Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC | Syracusefan.com

Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Alright sports fans, let's be honest here:

Scheyer and Davis as assistants have been around more winning, better recruiting, deeper tournament runs, have coached more NBA players, and overall have accomplished more than our assistants, and DUKE AND UNC ARE INSANE FOR NAMING THEM AS HEAD COACHES FOLLOWING LEGENDS.

We can take the crazy crown though if we name Red or GMAC to be HC when JB is done. Is that what we want? The crazy crown? Because let me tell ya, heavy is the head...

I have to think that these choices were not entered into lightly, with nothing more than "He's an alum!!!" going into the choice. The AD's have their jobs on the line, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

I do not believe (apologies to certain posters here) that JB will have a significant say in our next coach (unless, of course, he "retires" at the beginning of November). We have to trust the AD. If it doesn't work out, he's looking for another job, too. Same goes for Duke, UNC.

I have to think that these choices were not entered into lightly, with nothing more than "He's an alum!!!" going into the choice. The AD's have their jobs on the line, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

I do not believe (apologies to certain posters here) that JB will have a significant say in our next coach (unless, of course, he "retires" at the beginning of November). We have to trust the AD. If it doesn't work out, he's looking for another job, too. Same goes for Duke, UNC.
I am convinced that JB will do exactly that.

Alright sports fans, let's be honest here:

Scheyer and Davis as assistants have been around more winning, better recruiting, deeper tournament runs, have coached more NBA players, and overall have accomplished more than our assistants, and DUKE AND UNC ARE INSANE FOR NAMING THEM AS HEAD COACHES FOLLOWING LEGENDS.

We can take the crazy crown though if we name Red or GMAC to be HC when JB is done. Is that what we want? The crazy crown? Because let me tell ya, heavy is the head...

a little dramatic. And I don’t think those assts accomplished any more than anyone. Duke and unc and coach k and Williams did. They just happened to be on staff. You said it right when you said “around more”.

I made this point in another thread, but it wasn’t like some great candidates were interested either. I also would like to see data whether or not hiring from outside works more than hiring from within. Anyway I think those two hires along with Woodson at Indiana pretty much guarantees we will pick from a pool of 2-3 candidates and everyone knows who those candidates are.

That is a bit too heavy handed for me. Red is a respected basketball guy. He deserves more respect than that. Would he be my first choice? I don't know. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

You are probably right, but I just feel very strongly that my preference would not be hiring one of our current assistants in his first head job.

You are probably right, but I just feel very strongly that my preference would not be hiring one of our current assistants in his first head job.
That really wasn't my argument. There seems to be a thought in some circles that Red will not be a serious candidate for the job. He will be. I am not saying that he will get it. Or that I want him to get it. Just that Red will get a serious interview.

I made this point in another thread, but it wasn’t like some great candidates were interested either. I also would like to see data whether or not hiring from outside works more than hiring from within. Anyway I think those two hires along with Woodson at Indiana pretty much guarantees we will pick from a pool of 2-3 candidates and everyone knows who those candidates are.
1. Mike Hopkins
We don’t know who is thought of more higher between GMac and Autry.

We do know though that Wildhack rejected making GMac HCIW so who knows if it’s him or Autry.

I can’t believe THIS GUY is taking over for the guy with 11 final fours and five NCs.

That is a bit too heavy handed for me. Red is a respected basketball guy. He deserves more respect than that. Would he be my first choice? I don't know. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
If his kid is a top recruit, gotta think he might have the upper hand plus, if they turn to the bench, going with GMac is bad optics in the 2020s

1. Mike Hopkins
We don’t know who is thought of more higher between GMac and Autry.

We do know though that Wildhack rejected making GMac HCIW so who knows if it’s him or Autry.
I am inquiring, how do we know the later? Is that close to program stuff?

To be clear, I'm not saying Red and GMAC shouldn't be in the candidate pool.

I'm saying that UNC and Duke are taking a huge risk with very little clear upside going this way, and that's not a gamble our program should make.

I can’t believe THIS GUY is taking over for the guy with 11 final fours and five NCs.

I dunno—seems appropriate:

HxpbPjx.jpg

To be clear, I'm not saying Red and GMAC shouldn't be in the candidate pool.

I'm saying that UNC and Duke are taking a huge risk with very little clear upside going this way, and that's not a gamble our program should make.
Also limited downside. Both of these guys can recruit and with the portal now lots of other issues can be masked.

also have to consider who would’ve taken the jobs honestly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom