Scenic/relaxing places to hang out. | Syracusefan.com

Scenic/relaxing places to hang out.

4evaOrange

Go kick rocks you goober!!!
So I’ve hiked Clark’s, Pratt’s, and Hang Glider Hill/Tinker Falls. And all are very nice and peaceful to eat lunch/read/listen to music/enjoy the outside.

Looking for other places to visit…

I’ll count Oswego lake side maybe parts of Onondaga lake park. Just looking for other places that anyone can think of.
I want to explore more find more hidden places.

Do you kayak? There are a lot of small lakes and streams to really escape to. There is an Upstate NY Kayak (or Paddling) Facebook page that shows a lot of great places and another website (name escapes me) that will show you all your options when you put the area in you want.

If you don't kayak I would recommend it. It takes you to areas you will never ever see.

Do you kayak? There are a lot of small lakes and streams to really escape to. There is an Upstate NY Kayak (or Paddling) Facebook page that shows a lot of great places and another website (name escapes me) that will show you all your options when you put the area in you want.

If you don't kayak I would recommend it. It takes you to areas you will never ever see.

I don’t but I like the idea of new places. Will look for it.

And Sherm, YMCA?

So I’ve hiked Clark’s, Pratt’s, and Hang Glider Hill/Tinker Falls. And all are very nice and peaceful to eat lunch/read/listen to music/enjoy the outside.

Looking for other places to visit…

I’ll count Oswego lake side maybe parts of Onondaga lake park. Just looking for other places that anyone can think of.
I want to explore more find more hidden places.
I am partial to the St. Lawrence river, but also take the “lift” up to Jr Whiteface at a Lake Placid and do Ausable Chasm, which is very cool.

I am partial to the St. Lawrence river, but also take the “lift” up to Jr Whiteface at a Lake Placid and do Ausable Chasm, which is very cool.
I got a camp in cape Vincent so I’m familiar with alllllll of that. I’ve thought about Catskills and, lake placid, and adk would love to camp there but just don’t wanna run into bears.

That’s like 30 min from the campus right?
Believe Salmon Falls is. Chimney Bluffs is on Lake Ontario and maybe a little further.

Letchworth and Buttermilk Falls are a little farther too but quite nice. As is Taughannock Falls State Park.

I got a camp in cape Vincent so I’m familiar with alllllll of that. I’ve thought about Catskills and, lake placid, and adk would love to camp there but just don’t wanna run into bears.
We have a favorite Catskill place, but it may close in winter. ( The Shamrock House. Rustic is generous, but so are the people. Food is good too.) Most of the hiking we do are to shops, craft breweries and restaurants, but the West Kill area has a pretty step hike.
Forgot that there is a place near the Delaware Water Gap with something like 12,000 stairs. Very cool.

Believe Salmon Falls is. Chimney Bluffs is on Lake Ontario and maybe a little further.

Letchworth and Buttermilk Falls are a little farther too but quite nice. As is Taughannock Falls State Park.

Have heard of letchworth and I don’t know if I have of buttermilk. And Taughannock I’ve never heard of. Will look into them.

Here is that spot near (part of?) the Delaware Water Gap.

I wouldn’t worry about bears. Just don’t leave food out and don’t bring it in your tent if that’s what you’re sleeping in, and they won’t care about you. I’ve never heard of anybody getting attacked by a bear in the Adirondacks, and people are out there all summer every year.

Ive encountered them twice, some of my family have too - had some family members walking home from a bar in old forge and had one walk right past them in the middle of town, lol. My sister was out jogging and had one go past her.

I wouldn’t worry about bears. Just don’t leave food out and don’t bring it in your tent if that’s what you’re sleeping in, and they won’t care about you. I’ve never heard of anybody getting attacked by a bear in the Adirondacks, and people are out there all summer every year.

Ive encountered them twice, some of my family have too - had some family members walking home from a bar in old forge and had one walk right past them in the middle of town, lol. My sister was out jogging and had one go past her.
Knowing my luck I’d run into one and have to throw down with it.

And yes I’d rather do camping in a tent but have my car wherever in a short walk if it does get sketchy but would like to be down by some water to fish in and have a fire set and have my stuff all out. Ideally would like to do something like this for like 4 days.

You guys really knocking these out of the park with the suggestions. Appreciate it.

With the two times I’ve done hang glider hill at the very top I’ve thought about throwing up a tent but idk if you’re allowed to and then having a fire cause there no spots up there for that.

I don’t but I like the idea of new places. Will look for it.

And Sherm, YMCA?

I recall you being a legend on the hardwood there. Maybe reliving your past glory will be cathartic for you?

When I lived in Syracuse, and I just wanted to "reflect," I found this spot to be as good as any.

I know it's pretty busy there now, but give me a coffee and let me just sit there for an our or so ...

I recall you being a legend on the hardwood there. Maybe reliving your past glory will be cathartic for you?

When I lived in Syracuse, and I just wanted to "reflect," I found this spot to be as good as any.

I know it's pretty busy there now, but give me a coffee and let me just sit there for an our or so ...
Ahhhh my man. I like the way you think.

Have heard of letchworth and I don’t know if I have of buttermilk. And Taughannock I’ve never heard of. Will look into them.
Taughanock just a few miles north of Ithaca on the West side of the lake. Long trail along rushing stream ends in gorge with waterfall. Been their many times. Great for swimming except they kick you out if Park Officials come by.

Siss and Bubb Lake in between Old Forge and Inlet.

Quick 20 minute or so hikes to two small lakes in the middle of the woods. No beaches, boats, camps, and unless you go on a summer weekend - good chance there’s no people around.

Siss and Bubb Lake in between Old Forge and Inlet.

Quick 20 minute or so hikes to two small lakes in the middle of the woods. No beaches, boats, camps, and unless you go on a summer weekend - good chance there’s no people around.
Is it open to pitch a tent? Start a fire?

Bumping this bad boy back.

For those who have done the Hang Glider Hill and Tinker falls trails, has anyone done the path that starts at Spruce Pond? If so is that the 8 mile hike? Or is there a different one that’s 8 miles?

I would worry about bears because they are man-eating freaks!

Go to Letchworth. Easy trip. Lovely if you like nature, which is weird as nature is terrifying, but if that's your thing, and you find it relaxing, do it up.