Scenario: Step back prior to SU, WV, Pitt, Rut and Lville leaving BE ... | Syracusefan.com

Scenario: Step back prior to SU, WV, Pitt, Rut and Lville leaving BE ...

atcar

Scout Team
does Charlie Strong leave Louisville and Big East for an open position like Tennessee or does he stay put?

He leaves if all are still in old NBE.

I am more inclined to think he stays now that they are headed to the ACC.

Unfortunately with that list, that is still a weak football conference, so I don't see why he would stay.

id say one would leave every single job in the country, save about 8, to go to tennessee.

Coaches had been using the Big East as a launching pad for years. There is no reason to think Charlie Strong wouldn't do the same...had the Big East remained intact.

Every year we see some "HOT" coach that decide to stay only to lay an almighty stinker the following season. Its the Matt Barkley scenario. Leave early and take advantage of the situation or stay the extra year and watch your stock value drop. Charlie's stock will never be higher than it is right now.

Tennessee makes a very compelling argument. A winning coach in Tennessee would be IDOLIZED like a demi-god. They'd be seranading him with "Rocky Top" every waking moment of the day.

Just because its a bigger program in the SEC doesn't mean it's a better job! Fuller had 2 loosing seasons in 16 years and they ran him out of town.

Tennessee makes a very compelling argument. A winning coach in Tennessee would be IDOLIZED like a demi-god. They'd be seranading him with "Rocky Top" every waking moment of the day.

Idolized like a demi-god until you don't have a good enough season and get fired, like Fulmer, even though he had a title.

They'd be seranading him with "Rocky Top" every waking moment of the day.

I thought you were giving reasons why he would want to leave?

Idolized like a demi-god until you don't have a good enough season and get fired, like Fulmer, even though he had a title.
fulmer made 2.4 million his last year.

and was paid 3.25million to go away.

that aint happening in the bap.

id say one would leave every single job in the country, save about 8, to go to tennessee.

I would have thought that the day Kiffin became their coach.

Since then, they found an ok WAC guy, fanbase hated him from the start, fired him, and now they seem to be the school who you talk to if you want to get a raise from your current school. That's what happened with Gundy and appears to be what is happening with Strong.

does Charlie Strong leave Louisville and Big East for an open position like Tennessee or does he stay put?
He would absolutely have gone. It's the SEC.

And, on a tangent--that's also why I think all of this angst about how the BE could have been saved in the '80's if only PSU had been admitted is baloney. If the Big 10 had come calling in '90 (and, I think they would have), the Nits were gonzo. It's the Big 10.

I've never used this pic before, so I'm kinda excited...

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

He would absolutely have gone. It's the SEC.

And, on a tangent--that's also why I think all of this angst about how the BE could have been saved in the '80's if only PSU had been admitted is baloney. If the Big 10 had come calling in '90 (and, I think they would have), the Nits were gonzo. It's the Big 10.
no.

joepa was in charge and he WANTED and eastern football conf.

penn st
Syracuse
pitt
bc
wv
rut
temple

wouldve been the foundation. from there, speculate all you want...

miami??
fsu??
vpi??
lville??
cincy??

who the F knows, maybe joepas refusal to give up 'his' eastern conf for the b1g consortium or whatever wouldve forced the psu BOT to get him out and whole lot of little boys wouldnt have been arseraped for 25 years.

Coaches had been using the Big East as a launching pad for years. There is no reason to think Charlie Strong wouldn't do the same...had the Big East remained intact.

Every year we see some "HOT" coach that decide to stay only to lay an almighty stinker the following season. Its the Matt Barkley scenario. Leave early and take advantage of the situation or stay the extra year and watch your stock value drop. Charlie's stock will never be higher than it is right now.

But if he does not win immediately he is gone.

Charlie- Sign a ten year contract and stay at Louisville.

who the F knows, maybe joepas refusal to give up 'his' eastern conf for the b1g consortium or whatever wouldve forced the psu BOT to get him out and whole lot of little boys wouldnt have been arseraped for 25 years.
What might have been.

I
He leaves if all are still in old NBE.

I am more inclined to think he stays now that they are headed to the ACC.
I think strong would definately still end up leaving. Its all about the money and i dont think the old big east still wouldnt have made that much money per team frankly cause the leadership flat out sucked!! Lol so teams leavin whether it didnt happen till later years was a foregone conclusion

no.

joepa was in charge and he WANTED and eastern football conf.

penn st
Syracuse
pitt
bc
wv
rut
temple

wouldve been the foundation. from there, speculate all you want...

miami??
fsu??
vpi??
lville??
cincy??

If JoePa would have been willing to split the money more fairly he could have had that.

Lots of blame to go around for why a great eastern seaboard conference failed to materialize. Probably would have been just what you listed, but maybe swap out Cincy for Navy/Army. Or even Maryland.

*sigh*

Unfortunately with that list, that is still a weak football conference, so I don't see why he would stay.

The brands are top shelf. Miami and Florida State will be back at the top. The Seminoles took a step forward this year. Miami has already died a few times as a program. Just look at how fast USC, Ohio State and Penn State will be bouncing back. It's like they never missed a beat. There's no reason that conference won't draw eyeballs and win bowl games if both the Florida schools are in the top 10 on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom