Scholarships | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships

20Plus

Most complained about how devasting it was to lose scholarships. Now we have them back and can not fill them.

We needed one out of Batttle, Golden, Bazley to be part of the 2018-19 roster.

It hurts to lose out on Golden because it was the bandaid from the Bazley wound. He seemed very obtainable and reasonable competition. Not the end of the world but we need another player.

Tyus could still return. I think it's a toss-up, not a sure thing he's leaving as many seem to believe.
I agree but leaning towards have a good camp and convincing himself to stay in

1) There is still a lot of time left to add another guy and there are a lot of grad transfers still uncommitted.

2) Tyus could still come back.

3) Not that OP was saying we should fill all scholarship spots, but this is my friendly reminder to all that filling every single scholarship spot is not always a good idea. In fact, I'd say it's often a bad idea.

I'm just concerned kids don't want to come here like they used to, that the Cuse has lost some of its appeal. I personally bleed Orange and never understand why a player wouldn't pick Syracuse (semi serious, semi joking). Its just upsetting to see more kids not have the love or excitement they used to for Syracuse (Some still do and that is not a remark about anyone specifically). Maybe I am wrong, I hope I am, but I'm running out of reasons to convince myself otherwise. Just my personal feelings.

I'm just concerned kids don't want to come here like they used to, that the Cuse has lost some of its appeal. I personally bleed Orange and never understand why a player wouldn't pick Syracuse (semi serious, semi joking). Its just upsetting to see more kids not have the love or excitement they used to for Syracuse (Some still do and that is not a remark about anyone specifically). Maybe I am wrong, I hope I am, but I'm running out of reasons to convince myself otherwise. Just my personal feelings.

I know it can feel that way, but the caliber of the recruits we've landed through this stretch of NCAA sanctions is on par with what we've landed historically (under JB). Having no depth has been an/THE issue, but northeast kids still look at Cuse favorably. Nova is potentially becoming the top choice for Philly/NYC/DC/NJ kids, but they're basically just picking up the slack UConn and G'town's irrelevance has created, not cutting into what we do in that area.

10 is optimal. You get to practice 5-5 with no walk-ons. You get competition for spots. You can deal with a couple of injuries and foul trouble. less that that you are getting a little too thin. More than that and you have guys grumbling at the end of the bench. If Battle comes back, we have 10 guys. If he doesn't we have several guys who can play his position and could really use another big, either a third center that might allow Sidibie to play some forward, (if his knees are finally OK), or a third forward. I think we lost Golden because he wanted to start. A project like Braswell might be the ticket.

1) There is still a lot of time left to add another guy and there are a lot of grad transfers still uncommitted.

2) Tyus could still come back.

3) Not that OP was saying we should fill all scholarship spots, but this is my friendly reminder to all that filling every single scholarship spot is not always a good idea. In fact, I'd say it's often a bad idea.

Keeping 1 open is fine. Maybe even two in certain situations.

But right now, we have 8 scholarships accounted for (9 if Tyus returns, Buddy not included in count). We have 12 to use before getting to 13 next year. If we go into the season with 3-4 unused scholarships, that's just horrendous roster management, especially with two guys coming off major knee issues and after what we just saw this past year. There's still time to add, but pickings will get slimmer and slimmer.

This pretty typical of most P5 schools ... Anything more than 2 scholarships open is usually an indication of bad things (e.g., coach fired/left, being under FBI investigation, impending sanctions, etc.) based on a non-exhaustive review of team rosters on verbalcommits.com.

But right now, we have 8 scholarships accounted for (9 if Tyus returns, Buddy not included in count). We have 12 to use before getting to 13 next year. If we go into the season with 3-4 unused scholarships, that's just horrendous roster management, especially with two guys coming off major knee issues and after what we just saw this past year. There's still time to add, but pickings will get slimmer and slimmer.
Buddy is misleading. Look at scholarship type players not schollies used

Is Buddy a scholarship level player, one we would have recruited even if he were unrelated to the coach? or should be put him in the same category as the walk-ons?

I agree that we need to add more than what we have now. idk if Buddy is getting a schollie or not, but he's a scholarship caliber player, so he should count. I'd be happy with 11 guys going into the season.

If Mark Few of Gonzaga offered him, I would definitely say he's no walk-on ...
Conspiracy Theory Alert:

Few and Coach Boeheim are friends.
Boeheim got Few to offer Buddy as cover so he could justify recruiting his own son.

(Mark my words...this just invented bit of nonsense will spread if Buddy happens to have a few bad games.).

you are wrong.
the fact of the matter is that this recruiting cycle was an a+ job: burger boy bazley, jordan game carey & buddy. bazley not coming is a bolt out of the blue fluke that hurts but doesn't change the fact that he chose su.
weird things sometimes happen to recruits - eg, winfred walton, moustapha diagne. but anything that happens between the signing of the loi and matriculation is not a recruiting issue.

the recruiting is fine.

Not sure about that. Battle was a stud recruit. Bazley was coming, if he went to college. Carey is a big time recruit. Richardson was big time.

buddy is a 3 star who we do not even need to burn a scholie on to get him on campus.

Most complained about how devasting it was to lose scholarships. Now we have them back and can not fill them.

We needed one out of Batttle, Golden, Bazley to be part of the 2018-19 roster.

It hurts to lose out on Golden because it was the bandaid from the Bazley wound. He seemed very obtainable and reasonable competition. Not the end of the world but we need another player.
I wouldn't put golden in the class with tyus and the other guy but it would have been a nice pickup. Tyus coming back would be the difference between a bubble team and a top 4 acc team.

you are wrong.
the fact of the matter is that this recruiting cycle was an a+ job: burger boy bazley, jordan game carey & buddy. bazley not coming is a bolt out of the blue fluke that hurts but doesn't change the fact that he chose su.
weird things sometimes happen to recruits - eg, winfred walton, moustapha diagne. but anything that happens between the signing of the loi and matriculation is not a recruiting issue.

the recruiting is fine.
JB didnt have much to do with Baz. It was all Grif.

JB didnt have much to do with Baz. It was all Grif.

JB hired Grif.

Also, neither the post you responded to, nor the post that that poster responded to mentioned anything about JB. Are you just posting random things, or did you mean to post to a different thread?

29jz8o.jpg

Is Buddy a scholarship level player, one we would have recruited even if he were unrelated to the coach? or should be put him in the same category as the walk-ons?

I would say he should absolutely be put in the category of a recruited scholarship player, time will prove whether he belonged there. But, I don't see anyway (barring a major injury) that he has a lower career trajectory than I expect from HW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom