SB Nation Article: Can Syracuse sustain it's 10 win Status? | Syracusefan.com

SB Nation Article: Can Syracuse sustain it's 10 win Status?

Once he said he’s worried about our running game I said this boys acting a fool ! Can’t read this stuff a few facts doesn’t make for accurate reporting . Dino or any other coach can’t predict how there own team will fare let alone stat and hearsay reporters ! One says it and others run with it

This is why I like Connelly so much. Yes he uses advanced metrics, but he doesn't just pay attention to the metrics. He even says in the article that the S+P needs more than a year of success. That says to me that this is a big year for SU to prove itself as here to stay. And that's essentially what Connelly says. He's not a "stats say this so that's the end of the story."

He looks at the stats plus his eyes, and his feeling that Babers is a good coach. Some of the rankings may be skewed because it's a one year sample, but I came away from that article feeling as if he was pretty high on the Orange.

I think the highs will be high but there’s an attitude on here that we are immune to upsets and every game against teams with lesser records than us are automatic Ws which is ridiculous.

UNC at home was our easiest ACC game on paper by far and we should have lost it. Dino gave Devito virtually no shot to bring us back either it wasn’t some visionary move he kept Dungey in after a couple seemingly game ending bad throws/drives.

I think the highs will be high but there’s an attitude on here that we are immune to upsets and every game against teams with lesser records than us are automatic Ws which is ridiculous.

UNC at home was our easiest ACC game on paper by far and we should have lost it. Dino gave Devito virtually no shot to bring us back either it wasn’t some visionary move he kept Dungey in after a couple seemingly game ending bad throws/drives.

I agree. Even though a couple of them were terrible last year, I don't count Florida State away, Louisville away and NC State away all as easy wins. And for some reason, Wake Forest, even at the Dome, doesn't feel like a "gimme" to me. We have struggled with them too many times.

The writer is correct. We really need a good, solid season this year. Next year, our roster sets up even better still. Then we will be truly rolling. But we have to stabilize the gains this year, breaking in a new QB.

I agree with Ragman2000. Why no mention of Adams and Jackson. They both will be huge contributors this season. They both showed their abilities against a ranked WVU defense in the bowl game. I like the article and it’s skepticism, but think he should have added the upside of our two stars.

I agree. Even though a couple of them were terrible last year, I don't count Florida State away, Louisville away and NC State away all as easy wins. And for some reason, Wake Forest, even at the Dome, doesn't feel like a "gimme" to me. We have struggled with them too many times.

The writer is correct. We really need a good, solid season this year. Next year, our roster sets up even better still. Then we will be truly rolling. But we have to stabilize the gains this year, breaking in a new QB.
A quarterback with experience and momentum. Tommy only gets better from here.

You got it.
A team doesn't arrive at a plateau and gain asendancy over teams they regularly lost to for years just because of one stellar season. Everything is earned. Works both ways though. That is, great teams have to play well to win too. You can't just show up and expect to win. Look what Purdue did to tOSU last year. App St v Mich years ago. Even SU v Clemson in '17 (w/all those All-Americans/NFL draftees).

You never know how it's going to unfold. That's why I savor every victory and suffer more than your average bear after a loss (truth be told I go on kind of a news blackout till the next game, when the excitement starts to build again).

I appreciate greatly when the players and coaches can celebrate their success after putting in hours of work/practice and studying to remain eligible. For example when Sean Riley did his Dino impression after the Camping World Bowl victory - "the last time it happenned (beating Florida State) the Beatles were hot." A hard-earned team-bonding moment they shared in and I got to experience vicariously.

You got it.
A team doesn't arrive at a plateau and gain asendancy over teams they regularly lost to for years just because of one stellar season. Everything is earned. Works both ways though. That is, great teams have to play well to win too. You can't just show up and expect to win. Look what Purdue did to tOSU last year. App St v Mich years ago. Even SU v Clemson in '17 (w/all those All-Americans/NFL draftees).

You never know how it's going to unfold. That's why I savor every victory and suffer more than your average bear after a loss (truth be told I go on kind of a news blackout till the next game, when the excitement starts to build again).

I appreciate greatly when the players and coaches can celebrate their success after putting in hours of work/practice and studying to remain eligible. For example when Sean Riley did his Dino impression after the Camping World Bowl victory - "the last time it happenned (beating Florida State) the Beatles were hot." A hard-earned team-bonding moment they shared in and I got to experience vicariously.

Yup.

Remember Dino's teams start hot though and us conquering the College Football world and being its undisputed rulers in mid September is 'likely' if you ask me and something I think is happening. But I can't really combine that prediction with a full season prediction nor do I want to all factors considered.

In MLB, a team's W-L record in 1-run games often evens out over a longer span of time.

SU football did not play a lot of close games last year. Only 4 were decided by 10 points or less (we went 2-2) and honestly, we likely "deserved" to go 3-1 in those games. Should have lost to UNC, but we outplayed Clemson for 58+ minutes, should have beaten Pitt, and we surged past a strong/solid NCSU team.

So, in a way, we are "owed" one.

I do agree with the SBNation author that the ACC was down last year and we were good (or better than most thought), so we filled that void.

So, in 2019, I see more close games (maybe 6 give of take) and perhaps we win a majority of these. Mathematically, that is how I see it happening.

I also don't think anyone on the outside (aka "media) gets how much talent we have at the skill positions (we have about 52 WRs on the roster, so a few have to be good, right?) and on the O-Line (depth is likely a better word for this unit).

I do think this team is super polarizing, even to us fans. No doubt there is potential for a 10+ win season, but even Dino has said they are 1 injury away from being another 4-8 team. Devito needs to be healthy and we need to bank on new production on the OL. Fingers crossed, folks!

I’ll be happy with 8 and up, appeased with anything above 6. Gotta string together bowl wins if nothing else.

I think we get 11 this year.

It's going to drive me nuts to hear people complain if we win less than 9. We can win 9+, but some things will need to break our way.
After watching some of the worst football on earth for 17 years, not a chance in hell I'll get upset with a team that wins 7, or 8, or 9 games.

In MLB, a team's W-L record in 1-run games often evens out over a longer span of time.

SU football did not play a lot of close games last year. Only 4 were decided by 10 points or less (we went 2-2) and honestly, we likely "deserved" to go 3-1 in those games. Should have lost to UNC, but we outplayed Clemson for 58+ minutes, should have beaten Pitt, and we surged past a strong/solid NCSU team.

So, in a way, we are "owed" one.

I do agree with the SBNation author that the ACC was down last year and we were good (or better than most thought), so we filled that void.

So, in 2019, I see more close games (maybe 6 give of take) and perhaps we win a majority of these. Mathematically, that is how I see it happening.

I also don't think anyone on the outside (aka "media) gets how much talent we have at the skill positions (we have about 52 WRs on the roster, so a few have to be good, right?) and on the O-Line (depth is likely a better word for this unit).
Smytdz needs to continue to happen next year. Andre was our unsung MVP- keeping us in every game except 1. If he keeps connecting, we’ll more than win our share like last year.

Smytdz needs to continue to happen next year. Andre was our unsung MVP- keeping us in every game except 1. If he keeps connecting, we’ll more than win our share like last year.
He was key to 10 wins, but so was our freakish +13 t.o. ratio.

No reason he shouldn't. He was 30-37, I believe. That's not like hitting 95% of his kicks. It's a sustainable, repeatable number. The big thing was we couldn't punch it into the end zone with Howard as our goal line back often enough. With Adams this year, and that new freshman, I don't think that will be as much of an issue this year. We have a couple guys now who can gain a couple yards even when there isn't a hole.

No reason he shouldn't. He was 30-37, I believe. That's not like hitting 95% of his kicks. It's a sustainable, repeatable number. The big thing was we couldn't punch it into the end zone with Howard as our goal line back often enough. With Adams this year, and that new freshman, I don't think that will be as much of an issue this year. We have a couple guys now who can gain a couple yards even when there isn't a hole.
Howard punched it in plenty. Our inability to score within the shadow of the goal line was based on the interior OL being weak, certainly not based upon Howard's capabilities.

OL is our wild card ...good 8-11 wins, not so good 8 will be hard to get . If we can't run we're in for a long season.