Sean Tucker Should be Awarded Number... (a modest proposal) | Syracusefan.com

Sean Tucker Should be Awarded Number... (a modest proposal)

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
#47 in honor of Joe Morris.
This bestowal could work at a few levels:
1. Honoring both Sean Tucker and Joe Morris by issuing him the number of Syracuse's all-time leading rusher - 4299 yards.
2. Obviate the need for distracting/unproductive #44 retirement discussions. Think of it as an end run around the issue. How appropriate.
3. At first glance, Sean Tucker is similar in build and temperament to Joe Morris. Low slung, shifty. He's also soft-spoken and gentlemanly.
4. Bring back Joe "the Ayer Jet" Morris for an in game ceremony.

It's just a modest sports idea, but it seems a good fit by acknowledging Sean and honoring Joe. We might have to pry #47 from Maximilian Mang's considerable uniform to accomplish this. I see #46 is available. If he agreed we could say to Mr. Mang, "Thanks a million, Maximillian."

I appreciate the effort here and knowing Joe Morris wore #47 could be something to build on. If it were something initiated by the players then it's something that could build over time but I don't think awarding or offering someone the opportunity to wear #47 would do much. That kind of respect needs to be earned through time and multiple successes.

However, this is Syracuse and no number (#22 Lax withstanding) means as much as #44.

An alternative to your alternative but keeping with #44:
  • Create a #44 selection committee (maybe this existed) - #44 legends/alumni, coaches, captains, etc.
  • Put some parameters around how/when #44 can be offered - (these are only examples)
    • Lead team in running yardage for X period of time (1 yr, 2 yrs?)
    • Have at least one 1,000 yard rushing season
    • Completed 1-2 seasons at Syracuse (avoids transfers and requires loyalty, etc.)
    • Academic standing
    • Public service requirements...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom