Scoring | Syracusefan.com

Scoring

GoSU96

Living Legend
There is only one other time since '59 that the team has averaged this many points a game 6 games into the season, '98 the average 43.8 and the record was 4-2. Finished 8-4

In '96 the average was 39.5 and the record was 4-2., finished 9-3

The highest average through 6 games after those two years was '59, record was 6-0. Finished 11-0

Interesting note, the defense after giving up 21 in the first game, allowed 0,6,6,0, and 0 the following five games.

Averaging 43 pts a game through six games is significant. That is still a high number, good for 14th in the country.

Five out of six with 30 or more points. That's two more than all of last year, same as all of 2016. During Shafer's tenure that was accomplished 9 times in 36 games.

Just another indicator that this team is much more likely to wins with 8 wins than 4.

someday we will stop getting the min we can out of the chances we create too. we worked really had to only score 30 vs fsu

Interesting stat. It would be wonderful to see them finish 8-4 or better.

Out of curiosity, what is the longest drive yard wise so far this season and along those lines how many drives to score from their own 25 or less? The field position has been crazy good along with Smytz being almost perfect. Two things I'd love to see are the O driving from the 15 or less and scoring and more 1 play big yardage TD's.

I'd be interested in the percentage of 3 and outs in the Dino era. May be blurred by expectations but we seem to be scoring more but seem to have more 3 and out drives as well. I may be totally off base and internally just looking for reasons why our D gasses out.

I'm curious how points per possession compare, given the completely different tempos of the offenses. Not curious enough to research it, but curious none the less.

Not arguing with your post because our kicker will remain good

But a punt return td, a punt block td, and 16 of 17 FG sure helps an offense. If we were 11 for 17 without those two scores, we'd have scored 38 a game.

long way of saying that Szmyt is doing a great job

we also lost 2 tds on balls that were inside the 1 and got fumbled or called back. we should/need to be scoring 35+ in the unc/wake/Lou games because who knows if that will be enough.

we are Avg 50 at pitt and are 0-2.. 42 per game the last 3 and 1-2..

if we score 40+ again vs Wake and lose that will really suck.

we also lost 2 tds on balls that were inside the 1 and got fumbled or called back. we should/need to be scoring 35+ in the unc/wake/Lou games because who knows if that will be enough.

we are Avg 50 at pitt and are 0-2.. 42 per game the last 3 and 1-2..

if we score 40+ again vs Wake and lose that will really suck.

not sure with Wake, but 35+ against UNC and Ville should be enough.

We need to keep in mind what a lot of people said when Dino first got here. The style of offense was going the skew the defensive stats because of the extra possessions. Therefore, we can't look at how much scoring was enough in the past or what our opponents are doing against slower teams this year and draw conclusions about how much is enough. That number is going to be higher than what it traditionally was.

We need to score early and have no prolonged dry spells so our defense can play to it's strengths. We need to minimize three and outs so our defense isn't gassed late in the game. It's really that different a story than a number of people were saying here in the offseason.

3 and outs have not been the issue. its not like time of possession has been the issue either. we got gassed because the last drive of the game the D didnt make a 4th down play that would have ended the game with 2 min 2 go

There is only one other time since '59 that the team has averaged this many points a game 6 games into the season, '98 the average 43.8 and the record was 4-2. Finished 8-4

In '96 the average was 39.5 and the record was 4-2., finished 9-3

The highest average through 6 games after those two years was '59, record was 6-0. Finished 11-0

Interesting note, the defense after giving up 21 in the first game, allowed 0,6,6,0, and 0 the following five games.

Averaging 43 pts a game through six games is significant. That is still a high number, good for 14th in the country.

Five out of six with 30 or more points. That's two more than all of last year, same as all of 2016. During Shafer's tenure that was accomplished 9 times in 36 games.

Just another indicator that this team is much more likely to wins with 8 wins than 4.
Problem is we only average 30 versus ACC opponents - one good and one weak.

I doubt we blow out anyone remaining on our schedule.

We are going to have to finish tight games.

I'd be interested in the percentage of 3 and outs in the Dino era. May be blurred by expectations but we seem to be scoring more but seem to have more 3 and out drives as well. I may be totally off base and internally just looking for reasons why our D gasses out.
We probably have significantly more possessions, and we play a riskier type of football. We either win big, or we fail fast.

We desperately need to increase our points per drive (points per game is far less meaningful), and we need to sustain our drives to gas the other defense (vs. our own).

Then, on defense, we need to figure out the run, and thereby keep the pressure on the other defense, gassing them.

did someone just post a stat we were near the top of pts per possession?

More touchdowns, less field goals

did someone just post a stat we were near the top of pts per possession?

Can't find per possession but we're 30th in points per play which is solid.

Your post is nowhere apples-to-apples for comparison. First, this isn't a national title team, and second, McNabb n co. aren't running outta the tunnel. Neither the 96 nor 98 teams played such a weak schedule to open the year (#24UNC, @minn, and #10 Tenn, @#13Mich). Whereas, we've played some of the worst team defenses in the country in WMU, Uconn, and FCS Wagner...

Yes, we can score, but we are also playing against some of the least-talented ACC foes in recent history, as well... i.e. FSU, Lville, Pitt, NC... along with our soft non-conf games to date.

Based on your logic, it's great that we scored 30+ on Pitt... and should account for more wins in future games, cept we gave up 44, and your post fails to take into account that our rushing defense is horrible, and got exposed the past few games.

Until the Dungey issues of late, and our rush D get corrected, this may turn out to be a very underwhelming finish to the year. A year which we need to capitalize on...

does PSUs rush defense suck too since they gave up about the same to pitt as we did.
OSu couldnt rush on them.. clemson sucks running the ball ask Wake (471).

so how bad is our rush D if Pitt gets what they always do and clemson ran it well

uconn/wagner/FSU couldnt run at all except for 1 play. is this based on th WMU game a few plays in one quarter?

maybe it is bad but giving up 250 to pitt/clem doesnt mean its as bad as everyone fears. we are solid in the middle of the NCAA and have played 2 teams that really wanted to run. lets see where it is after Unc/NC st but it could be fine there and then awful vs wake/bc too. the offense cost us the game more than the D especially the clemson game where if the were just solid the 2nd half Clemson never gets the ball to run the last 90 yds and they end up with about 175 for the game and no one would have even mentioned the issue. same for pitt if the offense doesnt sleep for 25 min pitt never gets the chance to try to run

does PSUs rush defense suck too since they gave up about the same to pitt as we did.
OSu couldnt rush on them.. clemson sucks running the ball ask Wake (471).

so how bad is our rush D if Pitt gets what they always do and clemson ran it well

uconn/wagner/FSU couldnt run at all except for 1 play. is this based on th WMU game a few plays in one quarter?

maybe it is bad but giving up 250 to pitt/clem doesnt mean its as bad as everyone fears. we are solid in the middle of the NCAA and have played 2 teams that really wanted to run. lets see where it is after Unc/NC st but it could be fine there and then awful vs wake/bc too. the offense cost us the game more than the D especially the clemson game where if the were just solid the 2nd half Clemson never gets the ball to run the last 90 yds and they end up with about 175 for the game and no one would have even mentioned the issue. same for pitt if the offense doesnt sleep for 25 min pitt never gets the chance to try to run

I go by the eye test... and seeing the last 5-6 quaters of play, our run def has been awful. No sugar coating it. Babers n co. needed this bye week to shore up this problem, for starters.

Your OP is asserting that our scoring is so good, that we will win more... and now, you say that our offense, which scored 30+ on pitt, cost us the game, more than the D. So... which is it?

watched UTAH play ZONA last night and their offense was awesome.

watched UTAH play ZONA last night and their offense was awesome.

Utah’s offense was a mess early on. Last week was their first time reaching 400 yards against FBS.

Guess it shows things can get better as the season wears on.

I go by the eye test... and seeing the last 5-6 quaters of play, our run def has been awful. No sugar coating it. Babers n co. needed this bye week to shore up this problem, for starters.

Your OP is asserting that our scoring is so good, that we will win more... and now, you say that our offense, which scored 30+ on pitt, cost us the game, more than the D. So... which is it?
Our offense is supposed to score quickly and get us ahead to put pressure on the opposing team's offense to score and keep up. Supposed to put them in position to get away from what they normally do well adn pass the ball.

Against Pitt, our O sputtered down the stretch so there was no pressure for Pitt to pass the ball. So they kept running it down our throats on a tired defense. Kept the game close until the end.

If we were up by 14, Pitt doesn't run the ball as much because it runs clock.

Now half the reason we weren't up by 21 in the first and 2nd quarter was the horrific no call on forward progress and 1 big run.

Just my take on the game.

they ran tight bunch sets (espn kept using LA RAM reference) and absolutely shredded the cats.

Our offense is supposed to score quickly and get us ahead to put pressure on the opposing team's offense to score and keep up. Supposed to put them in position to get away from what they normally do well adn pass the ball.

Against Pitt, our O sputtered down the stretch so there was no pressure for Pitt to pass the ball. So they kept running it down our throats on a tired defense. Kept the game close until the end.

If we were up by 14, Pitt doesn't run the ball as much because it runs clock.

Now half the reason we weren't up by 21 in the first and 2nd quarter was the horrific no call on forward progress and 1 big run.

Just my take on the game.
People confused speed with efficiency. Scoring a TD in the first 37 seconds of s game doesn’t put more pressure on the other team than scoring a TD on an opening drive that takes 6 minutes. If anything, it puts marginally less pressure on the other team, as they have more time to match (59:23 vs. 54:00).

What does put pressure on s team, however, is scoring *every* time you get the ball. That’s why points per possession is such a crucial statustic.

Babers has not (yet) produced great offenses at SU. Someone said that we’re #30 in points per play this year (a poor man’s proxy for points per possession), which is decent, but I wouldn’t call #30 “great,” and I think that we were significantly worse in years past. The good news, however, is that we have a lot of young talent, so I expect our ranking to improve for the next couple of years. Then I think you will be right. Unfortunately, we still have a ways to go.

People confused speed with efficiency. Scoring a TD in the first 37 seconds of s game doesn’t put more pressure on the other team than scoring a TD on an opening drive that takes 6 minutes. If anything, it puts marginally less pressure on the other team, as they have more time to match (59:23 vs. 54:00).

What does put pressure on s team, however, is scoring *every* time you get the ball. That’s why points per possession is such a crucial statustic.

Babers has not (yet) produced great offenses at SU. Someone said that we’re #30 in points per play this year (a poor man’s proxy for points per possession), which is decent, but I wouldn’t call #30 “great,” and I think that we were significantly worse in years past. The good news, however, is that we have a lot of young talent, so I expect our ranking to improve for the next couple of years. Then I think you will be right. Unfortunately, we still have a ways to go.

Generally agree. But it’s not just time that matters. *How* you score matters. A short drive provides pressure in that the threat of scoring every time you have the ball is more possible. It’s harder to sustain drives and DCs would rather have lots of chances to stop an offense.

The best offenses are effecient (can move the chains effectively) and explosive (big plays). If you can do those things at tempo, it creates even more pressure on opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom