Scouting the ACC's best NBA Draft prospects | Syracusefan.com

Scouting the ACC's best NBA Draft prospects

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

POTENTIAL 1ST ROUND PROSPECTS
Judah Mintz
, 6-3, FR, G, Syracuse – Mintz finished as the 51st ranked prospect in last year’s 247Sports Composite, but has a significant immediate opportunity in front of him this year. In high school, he was a competitive two-way player who saw the gradual progression of his guard skills. At Syracuse, he’s reportedly going to have an opportunity to play with the ball in his hands, and the early buzz is that the results have been encouraging. Everything would have to go right to be a one-and-done first-rounder, but that outcome isn’t out of the question any longer.

He’s a dynamic prospect for sure and I know it was an extremely small sample size, but if he plays 30-34 minutes a game and only has 1 assist and as someone mentioned in their write-up of the game he didn’t even appear to look to pass the ball on his drives, then I can see the ball being taken out of his hands eventually and given to Copeland.

I think Judah will be very good for us, but he doesn’t appear to be a one and done player. Sure, I’m basing this on one exhibition game, but he definitely needs work on his handle and jump shot. I know he got hot in the second half, but the shot doesn’t look too great. I think there may be some bad shooting games, unless he gets to the rim more. Look, I’m by no means bashing him, but an NBA first round pick? I’m very optimistic for him this season, but there isn’t a natural flow to his game at the PG position, like Flynn(who JAB compared him to).

I think Judah will be very good for us, but he doesn’t appear to be a one and done player. Sure, I’m basing this on one exhibition game, but he definitely needs work on his handle and jump shot. I know he got hot in the second half, but the shot doesn’t look too great. I think there may be some bad shooting games, unless he gets to the rim more. Look, I’m by no means bashing him, but an NBA first round pick? I’m very optimistic for him this season, but there isn’t a natural flow to his game at the PG position, like Flynn(who JAB compared him to).

There is a lot of window dressing with his game as he is unorthodox. That said watch the release on his shot not everything else that is going on. The release is smooth off the finger tips with good rotation. This is what has made him such a good scorer in the mid range. Add the high level athleticism and speed and he is a unique prospect.

There is a lot of window dressing with his game as he is unorthodox. That said watch the release on his shot not everything else that is going on. The release is smooth off the finger tips with good rotation. This is what has made him such a good scorer in the mid range. Add the high level athleticism and speed and he is a unique prospect.

I think he has a nice shot especially his pull up jumper off the dribble. I’m more concerned about him being a distributor which with his slight physique he may have to be in the NBA.

I think he has a nice shot especially his pull up jumper off the dribble. I’m more concerned about him being a distributor which with his slight physique he may have to be in the NBA.

His movement helps him a lot here. I'm not saying he is anywhere near a Trae Young talent wise but as an example of a slighter score first guard you can see where athleticism, skills and movement can offset those short comings.

His movement helps him a lot here. I'm not saying he is anywhere near a Trae Young talent wise but as an example of a slighter score first guard you can see where athleticism, skills and movement can offset those short comings.

Young while a scorer first gets a lot of assists too averaging near 10 per game. That’s what Judah needs to work at.

Young while a scorer first gets a lot of assists too averaging near 10 per game. That’s what Judah needs to work at.

For sure- he will need teammates to be crisp with their screens and building chemistry with good cuts as well. It was just an exhibition but more than a few times they were ball watching vs making themselves a good option. That said yeah he has to build that skillset. His raw skills can get him drafted though in today's NBA if he has a really good year in general.

We have only seen Mintz in his first exhibition game and he seemed to grow and improve during the game. To me one of the keys to this year's Orange is the development of game chemistry between Judah and Joe. We need them BOTH, to win, not monopolizing the ball. Once these two totally trust each other, then we need to blend in Jesse. Let's hope we see progress in building an offensive machine with these three players.

He’s a dynamic prospect for sure and I know it was an extremely small sample size, but if he plays 30-34 minutes a game and only has 1 assist and as someone mentioned in their write-up of the game he didn’t even appear to look to pass the ball on his drives, then I can see the ball being taken out of his hands eventually and given to Copeland.
As if Joe Girard is some distributor

And slide Judah to the starting 2? Sounds good.

Works for me - I’d be sky high for a Copeland/Mintz backcourt next year.

There is no comparison IMHO. I love Judah and think he’ll be an integral part to our team’s success, but Young is much more of a fluid basketball player. Judah can and may be a pro, but seems like he SHOULD be a guy that stays 2 years.

There is no comparison IMHO. I love Judah and think he’ll be an integral part to our team’s success, but Young is much more of a fluid basketball player. Judah can and may be a pro, but seems like he SHOULD be a guy that stays 2 years.

Read my post. My point was about being score first, slight with elite athleticism in relationship to being a pro. It's clear as day why I mentioned Young. Young was a top 5 recruit but his game and build are a bit abstract as well. He had the distributor element as part of his game already- hence being top 5. That said he has to use the quickness and creativity to be what he is at such a small size.

Anyways the larger point is if Judah has a really good year he has tools and potential that make the NBA prospect talk legit. He won't need to average 5 assists a game this year for that to happen.

I mean he ain't Sherman Douglas out there but to his credit Joe has been our best guard at getting the big guys involved on offense as soon as he got on the floor, and it's not close.

Joe is great with the pnr and throwing the lob. He just is poor at being a drive and dish guy which is more common in the college game than a traditional pnr game given how college defenses play.

Read my post. My point was about being score first, slight with elite athleticism in relationship to being a pro. It's clear as day why I mentioned Young. Young was a top 5 recruit but his game and build are a bit abstract as well. He had the distributor element as part of his game already- hence being top 5. That said he has to use the quickness and creativity to be what he is at such a small size.

Anyways the larger point is if Judah has a really good year he has tools and potential that make the NBA prospect talk legit. He won't need to average 5 assists a game this year for that to happen.
Like I said I really think he’s going to be good, but does he truly have ELITE athleticism in comparison to guys all over power 5 conferences? He’s athletic, but would you say he’s like an athletic freak? I mean I’m sure it’s very possible he leaves if he has a good year… I just don’t know see a lottery/first round guy this yr.

Like I said I really think he’s going to be good, but does he truly have ELITE athleticism in comparison to guys all over power 5 conferences? He’s athletic, but would you say he’s like an athletic freak? I mean I’m sure it’s very possible he leaves if he has a good year… I just don’t know see a lottery/first round guy this yr.
I think his first step is pretty ordinary at the college level. He didn’t really beat high school competition with his athleticism as much as his savvy, herky jerky style of play.

I remain high on Judah though. Might take some time for him to bulk up and really make the most of his talents, but he has some rare skills already and from the sound of it (I was not able to watch the exhibition game), he’s a better passer than he showed in that game.

Last edited:
I think his first step is pretty ordinary at the college level. He didn’t really beat high school competition with his athleticism as much as his savvy, herky jerky style of play.

I remain high on Judah though. Might take some time for him to bulk up and really make the most of his talents, but he has some rare skills already and from the sound of it (I was not able to watch the exhibition game), he’s a better passer than he showed in that game.
Go watch his film, lightning fast elite jumper and elite hands.

Go watch his film, lightning fast elite jumper and elite hands.
I’ve watched a lot of his high school games, which showed his relatively average first step. It pops up in Adam Spinella’s scouting report on him as well, which I highly recommend.

I mean he ain't Sherman Douglas out there but to his credit Joe has been our best guard at getting the big guys involved on offense as soon as he got on the floor, and it's not close.
here is my point to be crystal 100% clear. How bout we give mintz more than ONE exhibition game before writing off his potential ability to run the point? is that fair? and the reason i bring up JG is because he's not great at it either so maybe we extend JM a weee bit of lee way here. maybe. just perhaps maybe. not sure. but maybe.