Sean McDonough will do play by play for SU/Clemson game | Syracusefan.com

Sean McDonough will do play by play for SU/Clemson game

Syracuse alumnus Sean McDonough will do play-by-play for the Syracuse-Clemson football game on Sept. 14, one that seems destined to be one of the most anticipated SU football games in decades and could earn a visit from ESPN’s College GameDay program.

McDonough will be announcing the game, in part, because he will be on Syracuse’s campus receiving the George Arents Award, which is the highest alumni honor at Syracuse University and recognizes alumni who have made outstanding contributions to their professions.

Because of the prestige of the award to Syracuse, McDonough said it was important to attend the Friday award ceremony in person. His bosses at ESPN made his weekend a little easier, and a little more special, by allowing McDonough to stick around to broadcast the game as well.

I may still try to make it to the (name redacted) Dome for this game, but -

IF I do end up watching it on TV, I'm thrilled that it won't be a Clempsum slurp-fest now from the announcers.

Sean McD rules!!! :cool:

I may still try to make it to the (name redacted) Dome for this game, but -

IF I do end up watching it on TV, I'm thrilled that it won't be a Clempsum slurp-fest now from the announcers.

Sean McD rules!!! :cool:
Love that “name redacted” bit. Also like it when commentators say the Carrier name has been “scrubbed“ or “expunged” from the record. So much legalese. Kind a like an Austin Powers movie when he refers to same sex partnering as “the love that dare not speak its name.“

Watching from home, thankful for this little gift. SU is packing a LOT into that weekend!

There may be some truth here, I was told. If Herbie does GameDay (and he always does), he’d have to do a game on ABC with Fowler, and our game would have to be bumped to ESPN. Awarding McDonough that Friday May have cost us GameDay. We’ll see.

ESPN may want Iowa vs Iowa State. Guess we shall see

There may be some truth here, I was told. If Herbie does GameDay (and he always does), he’d have to do a game on ABC with Fowler, and our game would have to be bumped to ESPN. Awarding McDonough that Friday May have cost us GameDay. We’ll see.

Gameday and ABC prime time are not synonymous so I’m not sure why that makes any difference.

Wonder what the last game was that fowler and Herbie didn’t do together after gameday ...

Herbstreit always does the ABC sat night game. Does that mean he's going to be working with Sean?

I can’t see how they won’t come to Syracuse this year full stop. This game provides the most storylines. If what prevents it is an employee who is a top play by play guy getting a high honor at the school, then the entire thing is completely foolish.

Honestly I’ve been thinking about it and does it really matter if we get gameday? We already have so much going on won’t it just get lost in the sauce?

Gameday and ABC prime time are not synonymous so I’m not sure why that makes any difference.

Nothing against Sean, who's as good as they come, but I was hoping we'd get Fowler/Herby for the game.

Those two often do a different game from gameday. But since we're the prime time game that they typically do, they might pull a 3:30 slot to stay on ABC. Which allows less time for Herby's travel. They would have to do something nearby, like say PSU vs Pitt.

Nothing against Sean, who's as good as they come, but I was hoping we'd get Fowler/Herby for the game.

Those two often do a different game from gameday. But since we're the prime time game that they typically do, they might pull a 3:30 slot to stay on ABC. Which allows less time for Herby's travel. They would have to do something nearby, like say PSU vs Pitt.

Which would lead to the ask, would they just do Gameday from PSU - Pitt. ...

Honestly I’ve been thinking about it and does it really matter if we get gameday? We already have so much going on won’t it just get lost in the sauce?

Agree. I think that its become almost an honor thing among SU fans at this point. We are already the premiere primetime game, and no game day would actually make things logistically easier. I still want it, but I also dont believe its a dealbreaker to an epic weekend. I literally havent watched GameDay in years.

So stupid if Sean McDonough doing the Clemson game costs us Gameday.

I will legit turn on the guy if because his bosses making his weekend easier cost us the Gameday slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom