Class of 2016 - S James Pierre (Fl) Did not qualify / to FAU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S James Pierre (Fl) Did not qualify / to FAU

Maybe North Carolina understood something about Pierre's academic qualifications that Syracuse just didn't?
Or he was a backup plan for them and they decided not to waste time going through the NCAA clearinghouse.

maybe our admission standards aren't as high as some think they are ie: Thompson brothers. ;)

I dont necessarily think its this. Let's face it, schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, Notre Dame, USC, etc. couldn't field a team if the athletes were held to the same admissions standards as regularly matriculated students. My understanding is that schools like those (and all other schools for that matter) have a minimum "standard" for admissions of athletes. Then, in special cases, with the coach's urging, they stretch the standard from time to time. Babers was probably asking for the stretch, admissions agreed, but Pierre simply didnt meet the pre-reqs.

I have no idea who the Thompson brothers are, but I would've been shocked had the result of this turned out any differently. So, for those people getting on the previous coaching staff for some of the better recruits not making it to campus, let's just note that this is the second recruit from the current staff. It sucks even more since it's such a position of need and injuries have already hit the DBs and we're not even to Week 1 yet. Hopefully both Pierre and Blair can be brought into the fold for the 2017 class.

I have no idea who the Thompson brothers are, but I would've been shocked had the result of this turned out any differently. So, for those people getting on the previous coaching staff for some of the better recruits not making it to campus, let's just note that this is the second recruit from the current staff. It sucks even more since it's such a position of need and injuries have already hit the DBs and we're not even to Week 1 yet. Hopefully both Pierre and Blair can be brought into the fold for the 2017 class.
But the better recruits made it to campus in this class. Shaw was a nice get but didn't really have that many offers. Pierre was a risk worth taking when you have an open scholarship, it just didn't work out.

It's not like KJ Williams or Alin Edouard who were actually the jewels of the class.

Who didn't see that coming?
upload_2016-8-29_13-37-52.jpeg

But the better recruits made it to campus in this class. Shaw was a nice get but didn't really have that many offers. Pierre was a risk worth taking when you have an open scholarship, it just didn't work out.

It's not like KJ Williams or Alin Edouard who were actually the jewels of the class.

I heard a lot of people saying that Pierre would be on the 2 deep this year. It was also pointed out that SU didn't have a RB like Shaw and that he would be in short yardage packages as a freshman. Based on that, I'd say that both were thought of as quite valuable.

Yeah, I like your posts but I think both of these guys really hurt.

I'll hold my tongue on academic casualties until I see Baber's first class with a real recruiting cycle timeline, which is the current class. The 2016 class - you're going to have to roll the dice some when you're scrambling to put together a class during the final months.

And I think Shaw, Pierre and Moore all hurt - moreso with the latter two because of our depth issues on the DB 2 deep.

Yeah. Agreed. Can't hold these risks against a new staff. They may still takes risks this year too. By year three they should have a better selection.

I heard a lot of people saying that Pierre would be on the 2 deep this year. It was also pointed out that SU didn't have a RB like Shaw and that he would be in short yardage packages as a freshman. Based on that, I'd say that both were thought of as quite valuable.
Pierre was taken as a UNC non-qual long after signing day. That's a calculated risk that you hope pays off, not a crown jewel of the recruiting class.

A power RB/FB that probably wasn't going to get many carries this season also isn't super valuable. Fredericks is that player.

Pierre was taken as a UNC non-qual long after signing day. That's a calculated risk that you hope pays off, not a crown jewel of the recruiting class.

A power RB/FB that probably wasn't going to get many carries this season also isn't super valuable. Fredericks is that player.

Pierre was a risk, as every recruiting class has, but he was also the best, or at least one of the best DB recruits coming in.

Shaw was valuable, but I wouldn't say super valuable as you mentioned. The intention was that he was going to play. Spin it however you want, but missing out on these players hurts the team in some form or fashion. Not to mention the other transfer who didn't make it.

Once again, I'm not saying that Babers will or will not lose players in coming years. That remains to be seen with future classes. My point is that Shafer isn't the only coach who it happens to.

Pierre was a risk, as every recruiting class has, but he was also the best, or at least one of the best DB recruits coming in.

Shaw was valuable, but I wouldn't say super valuable as you mentioned. The intention was that he was going to play. Spin it however you want, but missing out on these players hurts the team in some form or fashion. Not to mention the other transfer who didn't make it.

Once again, I'm not saying that Babers will or will not lose players in coming years. That remains to be seen with future classes. My point is that Shafer isn't the only coach who it happens to.

Pierre was the best DB coming in.

And I don't think Jones as a True Frosh is on the 2 deep at CB if Moore qualified.

The thing I don't understand, if this is such an area of need, why was Scoop switched to WR? We have a surplus at WR and I'm not sure Scoop will see the field. He had a better chance at DB.

The thing I don't understand, if this is such an area of need, why was Scoop switched to WR? We have a surplus at WR and I'm not sure Scoop will see the field. He had a better chance at DB.

Total speculation here, but with our offense--we will probably use 7-8 WRs every game. So maybe there's a better "chance" for him to see PT as a WR than as a S.

But I agree--we need depth / talent influx in the secondary... badly.

bump...any news on him? Hopefully staff is still recruiting him.

No idea. He's in the directory though.

Yeah that's what we've all been trying to figure out. Can't imagine if he is really there that he'd be there for the hell of it.

D Eskridge like situation? I remember when he was at school (prop 48??), but couldn't play his first year because of the NCAA. Big news if he's spring practice eligible!

I've asked if he is at SU and got no answer and no indication from his twitter that he is on campus.:noidea: