scary thought? Where we be when doug runs out of | Syracusefan.com

scary thought? Where we be when doug runs out of

D

dash-30-dash

g-robs guys? Provo? Lemon? Chew? Bailey? Carter last year. Nassib? West fell in our laps or he doesn't come here. The LB's last year.

Nobody is answering but we all know the answer.....

Even scarier - what happens when multiple young guys leave after this year because they are tired of the whole situation? Who wants to play when it isn't fun? That ESPN inside access show that featured SU was the worst of that series. No other program came across as so dull and lifeless. I expect multiple defections this year that will probably include a few guys that many people had high hopes for.

How many more years are we stuck with Doug? Just 1 right? Meaning he has 2 years left on his deal and since you can't let him recruit as a lame duck if he bombs out next year we can fire him then and move on? I mean that's where this is clearly heading in my opinion.

Even scarier - what happens when multiple young guys leave after this year because they are tired of the whole situation? Who wants to play when it isn't fun? That ESPN inside access show that featured SU was the worst of that series. No other program came across as so dull and lifeless. I expect multiple defections this year that will probably include a few guys that many people had high hopes for.

If they'd rather party than work, they can transfer to Hampton or UMass.

Or hang out with Phil Thomas on his front porch next year.

If a kid takes a 200k scholarship and wants to dog it ... he might as well pack his bags. He won't play for his next coach either.

Its not about kids wanting to "party over work"...

When doug first got here, he ruled with an iron fist in order to instill some discipline into the program. Yeah, we lost some kids, but Doug weeded out the "non-hackers" from the real players. Three years later, Doug still chooses to rule with the same iron fist.

These kids have busted their collective asses for Doug over the past few years. At some point, you need to loosen the reins a little bit or else your message will simply get tuned out.

g-robs guys? Provo? Lemon? Chew? Bailey? Carter last year. Nassib? West fell in our laps or he doesn't come here. The LB's last year.

West fell in our laps?

I am not saying you are wrong for saying that Marrone hasn't recruited a lot of help offensively b/c the stats bear it out. But, really? They still had to recruit him. Just because it was his 2nd choice and he didn't qualify doesn't mean he just fell into the laps.

Staff identified him, recruited him and got him. This would make it seem like every decommit that commits to Syracuse doesn't get credit. I mean, Ri'Shard Anderson fell in our laps too...

Because how many guys left when they were winning 1 or 2 games the previous 4 years.....the sky is falling we are not in the National Championship game all ready...we won 7 games (reg season) last year 2 against 1AA teams...thi year if they pull out Pitt they have 6 1 against 1AA...might have been better if we only won 5 games last year, I think people thought we were further than we are.

This team struck fools gold last year winning 8 games. Some of it was the experienced & talented seniors on defense that gave them some valuable wins on the road, & some was the easy nonconference schedule.

Doug Marrone is head & shoulders above GROB, but this team will need to knuckle under & get some better recruits if they expect to go bowling every year.

this has nothing to do with last year.

When you are 5-2 playing in the worst BCS conference and maybe the worst DIV IA conference in the country, finishing 5-7 or 6-6 at best is NOT acceptable. It's just not when you were 5-2!

this has nothing to do with last year.

When you are 5-2 playing in the worst BCS conference and maybe the worst DIV IA conference in the country, finishing 5-7 or 6-6 at best is NOT acceptable. It's just not when you were 5-2!

If you have inferior talent to all other teams in the conference, & you can still get at least 5 wins in a season, that is something to build on...

You are looking at this entirely the wrong way. We ALREADY have the designs on a well run program vs. a poorly operated program.

With the SAME talent, GROB runs the program into the ground, with 4 wins as the best he could muster...

Marrone takes it & wins 4 games in his first season, with the chance to win 6 or 7 games in his first season.

Then, turns that into 8 games last season.

THEN, comes in with a severely depleted defense & still not enough playmakers on offense, MINUS their biggest threat in Delone Carter... And AGAIN, sadly lacking in the talent that blesses all other conference opponents...

I have seen this show before, back in the 80's, & it ended quite well...

Give it just a little more time, & then we will be in a better position to judge this program.

If you have inferior talent to all other teams in the conference, & you can still get at least 5 wins in a season, that is something to build on...

This is where we disagree though. I believe (as do many others) SU has equal or better talent than USF, UCONN, Rutgers...etc.

we don't. We have very little speed. No backs that can break loose. Look at the star ratings coming out of high school. Those tems, except UConn, have out recruited us.

we don't. We have very little speed. No backs that can break loose. Look at the star ratings coming out of high school. Those tems, except UConn, have out recruited us.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

Its not about kids wanting to "party over work"...

When doug first got here, he ruled with an iron fist in order to instill some discipline into the program. Yeah, we lost some kids, but Doug weeded out the "non-hackers" from the real players. Three years later, Doug still chooses to rule with the same iron fist.

These kids have busted their collective asses for Doug over the past few years. At some point, you need to loosen the reins a little bit or else your message will simply get tuned out.
i have posted many times doug needs to lighten up. the cleanup was called for , but time to relax that strategy and modify his game plan. he needs to relax a little---as his on edge demeanor translates to the team and coaches. bad atmosphere. ---you almost get the feeling there is no sense of humor, or fun. hope he is not to rigid to adjust somewhat

This is where we disagree though. I believe (as do many others) SU has equal or better talent than USF, UCONN, Rutgers...etc.

Rutgers may have the best talent in the BE. SU certainly doesn't.

Were these guys (inlcuding the LB's last year) the players they are now as freshman or even sophomores? The short answer is no.

The kids who are currently freshman and sophomores become juniors and seniors. The thought is some take the next step and become leaders or even stars.

The kids who are currently freshman and sophomores become juniors and seniors. The thought is some take the next step and become leaders or even stars.
If there is indeed a lack of leadership from the upperclassmen this year, it'll shake out soon enough. The true frosh this year were all captains on their HS teams, and many will be pressed into service early. I expect the team will be better managed internally going forward.

If there is indeed a lack of leadership from the upperclassmen this year, it'll shake out soon enough. The true frosh this year were all captains on their HS teams, and many will be pressed into service early. I expect the team will be better managed internally going forward.
I agree with this, I believe the team is lacking leadership it recei8ved from guys like Hogue, Smith and Carter last year, hopefully someone takes the reigns for Pitt and if they make a bowl, and for next season

Don't worry. Trust Marrone no matter what the star ranking system says! (insert sarcasm here)

I totally disagree with that

Which part -(1) that Rutgers may have the best talent in the BE or (2) that SU certainly doesn't?

If (1), fine, but I would bet you that more players from their roster this season make the NFL than any other roster in the conference.

If (2), can you sell me some of what you're smoking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom