Class of 2016 - S James Pierre (Fl) Did not qualify / to FAU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S James Pierre (Fl) Did not qualify / to FAU

I don't know if UNC is different for athletes, but it's VERY hard to get into places like UNC, UVA, and UT-Austin as an out of state student. The elite places hold something like 80% of class places for in-state residents.

I think theres an exception for d1 athletes that comes into play. I think su has more leeway however as a private institution.

And Deerfield, his HS, was where the staff was making all those 2017 & 2018 offers this week

I don't know if UNC is different for athletes, but it's VERY hard to get into places like UNC, UVA, and UT-Austin as an out of state student. The elite places hold something like 80% of class places for in-state residents.
Not quite the same standards for athletes - assume he simply could not get into UNC regardless of where he lived. And at many of these schools it is easier to get in as an out-a-state student because of money. UVA and VTech freshmen classes are 33% out of state kids because they pay tuition out the ass. UVA's out of state tuition is only behind Michigan when it comes to out of state tuition. Highly qualified Virginia residents are the ones getting pinched.

Not quite the same standards for athletes - assume he simply could not get into UNC regardless of where he lived. And at many of these schools it is easier to get in as an out-a-state student because of money. UVA and VTech freshmen classes are 33% out of state kids because they pay tuition out the ass. UVA's out of state tuition is only behind Michigan when it comes to out of state tuition. Highly qualified Virginia residents are the ones getting pinched.
Yes, they get pinched, but it is those out of state students and their much higher tuition that enables the other 67% of in state kids to pay a fraction of the cost.

This might be a situation where the HS coach reached out to his new contacts at SU, after UNC screwed the player over.

Might not be a bad "in" for us to swoop to the rescue with this coach / HS.
and on top of that, get a player who would be one of the highest rated in our whole class. It simply can't work out that well for us, can it?? :)

This is increasingly not the case anymore. If anything, it's become easier for out-of-state students to get in because they pay out-of-state tuition. There's a big scandal right now at UC-Berkeley about how they lowered their standards for out-of-state kids. The state schools, even the elite ones, are in serious financial trouble with state legislatures reducing the amount they give to these campuses every year. UVA, I think, gets less than 5% of their yearly budget from the state now.

This is increasingly not the case anymore. If anything, it's become easier for out-of-state students to get in because they pay out-of-state tuition. There's a big scandal right now at UC-Berkeley about how they lowered their standards for out-of-state kids. The state schools, even the elite ones, are in serious financial trouble with state legislatures reducing the amount they give to these campuses every year. UVA, I think, gets less than 5% of their yearly budget from the state now.
Getting into UNC as an out of state student used to be crazy. I knew someone who was an A student, 1400's on the SAT, 3 sport athlete, plus was in student government, who didn't get into UNC. Now he's an MD.

We've had a couple of kids that couldn't make Stanford admissions recently. Not sure UNC is the same class though.

Whitey23 said:
"Their thing is if a kid misses more than 15 days of school, he isn't projected to do well in college," Glenn said. What?

What's weird is that used to be a prerequisite for UNC students.

"Their thing is if a kid misses more than 15 days of school, he isn't projected to do well in college," Glenn said.

What?

And it was Freshman and Sophomore year in school. That's just a convenient excuse. Issue is they had 26 recruits this year. No one fell off or grey-shirted, so they had to cut someone. Their loss is hopefully our gain.

Kinda stinks to think about what that means if true... UNC gets out of a commitment with a player who would be the highest rated recruit for us. Oh my, we aren't talking about a super power, this is UNC. Oh well, we are where we are. The good news is that things will only get better and we have coaches who appear to know what they are doing.

Kinda stinks to think about what that means if true... UNC gets out of a commitment with a player who would be the highest rated recruit for us. Oh my, we aren't talking about a super power, this is UNC. Oh well, we are where we are. The good news is that things will only get better and we have coaches who appear to know what they are doing.

Kinda late response but all Babers needs is solid 3 star recruits top to bottom of the class just like what his former Coach Briles did at Baylor - but like JB, he recruits for a specific type of player that now meets both his style of offense & defense - they look for kids that have lots of stamina to go fast. Higher rated players may not meet these requirements and won't be recruited as hard. Obviously all previous coaches wanted this but Grob, DM & SS were not able to do this on a consistent basis because they didn't have a strong "offensive & defensive identity" coming in. Only DM got there eventually of the 3 but we all know what happened.

Babers also has a 6 year long term contract as SUAD locked him up for the long term to really rebuild this program just like what he was part of at Baylor. According to those in the know, I've been told explicitly that Babers is truly tired of moving around and loves SUs history & tradition (talking the job over with Jim Brown & Floyd Little prior to taking the job left him speechless) and he gets along with the current administration quite well.

We need kids like this to commit regardless of the circumstances. Let's hope we get our second commit (or more) this week!

Kinda late response but all Babers needs is solid 3 star recruits top to bottom of the class just like what his former Coach Briles did at Baylor - but like JB, he recruits for a specific type of player that now meets both his style of offense & defense - they look for kids that have lots of stamina to go fast. Higher rated players may not meet these requirements and won't be recruited as hard. Obviously all previous coaches wanted this but Grob, DM & SS were not able to do this on a consistent basis because they didn't have a strong "offensive & defensive identity" coming in. Only DM got there eventually of the 3 but we all know what happened.

Babers also has a 6 year long term contract as SUAD locked him up for the long term to really rebuild this program just like what he was part of at Baylor. According to those in the know, I've been told explicitly that Babers is truly tired of moving around and loves SUs history & tradition (talking the job over with Jim Brown & Floyd Little prior to taking the job left him speechless) and he gets along with the current administration quite well.

We need kids like this to commit regardless of the circumstances. Let's hope we get our second commit (or more) this week!

Three star kids that show up and stay are better than four star kids that never arrive or can't stay eligible.

Given our situation at Safety, this kid looks like an early Christmas present.
merry-rakeem-2png-6d51f201f87dcdd4.png

Hopefully!

He could easily work his way onto the two-deep by the end of the year. Not ready to give up on the younger guys in that group, but with the way the defense will be set up, I'm not sure how 5-8 & 5-10 safeties will play.