Schedule discussion | Syracusefan.com

Schedule discussion

GoSU96

Living Legend
Enough with the off the field stuff, tickets, buildings, highways.

Packer and Durham went through a most important game exercise today for each team.

Wes said NCSt, Mark said Clemson. I agree with NCSt. You can’t have a house money game as your most important

NCSt is bigger for different reasons based on the outcome of the Clemson game. Beat Clemson and NCSt is the biggest hurdle to an all time season. Lose and NCSt is in the way to the Orange Bowl.

Plus it’s a Thurs night national game, let’s hope Tommy handles it better than McNabb and Rodgers did, at least he won’t approach it like a Heisman showcase.

NC State is a weird game to assess. I know they've been building for a while but it seems like they lost a lot of talent.

I want to put it in the bucket of "games we should win if we're as good as we think we are."

Agree with NC State, especially with the Thursday night aspect.

I'd put FSU second. There are a lot of proud, talented guys playing with a chip on their shoulder this year (are any of them on the OL?). It would be nice to get a first win in Tallahassee and take control of no worse than 2nd place on the hard side of this league.

I agree re: NC State, will be a tough game but I expect we should win given how much talent they’ve lost.

For me the biggest games for us this year are Pitt and FSU.

Enough with the off the field stuff, tickets, buildings, highways.

Packer and Durham went through a most important game exercise today for each team.

Wes said NCSt, Mark said Clemson. I agree with NCSt. You can’t have a house money game as your most important

NCSt is bigger for different reasons based on the outcome of the Clemson game. Beat Clemson and NCSt is the biggest hurdle to an all time season. Lose and NCSt is in the way to the Orange Bowl.

Plus it’s a Thurs night national game, let’s hope Tommy handles it better than McNabb and Rodgers did, at least he won’t approach it like a Heisman showcase.
if Cuse is 5-0, then that means 'he' beat Clemson and therefore game 6 on Thursday Night, WILL BE a Heisman watch game.

and holy shlit, I just noticed that game is opposite the Giants-patsies.

and a possible NYY playoff game.

well that sucks...

at least nobody will be watching if the Orange lay a dud.

NC State is a weird game to assess. I know they've been building for a while but it seems like they lost a lot of talent.

I want to put it in the bucket of "games we should win if we're as good as we think we are."

Obvious turnover on the offense at the skill positions and a couple names on defense. But our success rate against them is awful, and a Thursday roadie, which I don’t know we have ever won except I think ECU decades ago.

Thursday roadie, which I don’t know we have ever won except I think ECU decades ago.

Two off the top of my head: 1997 at Rutgers and 1999 at Pitt. But since then we have struggled.

Obvious turnover on the offense at the skill positions and a couple names on defense. But our success rate against them is awful, and a Thursday roadie, which I don’t know we have ever won except I think ECU decades ago.
Yeah but this is a Thursday roadie coming off a bye which I don’t think has been the case before

At a quick glance it seems like it should be a win
Looking deeper into it, I have a feeling it's a coin flip with a tiny Syracuse lean
I think we have more depth then they do and will be a big factor in the game

At a quick glance it seems like it should be a win
Looking deeper into it, I have a feeling it's a coin flip with a tiny Syracuse lean
I think we have more depth then they do and will be a big factor in the game

Nobody but a SU fan would think SU has better depth than NCSt.

Right now SU has a better first 28 based on experience and "star" power. NCSt objectively has a better 1-85.

Let's hope we don't have to go beyond the rotation. It's like in the Mac/P days, SU's starters and next level rotation could play with anyone, but after that the drop off compared to other P5 schools is big.

Last edited:
@ State a Thursday on the road makes it a much more difficult road atmosphere then let’s say a Saturday at 12...

Reactions: gbo
thursday day hype game for nc st.. if we are good they will be gunning for us. if they are struggling the fans might not show up if they are decent it will be a tough game.

Right now SU has a better first 28 based on experience and "star" power. NCSt objectively has a better 1-85.

Let's hope we don't have to go beyond the rotation. It's like in the Mac/P days, SU's starters and next level rotation could play with anyone, but after that the big drop off compared to other P5 schools is big.
You may be correct on 1-85, but most of them will not see the field. If they do, NCState is in trouble because 1-28 could not play the pace with SU.

Recall, SU's pace has kept an under talented team in many games, pulling a few upsets along with the way, and nearly several more. NCState will not be an easy out but should be in an SU favored/lean SU/should win column.

FSU will be the tougher game because they have blue chip talent. The issue is whether they can grasp the new system on both sides of the ball before they play SU. Last fall, SU's scheme won over talent. This fall, FSU is in year two of their install of a similar system, when do things start to click for them? (Hopefully never, but not likely).

Last edited:
Maryland is up there for me.

If we blow an early one it completely ruins a lot of what we are counting on going into Clemson
Your concern may be legitimate in most seasons but we have a few major factors that should put the game in the SU favored/lean SU/Should win column:

1) HCDB has the team ready for early games. His first two season he had far less talent and depth, the team was ready (or as ready as could be with the new system install). Last season proved he was no fluke. SU will be ready for Liberty and Maryland. It is unreasonable to judge HCDB against prior coaches without crediting his performance. Too many fans on here attribute former coaches' habit of failing to plan early games, overlooking teams, and simply blowing What The &^%# games to HCDB without any analysis and without giving HCDB credit for his record. Aside from the fact that common sense dictates that fair analysis be completed, it is so far from the truth the point should not be brought up anymore. Unless there is proof that HCDB teams are not ready out of the gate, this point alone should favor SU.

2) SU is in year 4 of the HCDB system. Every player and coach knows what they are doing. Juxtapose that with the fact that Maryland is starting the season with a new coach and a new system on O and on D. Plainly, they will play to their ability, which should not be overlooked, but they are not as developed in their system as SU is. Systems count. Heavy edge to SU.

3) HCDB is a proven winning coach at the highest levels. Maryland's coach has yet to prove he can coach at the D1 level let alone the P5 level. Heavy edge to SU.

4) SU plays at a pace that drives teams mad and wears down the starters/stars. Maryland is in no way ready for the SU game. Even if they install the same system and work on conditioning, defensively they will not be ready until the end of the season at best, offensively, not until sometime next fall at best. Heavy edge to SU.

5) Talent. Maryland has been recruiting an higher lever, no doubt, at least according to the recruiting services. Regardless, on paper, Maryland talent runs deeper, top to bottom, though I believe our starters match up well enough for a draw, I concede that Maryland talent gives Maryland the edge.

6) Special teams. SU one of the best. Need we say more? Well developed under HCDB, Maryland has a new system, too, in week two, will their special teams be special? Heavy edge to SU.

In short, Maryland has very little favoring them, SU should be a favorite and HCDB should be expected to win. If HCDB had a history of overlooking teams, loosing games early (poor preparation), or What The &^$ games, I may be concerned, but HCDB is prepared even when he has far less talent (see VATech, Clemson two years running, FSU with far more talent than Maryland, etc.). SU should be the odds on favorite in spite of this game being at Maryland.

I do agree that if SU lays an egg at Liberty or Maryland, the Clemson game will ruined. I simply don't see how SU loses to either team, at least on paper.

Some things to keep in mind about that N.C. State game:

* both teams get 12 days to rest/prepare - how has HCDB done with games following bye weeks? Who has that info?

* State may well be 3-2 after facing FSU and WVU in the early going. I know WVU is replacing their QB but they have a great system and players, they’ve a good shot of winning at home against State. No one thinks they are going into their game with us undefeated (read: assumed loss to FSU) and that says a lot about thinking around this program

* State has a horrible record in October (6-18 under Doreen)

* they have lost a TON of talent on offense - quoting from elsewhere “Drinkwitz (offensive coordinator) is now head coach at Appalachian State, and Doeren has to replace a nearly 4,000-yard passer (Ryan Finley), a 1,000-yard rusher (Reggie Gallaspy, Jr.), two 1,000-yard receivers (Kelvin Harmon and Jakobi Meyers), an all-conference tackle (Tyler Jones), an All-American guard (Terronne Prescod), and a Consensus All-American and first-round draft pick at center (Garrett Bradbury).”

* did I read correctly that Mc F-it is now a co-offensive coordinator at State? What a wonderful surprise!

* a strong start by the Orange and the crowd will disperse in respect of their Friday work day, home field advantage over.

If we’re legit, NC State or FSU is that game.

Of course beating Clemson would be incredible, but I think it’s a bit much to have visions of a CFP.. Orange Bowl is more realistic. That would require us taking care of business against everyone not named Clemson.

In terms of the game I’m most nervous for.. Its easily Maryland. 2-0 heading into the Clemson game, with a manageable in-conference schedule to follow, is just so, so important in terms of momentum.

3) HCDB is a proven winning coach at the highest levels. Maryland's coach has yet to prove he can coach at the D1 level let alone the P5 level. Heavy edge to SU.
That's a generous way of stating the comparison between the two head coaches.

Maryland
FSU
NCS
And of course Clemson

For those worried about Maryland per Phil Steel they are 110th in returning starters. Add that to who is on the headset and not. worried. at. all.

Western Michigan on the other hand is 4th with 17 returning starters.

There’s your trap game, but as a reminder Gerg is the only coach in the last 40 years to lose to a MAC team.

Let's hope we don't have to go beyond the rotation. It's like in the Mac/P days, SU's starters and next level rotation could play with anyone, but after that the drop off compared to other P5 schools is big.

Amazed by your depth of knowledge of the NC State 3-deep. Are you basing it on recruiting stats or you read up on the recruits?

Amazed by your depth of knowledge of the NC State 3-deep. Are you basing it on recruiting stats or you read up on the recruits?

NCSt has had more draft picks in the last two years than my guess SU has had since P left total. Might be an exaggeration, but not by much.

Their five year record is 9-4, 9-4, 7-6, 7-6, 8-5.

Here are their recruiting rankings (and I get it, bunch of grains of salt, but their lowest is within a couple of spots of our best, so that has some relative merit.)

2019: 28th
2018: 34th
2017: 53rd
2016: 43rd
2015: 35th
2014: 30th

• 2019: 51st (20 players)
  • 2018: 50th (20 players)
  • 2017: 54th (27 players)
  • 2016: 62nd (21 players)
  • 2015: 57th (29 players)
  • 2014: 52nd (25 players)
  • 2013: 74th (22 players)

It's not some great insight to see that based on the above that their overall roster is going to be better. Doren has a proven track record that he has built a very solid program and he has a significant head start so overcourse the roster is going to be better top to bottom. It's not an indictment, just reality.

Why so touchy?

Dino Babers has beaten four ranked teams while at Syracuse.

Mike Locksely has beaten three teams total as a head coach.
And Rutgers was one of those three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom