Class of 2022 - S/WR Cornell Perry (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 S/WR Cornell Perry (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21)

Naming the few starting level p5 level players we have reeled in, doesn't really point out recruiting success, when it's the bulk of the players that have very little p5 offers. The guys you named are wonderful, but they are the exception. If we're going to start winning more than 4-5 games a year, they can't be the exception.
Like I said, I've always had faith that our staff must be identifying talent before the others. But when recruiting is nearly the same every year, and your W-L record is also nearly the same every year, isn't it fair to start questioning if we're doing enough in recruiting? Isn't it fair to say that maybe one has something to do with the other?
This is the Cornell Perry thread. If you want you can start another "we need kids with more stars or P5 offers" thread.

It has to be enticing to young players to have 3 SU players from the secondary all get drafted in one year. And to see 3 freshman starting there last season.

This scheme allows talented young players to get on the field early and there is reason to think that if you work hard, you might get a chance to play pro ball. Maybe even before you graduate.

It is sad to lose Trill, Andre and Iffy when they all had eligibility left, but maybe their legacy to the program is a big step forward in interest in playing in the Syracuse secondary in future seasons.

They could have started something that ends up being big.

It has to be enticing to young players to have 3 SU players from the secondary all get drafted in one year. And to see 3 freshman starting there last season.

This scheme allows talented young players to get on the field early and there is reason to think that if you work hard, you might get a chance to play pro ball. Maybe even before you graduate.

It is sad to lose Trill, Andre and Iffy when they all had eligibility left, but maybe their legacy to the program is a big step forward in interest in playing in the Syracuse secondary in future seasons.

They could have started something that ends up being big.
Now that’s a post.
Not gruntled “fans” take note.

Conversely - has Syracuse EVER recruited "better" than this??

I mean, maybe during the peak of Mac and early P years, we got more studs, but basically for the past 2 decades, this is what Syracuse is and who we typically get.

Again - at least we're getting some of these kind of guys w/ P5 offers -
we're not duking it out vs the MAC and similar like we did during Marrone & Shafer tenures.
No, and that is kind of my point. 2 things have been consistent since the early 2000's. We recruit classes that rank between 40 and 55, and we win 4-5 games. One has something to do with the other.

This is the Cornell Perry thread. If you want you can start another "we need kids with more stars or P5 offers" thread.
Fair enough. For the record I could care less about stars. I value the offers.

Mr. Cornell Perry has a frame to be diesellll... lean right now with good speed and athleticism.

Little beef and technique work and he's got the tools to be dangerous. Really good ball skills, strong at tracking the ball and high pointing when necessary. Closes pretty well.

Good athlete here, like him more on the defensive side for sure.

Mr. Cornell Perry has a frame to be diesellll... lean right now with good speed and athleticism.

Little beef and technique work and he's got the tools to be dangerous. Really good ball skills, strong at tracking the ball and high pointing when necessary. Closes pretty well.

Good athlete here, like him more on the defensive side for sure.
Question for you and money3189.

I have a hard time gauging speed - does he look to have the speed to play safety in the ACC? He certainly has the instincts.

Naming the few starting level p5 level players we have reeled in, doesn't really point out recruiting success, when it's the bulk of the players that have very little p5 offers. The guys you named are wonderful, but they are the exception. If we're going to start winning more than 4-5 games a year, they can't be the exception.
Like I said, I've always had faith that our staff must be identifying talent before the others. But when recruiting is nearly the same every year, and your W-L record is also nearly the same every year, isn't it fair to start questioning if we're doing enough in recruiting? Isn't it fair to say that maybe one has something to do with the other?

He's a defensive recruit. Our record isn't what it is because of our defense. You know, the same defense that is putting 3 of it's 4 starting DB's in the league this year...

And the guys that he named aren't "starting level" - one was an All American as a true Freshman, him and 2 others are getting drafted this year and the other 2 aren't far behind.

Huh?

So, our lousy records the last 2 years, means that we didn't do a great job identifying guys like:
Cisco, Trill, Iffy, Mikel Jones, Garrett Williams, etc?

Also - we've gotten plenty of guys w/ P5 offers.
That trend seems to only have increased in the past few years (non-Covid).

I remember we were battling Akron and directional Michigan schools for recruits not too long ago.

What were this guys other offers? Any P5?

DB recruitments been physicality, speed and attitude. This kid must’ve impressed the staff enough to earn the immediate take. Physicality’s evident in his tape, speed looks on par with prior DB recruits. Attitude must be in line I’m guessing too. Would love to hear some input from his HS coach. Not many here were high on GW either, until they were.

Conversely - has Syracuse EVER recruited "better" than this??

I mean, maybe during the peak of Mac and early P years, we got more studs, but basically for the past 2 decades, this is what Syracuse is and who we typically get.

Again - at least we're getting some of these kind of guys w/ P5 offers -
we're not duking it out vs the MAC and similar like we did during Marrone & Shafer tenures.
This is right. Mac/P was our nadir. Robinson actually got some residual talent before he started to show his um worth. Marrone got hosed a bit by the combo of no money, a very down and depleted BE, a bad AD - and I’m not sure he loved recruiting. Shafer was rough enough and the ACC money/rep was just starting to flow. Babers has done the best since P - but still is behind most of his ACC peers

This is right. Mac/P was our nadir. Robinson actually got some residual talent before he started to show his um worth. Marrone got hosed a bit by the combo of no money, a very down and depleted BE, a bad AD - and I’m not sure he loved recruiting. Shafer was rough enough and the ACC money/rep was just starting to flow. Babers has done the best since P - but still is behind most of his ACC peers
Mac/P was our zenith.

Schwartzwalder was our zenith.

O’Neill was our second best. Not by much.

The Mac and Coach P eras are third.
Are you referring to Buck O'Neill? Holy Schwartzwalder. Never thought I'd ever see someone reach back that far. Bravo.
1613526944852.png

I've always been the guy that defends our recruits against the nay-sayers. I've always held the belief that we're just identifying talent before the others do. We keep getting guys who have non p5 offers and little to no p5 offers. We keep telling ourselves it's because we're getting in on them early, and have an eye for talent. This is every year...and nearly every year, we win 2-5 games. At some point we need to be honest about the why it is that we're winning so little.
Maybe we identified a stud before anyone else did...but most of the time, it turns out to not be the case, and most of the time, we have 2-5 wins to show for it.
I don't post a lot anymore because of stuff like this. It's exhausting having to defend our recruiting. When a kid is offered in January before his senior year, you know that he's a Plan A prospect.

People want the kid with the heavy offer list but those kids aren't committing in February of their Junior year, and the ones that do Syracuse will never land. Meanwhile, we land a kid with good measurables that played last season in a year where in-person evaluation really wasn't possible due to COVID. Of course he's not gonna have a ton of offers.

If we trust our evaluations of kids during this pandemic we can land some steals. He's the first commit in the class, and we need guys like him to get the ball rolling.

Glad to have this guy on board.

I don't post a lot anymore because of stuff like this. It's exhausting having to defend our recruiting. When a kid is offered in January before his senior year, you know that he's a Plan A prospect.

People want the kid with the heavy offer list but those kids aren't committing in February of their Junior year, and the ones that do Syracuse will never land. Meanwhile, we land a kid with good measurables that played last season in a year where in-person evaluation really wasn't possible due to COVID. Of course he's not gonna have a ton of offers.

If we trust our evaluations of kids during this pandemic we can land some steals. He's the first commit in the class, and we need guys like him to get the ball rolling.

Please don't let anyone drive you away from the board.

He had offers from Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Toledo and us, according to that 24-7 site. He's nationally-ranked, he had the Ivies and Northwestern sniffing around.

I can't understand why some people are using his commitment to illustrate anything negative about our recruiting. You WANT people like this in your program. And at your university.

UB’s better than half the p5 anyways :)