Class of 2018 - S/RB Cooper Lutz (PA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 S/RB Cooper Lutz (PA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

Agree. At the slot, you don't need guys who run 10.5 100m, or are 6'4 and jump like Stevie Thompson. You need guys who are quick, tough, big enough to take hits on passes over the middle and have great hands.

Not to pick on Sean Riley, but he is a sophomore, was listed at 151 pounds as a frosh and is listed at 150 pounds on the current roster. And he is 5'8.

His ceiling isn't very high. I suspect his physical limitations will prevent him from ever being a great slot receiver (though hope I am wrong on that).

No question in my mind that kcsu is right...that broken leg changed his recruitment in a major way. We did a great job staying with him and being loyal when no one else would.

I look at him and see him being a starter in a year and an all conference player for a couple of seasons. Really like his potential.

Babers said around signing day that he wants to get bigger at the slot and if he can't then he wants kids who are 'blurs' quote. He said this I believe while describing Johnson and Johnson.

I dont see the same burst/acceleration on the tape some of you do. That extra gear is not there for me. The RB tape reminded me of Josh Mack's from two years ago.

Having said that, the kids looks natural out there, which i like. He's a smooth athlete.

Let's not forget the last player we had whose brother was a preferred walk on at PSU, turned out pretty good for us - Ryan Nassib.

I dont see the same burst/acceleration on the tape some of you do. That extra gear is not there for me. The RB tape reminded me of Josh Mack's from two years ago.

Having said that, the kids looks natural out there, which i like. He's a smooth athlete.

Let's not forget the last player we had whose brother was a preferred walk on at PSU, turned out pretty good for us - Ryan Nassib.
I see some of the same things you see. I see above average acceleration but not elite. Thats okay though. This kid will be crafty in the slot and have deceptive speed. It will be interesting to see him camp as a WR. Too bad his high school runs a wishbone. Can't see his true skill set.

I see some of the same things you see. I see above average acceleration but not elite. Thats okay though. This kid will be crafty in the slot and have deceptive speed. It will be interesting to see him camp as a WR. Too bad his high school runs a wishbone. Can't see his true skill set.
Do you see him being similar to that kid from Clemson who caught the game winning TD pass in the national championship game? Not elite type speed but always seems to be open...

Forget the Hunter Renfrow comparison.I knew it was someone else Lutz reminded me of
533895.jpg

2009 Wake Forest signee Michael Campanaro, a three-star athlete from River Hill High School in Clarkville, Maryland.
Position: WR
Height: 5'10
Weight: 185
40: 4.37

Senior Stats: 202 caries for 1,900 yards, 15 catches for 460 yards, 38 total touchdowns; 78 tackles, 9 interceptions, 3 punt return touchdowns, 1 passing touchdown

River Hill Coach Brian Van Deusen: "Michael is a real playmaker. We tried to get him the ball any way we could. He has great speed and agility and is a true student of the game. Michael was like another coach on the field. He had around 90 touchdowns for his varsity career and the team went 41-1 for that time. Michael is also a great role model for our young players. He is a very hard worker during the off season and is always trying to get better. Michael is also good in the classroom and is very coachable. He will fit in great with Wake Forest."

His highlight seems to show him always under control on both sides of the ball. Its like he knows he is the better athlete and tries to be in the right spot to use his skill to make a run or a tackle. Sometimes he looks fast but not blazing but then he runs right by guys on the angle so maybe he is just smoother

He is very fast in the 1st 10 yards. Plenty of speed to excel. Kids also smart. Great get.
This kid doesn't look that fast til you see him split these guys up the middle before the defense can turn their heads to catch him. Sneaky fast

This kid can flat out play. I really, really, like his film. Reminds me of a taller Estime.

We are going to need to fight to hang on to him as he only played two or three games last year due to injury.

Great find by the staff.

Berks County is my stomping ground so asked one of my very good friends who is connected to HS for the scoop and got as follows:
1. Great Kid, Great family -not a statement he would throw out lightly
2. Think McCafferey. Kid is smooooth
3. "Yoked up" -not a statement my buddy would use lightly given he is an extremely strong, gym dedicated individual himself.
4. Does it all

After busting my buddies chops about the standard white guy to white guy comparisons that always crack me up he elaborated on the comparo to clarify
-No, not because complexion, because he plays the deuce in the Wing T and legit can do it all
-He's got some wiggle but stronger than he is swift. Again reiterated Cooper is a smooth athlete.

Could be a match up nightmare in the slot for us. Faster than LB's, capable of trucking DB's

Bonus tidbit - Said class of 2019 Brandon George from Berks Catholic is one we should be after as well. Anyone that is connected with the staff might want to pass that along...

Side note from this thread as I'm the parent of a PA track kid who's fairly accomplished already in 10th grade:
100m 11.12 is pretty damn fast for a HS JR. Keep in mind we're comparing his current PR to SR season PR's of former players and he's already faster that Estime who IIRC was 19-20 years old coming out of high school. Quick internet search shows he cut .22 from his Soph PR to Junior PR in the 100m as well.

Welcome aboard Cooper! As always, go Orange!

Last edited:
Forget the Hunter Renfrow comparison.I knew it was someone else Lutz reminded me ofView attachment 95518
2009 Wake Forest signee Michael Campanaro, a three-star athlete from River Hill High School in Clarkville, Maryland.
Position: WR
Height: 5'10
Weight: 185
40: 4.37

Senior Stats: 202 caries for 1,900 yards, 15 catches for 460 yards, 38 total touchdowns; 78 tackles, 9 interceptions, 3 punt return touchdowns, 1 passing touchdown

River Hill Coach Brian Van Deusen: "Michael is a real playmaker. We tried to get him the ball any way we could. He has great speed and agility and is a true student of the game. Michael was like another coach on the field. He had around 90 touchdowns for his varsity career and the team went 41-1 for that time. Michael is also a great role model for our young players. He is a very hard worker during the off season and is always trying to get better. Michael is also good in the classroom and is very coachable. He will fit in great with Wake Forest."
FWIW, Campanaro's 40 time at the NFL combine was 4.46. I doubt he was ever a 4.37 guy. The 40 times that high school players supposedly run deserve a very high level of skepticism, unless the majority of all the players get slower in the span of time between high school and the NFL combine.

I don't write this to disagree with you, by the way. I agree that a smart, tough, shifty receiver on the inside can be very effective without blazing speed. It has been proven time and again.

FWIW, Campanaro's 40 time at the NFL combine was 4.46. I doubt he was ever a 4.37 guy. The 40 times that high school players supposedly run deserve a very high level of skepticism, unless the majority of all the players get slower in the span of time between high school and the NFL combine.

I don't write this to disagree with you, by the way. I agree that a smart, tough, shifty receiver on the inside can be very effective without blazing speed. It has been proven time and again.
Right. No way he ran a 4.3 as a high schooler. I like this comparison because Campanaro was primarily a RB in HS just like Lutz. He became an All ACC WR.

This kid can flat out play. I really, really, like his film. Reminds me of a taller Estime.

We are going to need to fight to hang on to him as he only played two or three games last year due to injury.

Great find by the staff.

He has really good vision and has really good control of his speed/exertion. I think that translates well to the slot and I can see why the staff is really excited about the possibilities with him in that role. One thing I didn't see much of on the film was his hands - be interested to see more of his receiving mechanics.

Worst case scenario - I think he could be a solid return guy.

I don't know how I could forget but it would have been Dunkelberger who was at JUCO but was originally from Shillington.

Very true, just hard to give props to a kid from Governor Mifflin. That's all, haha