Class of 2022 - S/WR Cornell Perry (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 S/WR Cornell Perry (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21)

Cornell to 'Cuse. Likin' it. A lot. He wants to be here. Like G Williams. Could be a real contributor.

I know next to nothing about technique and hip swivel and line-chucking. I just like it when DBs stay close to the receiver. For DBs, screw the QBs eyes. Stay with the g*d-d*mned receiver. That's where the ball has to go.

With the hundreds of DBs in the NE, how'd they get a line on a kid from MI? I'll never understand this recruiting business.

Anyway, 1 down 24 more to go. We might have the highest-rated '22 recruiting class in the ACC right now...and possibly the only rated.

D23BA637-33CD-40AD-8EEA-B9243F6EACA7.jpeg

He ran a 4.4 at a recent Michigan combine and was named one of the MVP's. His film is solid. It doesn't make me jump out of my chair but I can see why the staff accepted an early commitment. I can also see him getting more P5 offers when he attends more camps and showcases.

Worry long term about one of the mich schools coming in late and a flip. Good size and could come on campus around 200 pounds.
You can’t worry about it. If Michigan wants him, they will get him. It is what it is.

Not a great example for reasons that may surprise you!
Cuz Harbaugh was creepin’ on him?
Maybe I don’t want to be surprised (he said squinting between his fingers).

I've always been the guy that defends our recruits against the nay-sayers. I've always held the belief that we're just identifying talent before the others do. We keep getting guys who have non p5 offers and little to no p5 offers. We keep telling ourselves it's because we're getting in on them early, and have an eye for talent. This is every year...and nearly every year, we win 2-5 games. At some point we need to be honest about the why it is that we're winning so little.
Maybe we identified a stud before anyone else did...but most of the time, it turns out to not be the case, and most of the time, we have 2-5 wins to show for it.

I've always been the guy that defends our recruits against the nay-sayers. I've always held the belief that we're just identifying talent before the others do. We keep getting guys who have non p5 offers and little to no p5 offers. We keep telling ourselves it's because we're getting in on them early, and have an eye for talent. This is every year...and nearly every year, we win 2-5 games. At some point we need to be honest about the why it is that we're winning so little.
Maybe we identified a stud before anyone else did...but most of the time, it turns out to not be the case.

Huh?

So, our lousy records the last 2 years, means that we didn't do a great job identifying guys like:
Cisco, Trill, Iffy, Mikel Jones, Garrett Williams, etc?

Also - we've gotten plenty of guys w/ P5 offers.
That trend seems to only have increased in the past few years (non-Covid).

I remember we were battling Akron and directional Michigan schools for recruits not too long ago.

Huh?

So, our lousy records the last 2 years, means that we didn't do a great job identifying guys like:
Cisco, Trill, Iffy, Mikel Jones, Garrett Williams, etc?

Also - we've gotten plenty of guys w/ P5 offers.
That trend seems to only have increased in the past few years (non-Covid).

I remember we were battling Akron and directional Michigan schools for recruits not too long ago.
Naming the few starting level p5 level players we have reeled in, doesn't really point out recruiting success, when it's the bulk of the players that have very little p5 offers. The guys you named are wonderful, but they are the exception. If we're going to start winning more than 4-5 games a year, they can't be the exception.
Like I said, I've always had faith that our staff must be identifying talent before the others. But when recruiting is nearly the same every year, and your W-L record is also nearly the same every year, isn't it fair to start questioning if we're doing enough in recruiting? Isn't it fair to say that maybe one has something to do with the other?

Naming the few starting level p5 level players we have reeled in, doesn't really point out recruiting success, when it's the bulk of the players that have very little p5 offers. The guys you named are wonderful, but they are the exception. If we're going to start winning more than 4-5 games a year, they can't be the exception.
Like I said, I've always had faith that our staff must be identifying talent before the others. But when recruiting is nearly the same every year, and your W-L record is also nearly the same every year, isn't it fair to start questioning if we're doing enough in recruiting? Isn't it fair to say that maybe one has something to do with the other?

Conversely - has Syracuse EVER recruited "better" than this??

I mean, maybe during the peak of Mac and early P years, we got more studs, but basically for the past 2 decades, this is what Syracuse is and who we typically get.

Again - at least we're getting some of these kind of guys w/ P5 offers -
we're not duking it out vs the MAC and similar like we did during Marrone & Shafer tenures.