Saturday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
11813540-standard.jpg

Syracuse football team's new offense appears to have only a limited role for a true fullback

falling-dollars-1.jpg

The Catholic 7 are studying how to get a piece of SU's & the other's exit fees

Video

Jerome Smith 2012 Highlights

Former Staff

UK hope to land 3 top JUCO D-line men due to Brumbaugh's JC connections

Big East News

ncf_g_chrystp_400.jpg

Pitt's Chryst downplays coaching carousel buzz

Report: Temple offers job to Giants asst. Rhule

Sugar Bowl preview Florida vs Louisville

Big East Conference Facing Many Questions After Recent Exits

Dennis Dodd on Big East, conference realignment

Ped State

woman-holds-up-protest-sign-at-the-penn-state-university.jpg

PSU should be held accountable

Transcript of Franco Harris-Mark Emmert Exchange in Los Angeles

Penn State loses out on vaunted juco quarterback

Around The Nation

Dialhit.jpg

Alabama DE Dial won't face suspension for hit

Quick reminder after watching those Jerome Smith highlights: he's only a Sophomore :eek:

Quick reminder after watching those Jerome Smith highlights: he's only a Sophomore :eek:
Did we redshirt him?

I can't remember.

The SUA site lists him as a junior and the bio is not working.

ESPN only shows stats for 2011 & 2012 so you may be right, hope so.

I remember watching him practice in 2011, he couldn't get more than 2 or 3 yards against our second team defense and forget about catching the ball out of the backfield.

The regimen he underwent in the off season is well documented. He changed his diet and workout habits. It just goes to show that when a person wants to make a change they can change their future at the same time.

He is the most improved offensive player on the team. His O-line improved too and that combination gave us a 1000 yard type runner.

Outstanding season Jerome, good work!!

Click this

Andrew Pregler on December 28, 2011 predicted that Jerome would be SU's next great running back

Here are a few interesting things from TNIAAM from July 2011

How'd He Get Here?:

Smith attended one of SU's one day camps, which led to a scholarship offer, which he quickly accepted. Jerome chose Syracuse over Wisconsin.

What'd Scout/Rivals Say?:

Scout gave Smith a 2-star rating, while Rivals was a bit more generous, and deemed him a 3-star recruit.

Donnie Webb announcing Smith's committment

he is a SO if he applies for it and it gets accepted by the ncaa. he is fine as far as the playing time rules go. He could also decide to graduate next year and move on if is in on course for that.

he is a SO if he applies for it and it gets accepted by the ncaa. he is fine as far as the playing time rules go. He could also decide to graduate next year and move on if is in on course for that.
Did he play at all in 2010?

This Donnie Webb Article dated October 5, 2010

Syracuse University freshman running back Jerome Smith out for season

Says

"Smith was one of 15 freshmen to play for the Orange this season" The question remains how many games did he play in and is he a junior or a sophomore? We played Akron, Washington, Maine and Colgate before that date. How many games did he play in?

Correct. If I remember correctly, his only other offer was from Wisconsin...I think you can see why Wisconsin would have wanted him. His running style would have been very well suited there, and thankfully here, too.

Dave Rahme wrote on Dec 14, 2012

"Jerome Smith (6-foot, 217 pounds). A prototypical power back, Smith replaced 1,000-yard rusher Antwon Bailey and showed no signs early in the season of even coming close to Bailey’s production, rushing 10 times for 34 yards in his first career start. Then, in an effort to take the pressure off quarterback Ryan Nassib, coach Doug Marrone shifted a significant portion of the offensive load onto Smith’s shoulders and he took off. He will enter the bowl game with 1,019 yards, averaging 5.1 yards per carry. His only fumble lost all season occurred in the opener when he failed to cover a backward pass thrown his way by Nassib. His combination of power, production and ball security will make the junior tough to dislodge in 2013."

Nolan calls him a junior in this October 25, 2012 article

Syracuse football tailback Jerome Smith 'eating' well these days ...

I think he's a junior.

Was hurt early in his first year after playing a bit.

Last year was his sophomore year - I'm pretty sure.

Academic Junior. SU always lists the players by their academic standing.

Eligibility wise, he should be a RSoph. He only played in a few games in 2010 before missing the rest of the season due to injury.

Under NCAA rules he would be eligible for a hardship waiver to get 2010 back. He would have eligibility in 2013 and 2014.

8275185460_fa507c2bf2_b.jpg

GIVE THIS YOUNG MAN THE NUMBER HE REALLY WANTS TO WEAR!

My notes how he is a junior who only played 2 games as a freshman before being injured. If he is ineligibly for a medical RS then he would have two years of eligibility left.

Of course, we appear to be loaded at RB so while it would be nice to have him for two more years, we will probably OK if he only has one to play.

While watching the highlight video I couldn't help but notice how good the line play was. More and more I keep thinking that the line play was the primary key to our strong finish and what our record might be if we had Pugh for the whole season.

While watching the highlight video I couldn't help but notice how good the line play was. More and more I keep thinking that the line play was the primary key to our strong finish and what our record might be if we had Pugh for the whole season.
It was a very long time coming. Now that the O-line has arrived it changed everything.

Ryan was able to showcase his skills and make himself a QB, NFL teams are interested in.

Jerome rushed for over 1000 yards, people are nominating him for the #44.

Alec Lemon had a sensational season, right up there with the best ever.

Syracuse finished the season strong dismantling, UConn and previously undefeated Louisville who is Orange Bowl bound.

Good job O-line, kept it going!!

44Pride brings up the controversial number 44 issue.
While I have been very much against against "un-retiring" #44, I am starting to rethink my position. What I do not want to happen is for 44 to fade into oblivion with the passage of time. This is a natural thing to happen in any sport. Sure, it won't happen at SU but what about the rest of the football world?
The case for retiring #44 was properly made by TGD:
“If there was ever a number that needed to be retired it is 44. If you can’t take 44 off the table, then you’re just never going to retire a jersey."
Jim Brown has said:
“I think it probably should be (retired),” said former #44 and SU great Jim Brown. “I think it’s very difficult to try to pick an individual prematurely that’s going to be able to fulfill the shoes of 44.”

It would be nice if there was a middle ground but this is one of those issues where it is or isn't.

The only solution I can think of that might meet everyone's concerns is letting the living 44 players award the number to a senior player that they felt was worthy of the honor. After all, it is their honor and they should be the only ones to award the honor to someone else.

Just a thought.

Great reel. Love the fact that those quick hitters up the middle develop very quickly, no pussyfooting it. BAM and he's at the 2nd level. Also amazed that a big guy like him can get to the corner.