Same old discussion | Syracusefan.com

Same old discussion

SBU72

All Conference
The Maui tourny showed one thing. Despite perdictions to the contrary, JB is down to about 7.5 (or less) man rotation. DC2 and MBK combine for a little over 29 min at center with half of Xmas time at center. 2 full time ( and I mean full time) forwards and 2 1/2 guards. What happened to these freshmen who were going to make such an impact this season (he said tongue in cheek)? Not counting Ennis, the freshmen didn't even see the floor much less meaningful minutes in Hawaii. I am disappointed as the next guy. I would have liked to see them get a few minutes to test their metal against decent opponents. Does anybody think it is going to be different Tuesday event though the game is in the dome. After that there is only 6 games before conference play. Again does anybody think that the freshmen will get more than a couple minutes a game if at all during conference play? And of the freshmen, who are most likely to get minutes in case of injury? (foul trouble gets covered by the exisitng rotation.)

I have no problem at all. We went three consecutive days playing hard with the contracted rotation against tough competition and played solid. The remaining freshman will just have to be patient and be ready when their names are called.

Any injuries happen I think the other 3 freshman get around equal minutes.

The Maui tourny showed one thing. Despite perdictions to the contrary, JB is down to about 7.5 (or less) man rotation. DC2 and MBK combine for a little over 29 min at center with half of Xmas time at center. 2 full time ( and I mean full time) forwards and 2 1/2 guards. What happened to these freshmen who were going to make such an impact this season (he said tongue in cheek)? Not counting Ennis, the freshmen didn't even see the floor much less meaningful minutes in Hawaii. I am disappointed as the next guy. I would have liked to see them get a few minutes to test their metal against decent opponents. Does anybody think it is going to be different Tuesday event though the game is in the dome. After that there is only 6 games before conference play. Again does anybody think that the freshmen will get more than a couple minutes a game if at all during conference play? And of the freshmen, who are most likely to get minutes in case of injury? (foul trouble gets covered by the exisitng rotation.)
who cares? But to answer your question, if it is a forward it will be roberson and if it is a guard, it will be Patterson.

I have no problem with this. JB plays to win, and we did.

No surprise. Granted I did expect at least Roberson to get a few spot first half minutes. Still as long as we win we shouldn't care, he knows what he is doing. If anything this just gives even more proof (as if we needed anymore) that we should always temper expectations when we bring in these highly rated recruits

Not counting Ennis, the freshmen didn't even see the floor much less meaningful minutes in Hawaii. I am disappointed as the next guy.

I only have two words to say on this topic: ORANGE TROLL!!!!!!

il_570xN.223584658.jpg

No surprise. Granted I did expect at least Roberson to get a few spot first half minutes. Still as long as we win we shouldn't care, he knows what he is doing. If anything this just gives even more proof (as if we needed anymore) that we should always temper expectations when we bring in these highly rated recruits
Ennis is living up to expectations as are many of the top 10 starting frosh between AZ, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and even Indiana. What it shows is that, in general, there is a big difference between the top 10 and the rest.

I was also surprised Roberson and Patterson didn't really get some playing time, but it's hard to dispute the end result. Hopefully they will get some time over the next several games. Certainly hard to predict at this time how injuries and fouls will effect the eight regulars.

This comes up every year. Fans feeling reserves should get more playing time. Everyone has an opinion on this, but most major coaches don't substitute any different from Boeheim. How many bench players from Baylor didn't get in the game? Probably several. If their center hadn't been injured, their starting center who looked pretty good, would have gotten reduced minutes. There is clearly a drop off in ability/experience and coaches don't want to risk a potential run by their opponents.

AlaskaSU said:
Ennis is living up to expectations as are many of the top 10 starting frosh between AZ, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and even Indiana. What it shows is that, in general, there is a big difference between the top 10 and the rest.

I think its a lot more how we chose to use them. I feel pretty solid that if they were forced to play they would produce. Look at how Grant played when he was forced into action last season. You can say the same for MCW and Dion. I have no doubt they could do what kids st other schools have been doing if needed.

The freshman will play in all the upcoming games, even Indiana. JB likes winning tournaments is all.

Who cares? Why do so many Syracuse fans get so hung up on the 9th and 10th man not playing enough?

If someone goes down, then someone else gets elevated into PT and hopefully they respond well, like Grant last year when Southerland was out.

OrangeDW said:
Who cares? Why do so many Syracuse fans get so hung up on the 9th and 10th man not playing enough?

I call it the igor syndrome. Too many people complain about who starts who should get minutes why is so and so not playing. Have people not watched a jb coached team since 1976? 8-9 men rotation tops. Just accept it.

Good lord

I doubt the freshman get into the Indiana game. If people haven't figured out Boeheim by now; he is all about winning in the moment. He has said in the past that practices are where freshmen develop their games and they don't benefit that much from getting token minutes in a big game.

The problem is not the talent of the freshman per se. It's the talent of the guys in front of them. Who are you going to sit amongst cj/grant/rak in favor of Roberson? Seriously?
Exactly. It's the same situation as when MCW was a freshman. Who were you going to sit between Scoop/Triche/Dion? Yes, the duo of CJ/Grant is better than any combination of those three guards, but when there's a logjam that includes a senior and a junior who have both been longtime starters, and a super talented sophomore, how the hell are you going to put anyone in the game for meaningful minutes at those positions?

The only way Roberson will get meaningful minutes is at the expense of DC/BMK and that would mean he's manning the 5 spot, and I just cannot ever envision that happening.

Fortunately for Roberson, he'll be almost guaranteed a starting role next season when CJ is gone and Jerami is also probably gone. At the very worst, he'll be the 6th man, or at least the first forward off the bench (since McCullough will be here, presumably starting at the 4 from day one).

For Pete's sake, it's like Groundhog Day w/ some of these threads. We know what we have in JB & the system he runs. Why the surprise...after 40 yrs, no less? Seriously.

For Pete's sake, it's like Groundhog Day w/ some of these threads. We know what we have in JB & the system he runs. Why the surprise...after 40 yrs, no less? Seriously.

Those of us that haven't been long time die-hards like some of the other members here like hearing and knowing questions and answers like this. I understand it can be like a broken record sometimes but it's invaluable information for new fans.

He is sitting them for a reason. Poor on D? Bad decisions on O? It doesn't matter - coach knows and coach is right. The end.

Those of us that haven't been long time die-hards like some of the other members here like hearing and knowing questions and answers like this. I understand it can be like a broken record sometimes but it's invaluable information for new fans.
LGO - nice cordial response. A lot of people here are pretending they knew what was happening all along, that's a far cry from the truth. What can be said is that it is not a shock that JB is playing close to the vest in what he considers important games, ie tournies. And most expect the same with Indiana (TrueBlue is the lone exception).

What people did not know was who those people would be. Respected posters had thought Roberson might even start - that looks a long way from happening. Many others thought Cooney would be fighting for the third guard role, not many think that now.

Also just because things are a certain way now doesn't mean slow change can't occur within the season. The closer role for BMK may be in question, DC2's role could expand as the offensive option, and I still think Roberson may find a place for some more minutes.

Another fallacy is that JB doesn't change. He, only four years ago, instituted his token start concept. Two years ago, he played his fourth guard (MCW) around 10 minutes a game, 5-6 years ago JB tried to instruct Harris to intentionally miss a FT. Some things do change. However, JB's tightening his rotation in the important games will be there until the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom