Savannah Ga | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Savannah Ga

We're booked two nights @ the Marriott. Used a rewards certificate and some points to cover the stay because Marriott was being stingy with redemption options. Going to pack real light and just uber it up there from the airport. The last day, we'll uber it back down to Savannah and spend the afternoon evening. Thinking of staying at the Andaz.

Any food recommendations for Hilton Head or Savannah? Remember, I'll be there with a 9 and 6 year old so a place like The Olde Pink House isnt really an option. In Savannah, I've read about some diner that serves great grill cheese, and The Pirate House. Both seem like decent options.
The Frosty Frog
Skull Creek Boathouse
British Open Pub
Hinchey’s
San Miguels

Are a few of my favorites in HH

We're booked two nights @ the Marriott. Used a rewards certificate and some points to cover the stay because Marriott was being stingy with redemption options. Going to pack real light and just uber it up there from the airport. The last day, we'll uber it back down to Savannah and spend the afternoon evening. Thinking of staying at the Andaz.

Any food recommendations for Hilton Head or Savannah? Remember, I'll be there with a 9 and 6 year old so a place like The Olde Pink House isnt really an option. In Savannah, I've read about some diner that serves great grill cheese, and The Pirate House. Both seem like decent options.

A good breakfast/brunch spot in Savannah is the Funky Brunch Café. I was in Savannah for two nights in May and place was so good I went there two mornings in a row. Some tables have griddles which is fun for the kids. They can get batter and design pancakes in any shape they want. Food was delicious. If you’re only there for the evening, might not be an option as it closes early.

Just drank a beer from Revelry Brewing... I feel like the brewing scene in Charleston is blowing up. Always finding good stuff coming out of there.

Oh I didn’t try it but I asked the server what the most popular shape is that people turn their pancakes into. It was a certain part of the male anatomy. I’m sure you are shocked.
Might be a good luck up place

Little bit away from Sav but I just stayed in St Simons island south of Sav and it was amazing. That and Jekyll Island are worth a few days as well

If you enjoy US history Savannah is hard to beat. Take a carriage tour and if you're lucky you'll get a guide that will bring the city to life. 1 of our favorite vacations ever.

If you enjoy US history Savannah is hard to beat. Take a carriage tour and if you're lucky you'll get a guide that will bring the city to life. 1 of our favorite vacations ever.

^This

A ghost tour is pretty fun, too.

The Green Truck Pub in Savannah was very good (casual).

Someone else mentioned Frosty Frog's in HHI. If you're looking to get blacked out drunk, absolutely. And if not, it's fine as well.

I've never had great food in Hilton Head, that's pretty much the only (minor) drawback to the place. But there's a little New Orleans-themed joint about a block in from Coligny Circle, French Quarter something, that's OK and a little different from the tourist stuff.

Someone else mentioned Frosty Frog's in HHI. If you're looking to get blacked out drunk, absolutely.

"If you're looking to get black out drunk and murdered in Savannah, I recommend Frosty Frogs!"

Change the Savannah trip to March 16-18, get a babysitter/family member to stay home with the kids.

You’ll thank me.

I went on St Patty’s Day pre-kids. So much fun there. Not an open container law to be found. Mom and Pop ice cream shops roll kegs in and sell you a draft for $3. Giant parade on the 17th. They do it up like few others.

Wife and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in October. Trying to see if a trip in the time of COVID will be enjoyable. Anyone have intel on how Savannah or Charleston are doing? Restaurants, etc...

Wife and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in October. Trying to see if a trip in the time of COVID will be enjoyable. Anyone have intel on how Savannah or Charleston are doing? Restaurants, etc...
Will quarantine be an issue? Is Vermont like NYS? I assume you are flying out of Burlington and not Plattsburgh

Will quarantine be an issue? Is Vermont like NYS? I assume you are flying out of Burlington and not Plattsburgh
You mean coming back? I'm assuming we will have to quarantine for 14 days per the rules of that state, but I recently took a biz trip to Missouri and came back and sort of quarantined. And no one seemed to care that I left the state.

I might have to miss one of my kid's outdoor volleyball games, but in November? I'm probably okay with missing that.

Re: Charleston. Everything is pretty open, even nightlife. You have to wear a mask into most social places, but once inside, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Also, the weather will still be pretty warm in October so you can eat outside, walk around, hit the beach etc..

I don’t know about Savannah, but Brian Kemp is usually not one to be less conservative than McMaster in South Carolina, so I imagine Savannah is much of the same.

Re: Charleston. Everything is pretty open, even nightlife. You have to wear a mask into most social places, but once inside, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Also, the weather will still be pretty warm in October so you can eat outside, walk around, hit the beach etc..

I don’t know about Savannah, but Brian Kemp is usually not one to be less conservative than McMaster in South Carolina, so I imagine Savannah is much of the same.
Any ideas about the 'cultural' attractions in either place? My wife is a big museum fan, and I would hate to go down and not have them open. :rolleyes:

Any ideas about the 'cultural' attractions in either place? My wife is a big museum fan, and I would hate to go down and not have them open. :rolleyes:
You might want to call, just to make sure, but the museums and historic attractions in Savannah opened back up in July, I think...

I’m pretty sure some people I know have gone on a Charleston ghost tour recently (if that’s anything y’all are interested in) ... both cities have a ton of “haunted historic” tours.

Here’s the link for the major museums in Charleston.. COVID update in the link

Just drank a beer from Revelry Brewing... I feel like the brewing scene in Charleston is blowing up. Always finding good stuff coming out of there.

going to Isle of Palms last week of June. That is one of the places along with Edmund Oast on the agenda to hit on our day in Charleston. Rodney Scotts for some whole hog and ribs.

The Frosty Frog
Skull Creek Boathouse
British Open Pub
Hinchey’s
San Miguels

Are a few of my favorites in HH
Let me add some new ones:
Ombra, fantastic Italian food
Alfreds, excellent German dishes
Brother Shuckers, 1$ Oysters at happy hour. And not the cheapo ones
Reillys, Irish Pub fish and chips
Annie O’s. Southern sty food

cant go wrong with any of these.

I got an alert on this thread without realizing i'm the one who started it. :rolleyes: Never did a trip report like usual.

My recollections:
  • Flew allegiant. It was like flying down on an MTA train. Suited us fine.
  • I believe we went for a long weekend in early August - something like Thursday afternoon/Friday in Hilton Head, and Saturday in Savannah. Flew home Sunday morning.
  • Don't remember how we got back and forth from the airport to Hilton Head, then Hilton Head down to Savannah. Think we used a car service (not a ride share).
  • Did use lots of ride shares in Hilton Head.
  • We had a nice time in Hilton Head but it was not really our cup of team.
    • Didnt like how everything was separate/spaced out.
    • Had good dinners at Poseiden at Shelter Cove (umm Triple Tail) and Hudson's Seafood.
    • Visted Coligny and apparently got bombed on something icy and strong at Frosty Frog, all while very vocally professing my love to Mrs Shrmdougluvr (much to her chagrin and my kids' delight).
    • Stayed at the Marriott, which was fine. Kids liked the pool. Ocean was suprisingly warm. Beach was hard.
    • Visited the Coastal Discovery Museum. Enjoyed the walk. Kids petted various animals. Gave the Gullah gentleman making straw baskets a relatively large donation because F the Confederacy! (also I know this is virtue signaling)
  • Really enjoyed our brief time in Savannah.
    • Stayed at the Fairfield Inn i think. It was, you know, a Fairfield Inn.
    • Ate at the Little Duck Diner (amazing grill cheese); ice cream at Leopold's; and dinner at Crystal Beer Parlor (really enjoyed).
    • Did a trolly tour. Our guide was great. "Have a nice life. Follow your dreams."
    • Walked all over and got very hot and sweaty.
    • Riverwalk was meh but worth seeing.
    • Jones Street, the squares, and Forsyth Park were really beautiful.
      • Youngest had to take a #2 and we used Forsyth Park's public facilities. I stood guard for meth heads.
Will definitely go back to Savannah. Not hankering to go back to HHI, but suspect we will some day. Easy cheap flight and warm clean beach is a win.

I got an alert on this thread without realizing i'm the one who started it. :rolleyes: Never did a trip report like usual.

My recollections:
  • Flew allegiant. It was like flying down on an MTA train. Suited us fine.
  • I believe we went for a long weekend in early August - something like Thursday afternoon/Friday in Hilton Head, and Saturday in Savannah. Flew home Sunday morning.
  • Don't remember how we got back and forth from the airport to Hilton Head, then Hilton Head down to Savannah. Think we used a car service (not a ride share).
  • Did use lots of ride shares in Hilton Head.
  • We had a nice time in Hilton Head but it was not really our cup of team.
    • Didnt like how everything was separate/spaced out.
    • Had good dinners at Poseiden at Shelter Cove (umm Triple Tail) and Hudson's Seafood.
    • Visted Coligny and apparently got bombed on something icy and strong at Frosty Frog, all while very vocally professing my love to Mrs Shrmdougluvr (much to her chagrin and my kids' delight).
    • Stayed at the Marriott, which was fine. Kids liked the pool. Ocean was suprisingly warm. Beach was hard.
    • Visited the Coastal Discovery Museum. Enjoyed the walk. Kids petted various animals. Gave the Gullah gentleman making straw baskets a relatively large donation because F the Confederacy! (also I know this is virtue signaling)
  • Really enjoyed our brief time in Savannah.
    • Stayed at the Fairfield Inn i think. It was, you know, a Fairfield Inn.
    • Ate at the Little Duck Diner (amazing grill cheese); ice cream at Leopold's; and dinner at Crystal Beer Parlor (really enjoyed).
    • Did a trolly tour. Our guide was great. "Have a nice life. Follow your dreams."
    • Walked all over and got very hot and sweaty.
    • Riverwalk was meh but worth seeing.
    • Jones Street, the squares, and Forsyth Park were really beautiful.
      • Youngest had to take a #2 and we used Forsyth Park's public facilities. I stood guard for meth heads.
Will definitely go back to Savannah. Not hankering to go back to HHI, but suspect we will some day. Easy cheap flight and warm clean beach is a win.
So you stayed in the Port Royal area which is isolated from the bar and restaurant district. Next time stay in the south forest beach or north forest beach areas. Walking or biking distance to Coligny and al, the other good stuff.

Hey , just rent our villa! It’s right where you want to be!

So you stayed in the Port Royal area which is isolated from the bar and restaurant district. Next time stay in the south forest beach or north forest beach areas. Walking or biking distance to Coligny and al, the other good stuff.

Hey , just rent our villa! It’s right where you want to be!

I would totally do this. We do VRBO all the time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom