Savannah Ga | Syracusefan.com

Savannah Ga

Shrmdougluvr

Give it all to me fool!
Will my 9 and 6 year old be super bored? Will i be super bored? Thinking about flying down for a long weekend in early August.

Probably but on the brightside...your kids might be able to see a tropical storm up close.

Savannah is a cool place to visit but I’d agree with Capt. Tuttle about staying in Hilton Head and taking a day trip to Savannah.

I prefer Charleston to Savannah.. also historical, but with more going on.

Yeah agree with above. Savannah is great but not Charleston or Hilton head. Definitely day trip territory.

Thursday afternoon/evening - pool, walk, dinner. Friday - sight see, pool. Saturday - beach (Tybee Island). Sunday morning fly home. Can take Allegiant (yuck) direct for like $90 round trip.

Thursday afternoon/evening - pool, walk, dinner. Friday - sight see, pool. Saturday - beach (Tybee Island). Sunday morning fly home. Can take Allegiant (yuck) direct for like $90 round trip.

Man, love Savannah but really don’t care for the quick trip out to Tybee.

Actually Allegiant is very good at what they do. They are great for nonstop flights between secondary markets/airports. The planes (A319/320s) are clean. I haven't had any major issues.

Just did 3 days there with an 11 year old for the 4th. Not much to do there with kids. Wouldn't really recommend it.

What's the problem with Tybee? What's the allure of Hilton Head? Legit asking. Hilton Head will run the cost of this up exponentially, though I could do a night there using a free night certificate from Marriott. Then pay the other two (which will be like $800 min).

We have a "beach trip" to Ocean City (Tuttle's suggestion) planned for the end of August. This is just a quick getaway. I dig the Southern Gothic stuff and kind of see this trip as New Orleans light.

Edit: Actually, the Marriotts on Hilton Head won't accept points that weekend so no certificate redemption available.

Edit 2: Could I day trip to Hilton Head instead of Tybee?

Last edited:
What's the problem with Tybee? What's the allure of Hilton Head? Legit asking. Hilton Head will run the cost of this up exponentially, though I could do a night there using a free night certificate from Marriott. Then pay the other two (which will be like $800 min).

We have a "beach trip" to Ocean City (Tuttle's suggestion) planned for the end of August. This is just a quick getaway. I dig the Southern Gothic stuff and kind of see this trip as New Orleans light.

Edit: Actually, the Marriotts on Hilton Head won't accept points that weekend so no certificate redemption available.

Edit 2: Could I day trip to Hilton Head instead of Tybee?
Best Kid-Friendly Things to Do in Hilton Head, South Carolina | Atlanta Parent Magazine

Yeah we walked around Charleston last July, and I kept thinking to myself "this would be the most perfect place on Earth... if I could breathe."
You get used to it. I was born and raised in NY. First year in Atlanta I was dying from April-Sept.

Now, a few years later, I’m wearing cardigans and hoodies in 70 degree weather. It’s embarassing.

I’m wearing cardigans

I could definitely picture you posting in the OT board while wearing this shirt.

Savannah has a nice vibe, but the riverwalk is uber touristy. Further out into the town near the college is a little more laid back. It seems like a lot of people go there for the liberal open-container law. The spanish moss is pretty.

We went to Tybee and ... well, it's a beach.

So here is the plan at this point (which i've modified based on some suggestions here).

Fly down Thursday and do touristy stuff in Savannah that afternoon/evening. Find a way to get to Hilton Head on Friday and Saturday. Fly home Sunday morning.

That's not a lot of time, but the tickets are $90 round trip, so we can always go back again if we dig it. I know the boys will dig Hilton Head (they'd probably dig Tybee too). Frankly, they'd be cool with Onondaga Lake if there were a few little waves and some sandy area. They just love the ocean.

So here is the plan at this point (which i've modified based on some suggestions here).

Fly down Thursday and do touristy stuff in Savannah that afternoon/evening. Find a way to get to Hilton Head on Friday and Saturday. Fly home Sunday morning.

That's not a lot of time, but the tickets are $90 round trip, so we can always go back again if we dig it. I know the boys will dig Hilton Head (they'd probably dig Tybee too). Frankly, they'd be cool with Onondaga Lake if there were a few little waves and some sandy area. They just love the ocean.
Hope you found a place in HH to stay. It’s prime season there right now

Hope you found a place in HH to stay. It’s prime season there right now

We're booked two nights @ the Marriott. Used a rewards certificate and some points to cover the stay because Marriott was being stingy with redemption options. Going to pack real light and just uber it up there from the airport. The last day, we'll uber it back down to Savannah and spend the afternoon evening. Thinking of staying at the Andaz.

Any food recommendations for Hilton Head or Savannah? Remember, I'll be there with a 9 and 6 year old so a place like The Olde Pink House isnt really an option. In Savannah, I've read about some diner that serves great grill cheese, and The Pirate House. Both seem like decent options.

We're booked two nights @ the Marriott. Used a rewards certificate and some points to cover the stay because Marriott was being stingy with redemption options. Going to pack real light and just uber it up there from the airport. The last day, we'll uber it back down to Savannah and spend the afternoon evening. Thinking of staying at the Andaz.

Any food recommendations for Hilton Head or Savannah? Remember, I'll be there with a 9 and 6 year old so a place like The Olde Pink House isnt really an option. In Savannah, I've read about some diner that serves great grill cheese, and The Pirate House. Both seem like decent options.
A significant UBER bill between Savannah and HH. Might want to consider a rental, which will also make getting around HH a bit easier.

Savannah: love Churchill’s. Right by the river. Great bar, excellent food, and seating off the bar if that isn’t your thing. Nice little joint.

More off the river/off the beaten path I like Crystal Beer Parlor. Another place with good food and a good bar, but also a restaurant setting if you want that atmosphere.

So many good options in Savannah. Just wander out and explore and you will find something great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom