Hofstra / Vermont and Yale Scrimmages | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hofstra / Vermont and Yale Scrimmages

some things of note: Lipka didn't play in scrimmages due to a "minor ailment" Jack Kennedy is out for the season with upper body injury occurred weeks ago in practice. Phaup won 4 of 6 face-offs against Hofstra, 4-8 against Vermont.

Griffin Cook grabs opening at attack for Syracuse lacrosse

Good tidbits from that article. Confirms what Ivory said about Jack Kennedy being out for the year. Also Lipka has a minor injury and didnt play. Phaup was 8 for 14 in the two games and should be the main guy for us. Article also noted that Rosa played in both games. Second line was Buttermore A.Kim and Quinn.

JHU away will be a tough game. It's JHU after all. Leaving Baltimore with win and life be rewarding.

Optimistic but no road game will be a breeze.

Albany has talents and will be sky high playing to a sellout of crazed fans

Rutgers O has torched us last two years, that annoying train horn still rings in ears from two years ago.

Hopkins scrimmaged Marquette and Richmond this past Saturday. With a new look D they apparently held up well winning both scrimmages. Epstein didn't play so two younger guys got run with Cole Williams. Looks like Fory Smith may stay at midfield for the Jays. There young Soph Zinn who has a similar look to Curry had 3 goals, fanbase thought he should have played more last year. Darby was again in goal with mixed results. Jays should have enough offensively but D is a major question mark along with whatever injury Epstein is dealing with.

Rutty lost to Villanoa in a scrimmage, was apparently 14-8 through three quarters with mostly starters on both teams. Rutty's major issues are at the X and on Defense. Like Hop they should have a very good offense assuming guys stay healthy.

Defensive midfielder Dami Oladunmoye and midfielder David Lipka both didn’t dress for the scrimmages. Lipka, who’s battling an injury Syracuse head coach John Dekso didn’t disclose, should be fine come the start of the season, Desko said. Lipka might play in Sunday’s scrimmage against Yale while Oladunmoye will be fine, per Dekso. Oldaunmoye sat out due to illness.

Funny I posted this earlier and it turned into the Navy recap.
Thanks for resubmitting.

Gonna assume Curry and Dordevic get poled .Whoever gets a short stick has the talent to flourish and make defenses pay, whether it be Cook, Trimboli, Refhuss or any other . That is what makes this offense difficult to defend. Some young mids hit scoreboard, their time will come.
You were right on Kennedy usage though not a fan of jockeying a AA talent around. Helmer and him on field together makes sense . DiPietro a mobile wide body. Some inexperience to iron out but athletic group of defenders that can give different looks. Analytics at play? Relieved on Dami and Lipka as both integral despite depth behind. Team health always key factor, keep em fresh.

IL's links are messed up lately. You're almost better off just posting the tweet instead.
They rolled out the "infinite scroll" feature where a new article loads as you scroll through the current article. It's terrible for linking.

They rolled out the "infinite scroll" feature where a new article loads as you scroll through the current article. It's terrible for linking.

Click on the article you want.
Scroll down to the next article.
Scroll back up to the article you wanted in the 1st place.

Can't ask for much more from a scrimmage performance. Very impressive offensive numbers and contributions seem to come from everywhere. The leading scorer against Hofstra was a second line middie. Defensive performance sounds like it was very good as well, and while I would like higher face-off numbers it makes the defense look that much better. FWIW 'Cuse defeated Hofstra 12-5 last year and tied Vermont 11-11 which led to a bit of consternation from us. It sounds like Vermont kept their starters in for the 3rd quarter this go around which makes the second game look better.

My biggest takeaway is the starting lineup on D. A week ago we were led to believe that Helmer will be a starter at close, and now it looks like maybe that won't be the case. Moving Kennedy down isn't the worst idea, especially if you think he'll be moved down there anyway next year. I still can't help but think most teams their top two players are split between attack and midfield. I can't help but think Kennedy won't be matched up against the opposing teams second option, but rather the third. Desko seems open to mixing and matching, but for the sake of consistency and unity, it seems best to keep the same unit together for as much as possible? Plus I am a little nervous of Fernandez and/or Helmer being the number one options at LSM.

Cook keeps producing which is great to see. It's a lot of pressure not to be the "weak link" on this offense but its looking more and more like he will be a strength. Just hope it carries over to the regular season. And just watching a few clips from that highlight video from Citrus TV, but Dordevic looks like a different player - just a lot more physicality and it appears he added a good amount of muscle. Very excited to see him unleashed this year. Lastly - I'm not concerned about Scanlan - if he's not scoring he's still taking attention away from the defense. He might not exceed last year's point total but he definitely makes this year's Orange better. If he's keeping a long stick off Curry or Dordevic, but those guys are still producing, then it's all good. And you better believe if a team tries to short stick him, he will put up a lot points.

Can't ask for much more from a scrimmage performance. Very impressive offensive numbers and contributions seem to come from everywhere. The leading scorer against Hofstra was a second line middie. Defensive performance sounds like it was very good as well, and while I would like higher face-off numbers it makes the defense look that much better. FWIW 'Cuse defeated Hofstra 12-5 last year and tied Vermont 11-11 which led to a bit of consternation from us. It sounds like Vermont kept their starters in for the 3rd quarter this go around which makes the second game look better.

My biggest takeaway is the starting lineup on D. A week ago we were led to believe that Helmer will be a starter at close, and now it looks like maybe that won't be the case. Moving Kennedy down isn't the worst idea, especially if you think he'll be moved down there anyway next year. I still can't help but think most teams their top two players are split between attack and midfield. I can't help but think Kennedy won't be matched up against the opposing teams second option, but rather the third. Desko seems open to mixing and matching, but for the sake of consistency and unity, it seems best to keep the same unit together for as much as possible? Plus I am a little nervous of Fernandez and/or Helmer being the number one options at LSM.

Cook keeps producing which is great to see. It's a lot of pressure not to be the "weak link" on this offense but its looking more and more like he will be a strength. Just hope it carries over to the regular season. And just watching a few clips from that highlight video from Citrus TV, but Dordevic looks like a different player - just a lot more physicality and it appears he added a good amount of muscle. Very excited to see him unleashed this year. Lastly - I'm not concerned about Scanlan - if he's not scoring he's still taking attention away from the defense. He might not exceed last year's point total but he definitely makes this year's Orange better. If he's keeping a long stick off Curry or Dordevic, but those guys are still producing, then it's all good. And you better believe if a team tries to short stick him, he will put up a lot points.
Agreed.

I keep going back to SSDM. If DiPietro is a solid starter, then I hope Murphy is back at SSDM. Losing him and Helmer from SSDM would be kinda rough.

Really good article on Phaup. I also think he was right in that once he started to struggle in the UNC and Loyola games the wheels came off for the rest of the team. Certainly he is not at fault for the losses but he's a huge part of the team and when he struggles we tend to struggle with some exceptions of course.

I thought he ran into the Freshmen wall last year as he only played in one game his true frosh year (2 years ago) and I think he was just worn out by the end of the season. A full year under his belt and over a 60% winning % is a great place to start. I think Varello being a little more consistent in his Sr year would help as well. He seems to be either on or completely off in games. Would be nice if he could find a middle ground when he's not winning a majority of the draws. I think Garlow is strictly the emergency guy at this point if were just getting dominated by somebody and we wanna try something different. The two true frosh are definitely red-shirting and probably wont play barring major injury issues.

Sorry to see Kennedy at close. I believe he functions best when he's instinctive all over the field and coming off the wing. He's not McCabe but he's a McCabe like player. McCabe could play close and still effect the opposition all over the field. He was unique. Close defense discipline and coordination are fundamental. Kennedy is capable there, but more valuable at LSM. Yale exposed SU last year. Look forward to next Sunday's scrimmage.

Sorry to see Kennedy at close. I believe he functions best when he's instinctive all over the field and coming off the wing. He's not McCabe but he's a McCabe like player. McCabe could play close and still effect the opposition all over the field. He was unique. Close defense discipline and coordination are fundamental. Kennedy is capable there, but more valuable at LSM. Yale exposed SU last year. Look forward to next Sunday's scrimmage.
Agree

Injury/redshirt notes
– Scanlan iced his foot after the Vermont scrimmage and looked to be walking with a slight limp throughout. He was not available to the media after the game, but a team official said Scanlan’s foot isn’t a major concern moving forward.
– Dami Oladunmoye did not play in either scrimmage with an illness, but he has regained academic eligibility after losing all of 2019. Desko said Oladunmoye should be back for the opener against Colgate.
– David Lipka didn’t play with an undisclosed injury, but Desko said he expects Lipka back for the opener.
– Jack Kennedy is out, likely for the season, with an upper body injury.
– Per Desko, freshmen faceoff men Gavin Kline and Luke Talago will likely redshirt.

I think Sunday is going to tell us a lot. Yale is pretty loaded once again with a Sr heavy lineup on both sides of the ball. They do appear somewhat weak at Midfield from what I can tell and maybe at SSDM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom