Sad state of BC | Syracusefan.com

Sad state of BC

Did you read the whole thing? Takes a shot at UConn too, how no one in New England cares. This article is more about the people of New England caring only about pro sports, not the sad state of BC.

Unbelievable how they have fallen. How much of that is due to the lack of a partner in the NE, I wonder...

Unbelievable how they have fallen. How much of that is due to the lack of a partner in the NE, I wonder...

I think it has to do with the fact that they had an exciting program and then DeFillipo got his panties in a bunch because Jagz had the audacity to interview with the Jets.

I'm very curious to know who their candidates are. Would they give Weiss or even Bob Davie a call?

I'm very curious to know who their candidates are. Would they give Weiss or even Bob Davie a call?

Boston College: Adam Schefter tweeted this afternoon that New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael is a candidate at BC.

Copying us...

As soon as I saw that the author of that piece was Dan Shaughnessy I stopped reading.

He's the worst.

Did you read the whole thing? Takes a shot at UConn too, how no one in New England cares. This article is more about the people of New England caring only about pro sports, not the sad state of BC.

You could talk the entire northeast, save Penn State fans, as far as that goes.

UConn has a pretty big basketball following. And up until last year, football interest was pretty high.

Connecticut is way different than the Boston area. A lot of split interests here, of course, with pro and college fighting for time. But I lived in Boston for five years. They don't care about anything outside of the 495 corridor. Pro sports rule, with pockets of college hockey support and some when BC is good in football. Now that BC is down, no interest.

Very true cuseguy. This is the story of the northeast. This is an entirely different culture than what you find in the South. Don't think this article tells people in Georgia and South Carolina and the panhandle of Florida anything they don't already know. That's the #1 reason IMO that UCONN was passed up in favor of Louisville. I feel bad for Connecticut's President, Susan Herbst, and AD Warde Manuel. They are taking a lot of flack for a decision was way outside their sphere of influence. It was a cultural thing. FSU is from Mars, UCONN is from Venus.

It doesn't help that BC has never been good enough, for long enough, for anyone in Boston to really care.

I grew up there, and believe me, when Doug Flutie was on his way to the Heisman in 1985, people really cared. But within a couple years of his graduation the program was terrible. Coughlin revived it, and Dan Henning (and gambling) ruined it again. O'Brien got them back, but they were never a top 10 team, and that's what it takes to cut through the pro sports clutter in Boston.

And a HUGE factor is that BC is a private school. In a city with a TON of private schools. There are more BU, Northeastern, Harvard, Tufts, Suffolk, MIT, etc. alums in Boston that are indifferent to/hate BC than there are BC grads.

Can't imagine what the BC brass think of this. As well as the incoming coach. It's almost like banging a model... and catching herpes from her.

As soon as I saw that the author of that piece was Dan Shaughnessy I stopped reading.

He's the worst.

Shaughnessy is a complete ... but he's actually right about how little anyone cares for BC. I remember when the hoops team started 19-0 and one of the sports talk radio programs literally said something like "Did you see that BC got to 19-0 last night?" and the other guy goes, "Huh, how bout that?" and I'm pretty sure that was basically the extent of the conversation. It was painful -- I'm not sure if they had any idea who was on that team.

Shaughnessy is a holy cross boy who probably pissed off bill or tom or somebody at Fenway and needs to get back 'in'. He's lousy.

F Flutie F Barros!

Long live Diamond Ferri!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

"It’s only college sports. It doesn’t matter much around here. And that’s a good thing."

Ugh.

Do the Bostonians follow college hockey at all?
In a year where there is no NHL (again)?

College hockey is pretty popular in Boston. BC has been the best team in the country. BU, Northeastern and Harvard are very good. It's easily the top college sport in Boston. BU dropped football many years ago and Northeastern dropped it a few years ago. Boston is a huge college town but without a real passion for college sports, with hockey being the exception.