Schedule Warning: WMU Broncos | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Warning: WMU Broncos

SU94

Starter
It's the fourth game of the season, but I am a tad wary of Western Michigan. Consider:
  • They gave SU a decent-scare last year in Kalamazoo (good guys won, 55-42).
  • Western Michigan played in the Cotton Bowl two years ago (2016-17) with a record of 13-0 and lost to Wisconsin by one score (L, 16-24). A decent chunk of their roster was recruited off that great season and are now upperclassmen.
  • The Broncos have played in a bowl game four of the last five seasons and their last losing campaign came in 2013.
  • This is a program that, since 2000, has posted victories against Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Virginia (road win).
  • We are again facing a former coach with a point to prove.
  • WMU returns 17 starters (including senior QB Jon Wassink) and is one of the favorites in the MAC's West Division.
  • This game follows the crescendo that is Clemson. There will be a let down, almost assuredly, in some fashion. It's called human nature.
Not a layup by any means.

they aren't stiffs by any means and yes it's right after Clemson, but we will take them out handily

You are over thinking this
Our Defense is light years ahead of where it was during that game.
The coaches made some mistakes that have been fix and I don't see them happening again.
If we are healthy we should beat them in an easy fashion.

You are over thinking this
Our Defense is light years ahead of where it was during that game.
The coaches made some mistakes that have been fix and I don't see them happening again.
If we are healthy we should beat them in an easy fashion.
I wonder if T.D. has a little added motivation to light them up. Personally, I suspect he is all about the bigger picture, but I wonder if he would want a little chance to do some curb stomping after such an ignominious debut...even if it was not at all his fault.

It's the fourth game of the season, but I am a tad wary of Western Michigan. Consider:
  • Western Michigan played in the Cotton Bowl two years ago (2016-17) with a record of 13-0 and lost to Wisconsin by one score (L, 16-24). A decent chunk of their roster was recruited off that great season and are now upperclassmen.
  • The Broncos have played in a bowl game four of the last five seasons and their last losing campaign came in 2013.
  • This is a program that, since 2000, has posted victories against Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Virginia (road win).
  • WMU returns 17 starters (including senior QB Jon Wassink) and is one of the favorites in the MAC's West Division.
  • This game follows the crescendo that is Clemson. There will be a let down, almost assuredly, in some fashion. It's called human nature.

Western's good. Good chance at winning the MAC. But they're NOT that good.

Each week HCDB and staff will have to focus on the upcoming game, plan accordingly and get the players ready to play. The drill is not new. The staff is experienced. The team will be ready week in and week out.

If When SU beats Clemson, HCDB will allow the players to celebrate, and then get them back in the mindset of focusing on the next game. There will be no drop off, taking teams for granted, let down, over-exuberance, or whatever else. HCDB wants a championship and knows that each week is a new hurdle and must be crossed if you want a championship. The team has come a long ways and has a long ways to go before winning championship, but HCDB has a plan and will always work towards the plan.

I know we’re still debating whether we’ve arrived as a program but we’ll handle this game at home. This isn’t the basketball forum where we should be worried about which mid majors will put us back on the bubble again.

I respect W Mich and agree that its not a lay up. I dont think we can play bad and expect to win. At the same time we didn't play at our best last year and beat them by 20 at their place. I don't see us losing at home. Dino will have them ready.

Western's good. Good chance at winning the MAC. But they're NOT that good.

Can I just say that it’s friggin’ awesome you still post on this board. Hopefully you’re a Cuse fan for life. Too bad it didn’t work out medically for Steven, but man, I’m sure as hell glad you’re still giving all of us your insights here. Thanks for sticking around Mr C!

Ah, we let our foot off the gas pedal, and the D was very much a work in progress, and got gashed for several HUGE chunk plays, which made that game seem a lot closer than it was.

Once Dungey went back in, we regained full control of that game, and probably could have named our score in terms of points scored.

IF we beat Clemson, then the coaches will certainly make sure we don't squander that by losing this game.
IF we lose to Clemson, the coaches will harp on "don't let them beat you TWICE" by not being fully engaged for the next game.

Which is at home. Not at Kalamazoo.

It's far from a gimme, but - we should be favored by at least low double digits, barring injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom