I 'trust the politicians'. I prefer to form my own hopefully informed opinions.
Once upon a time there was a contingency of fans in Syracuse that complained and whined and shouted that a coach should be fired. Thankfully the powers that be at SU knew better than the fans. So I will defer to the coaches when it comes to evaluating talent because I know for darn sure they know more than I do.

And before I start judging Hewett I think I will wait and see how his season plays out. Wait and see if other schools don't start coming after him.

Just off the top of my head Tyrell Richards and Patrick Davis were both camp offers.

Just off the top of my head Tyrell Richards and Patrick Davis were both camp offers.

And honestly, neither of these kids has played a meaningful snap on offense or defense for SU football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom