Seattle. | Syracusefan.com

Seattle.

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Wife and I are going to spend a week in Seattle late May/early June. What are some of the must see places, foods, etc?

I was there last Spring for a few days. I wasn't impressed with the city. Pikes place is a must, but it was pretty underwhelming to me.

There are some good seafood places to check out there.

The Pop Culture museum is really cool. The Museum of Flight has some cool displays as well and I definitely recommend that.

Canlis was a really great restaurant. Fancy without being stuffy. Gorgeous dining room. The food wasn't memorable, but the experience is something I'll never forget. I even got a tour of the whole restaurant after meeting Peter Canlis there.

Unicorn Jizz at Narwahl. Will either love or hate the place depending on what your sense of humor.

Wife and I are going to spend a week in Seattle late May/early June. What are some of the must see places, foods, etc?
Hi Orange stranger,
Visited recently with my son and we had a blast. We got a tour of the Safeco baseball field. There is a gargantuan Ferris wheel overlooking the sound that’s worthwhile. The space needle may sound corny but we had dinner up at the top while it was spinning and the views were astonishing. There’s also a Chihuly glass museum display at the space needle complex along with the Jimi Hendrix museum. I can’t recommend the Boeing airplane museum enough. Truly astounding. Both the indoor displays and the full-size outdoor displays. A must. Also there’s an underground tour that discusses the less savory but definitely interesting side of Seattle and it’s founding. I don’t know if they’re still giving duck tours but we enjoyed that too. We did all this without an automobile we Uber’d and Airbnb’d. We booked a seaplane tour which would’ve been great to fly over the sound but the weather didn’t cooperate so they canceled it. That is all. Have fun.

Seattle is great (IMO). Lots of good food & music. But... if your schedule permits, I suggest getting out into the San Juan Islands. There are some great experiences. My favorite is the Doe Bay Resort on Orcas Island. Very relaxing. Good hiking & views.

I absolutely love Seattle. I don't think there's any other city in the country that more perfectly blends urban and nature.

I absolutely love Seattle. I don't think there's any other city in the country that more perfectly blends urban and nature.

In doing some research about it, I am struck by that as well. It's one of those places that I've always wanted to visit that just exudes "coolness" in my mind. The fact that there's so much to see in terms of nature/hiking, etc is just an added bonus.

Hi Orange stranger,
Visited recently with my son and we had a blast. We got a tour of the Safeco baseball field. There is a gargantuan Ferris wheel overlooking the sound that’s worthwhile. The space needle may sound corny but we had dinner up at the top while it was spinning and the views were astonishing. There’s also a Chihuly glass museum display at the space needle complex along with the Jimi Hendrix museum. I can’t recommend the Boeing airplane museum enough. Truly astounding. Both the indoor displays and the full-size outdoor displays. A must. Also there’s an underground tour that discusses the less savory but definitely interesting side of Seattle and it’s founding. I don’t know if they’re still giving duck tours but we enjoyed that too. We did all this without an automobile we Uber’d and Airbnb’d. We booked a seaplane tour which would’ve been great to fly over the sound but the weather didn’t cooperate so they canceled it. That is all. Have fun.

Thanks for that. A lot of what you posted I saw as well, and looks great. I definitely want to go to the Boeing airplane museum. Is that outside the city with their plant? Also pumped to go to a Mariners game. The Angels are in town that weekend. Mike TROUT!! Is the Jimi Hendrix museum the same thing as the pop culture museum?

Here’s a Boeing Museum of Flight link:
Home | The Museum of Flight
Don’t forget, the museum sprawls from outdoor hangar on one side of the street to indoor vignette-themed museum across the street. It’s south of town and not up at the manufacturing plant in Renton.
Yes the Jimi Hendrix and the museum of pop are one in the same.
Have fun.

Lived there for two years. If you want restaurant advice, let me know. I can get you some great places to eat at.

Definitely take a ferry ride. Bainbridge is a half hour and Bremerton is an hour. Found this description of Bremerton...

Seattle to Bremerton, WA. You cruise past Bainbridge Island and into Rich Passage before docking in downtown Bremerton next to some classic U.S. Navy vessels. Roam the island a bit, then time your eastbound return across Puget Sound for dusk―the sun setting over the Olympics turns Seattle skyscrapers into molten gold. The one-hour trip runs daily.
FARE: Passengers (round-trip) $6.10, $3 ages 65 and over, $4.90 ages 5–17; vehicle and driver $13.30, $11.75 ages 65 and over.

Check out the University of Washington. I think that the area near the campus is fairly interesting especially the football stadium. Say hello to Mike Hopkins as the basketball arena is right next to it. I am a nerd who likes seeing college campuses when I travel and feel like this one is underappreciated. Huge library and interesting quad. Some cool neighborhoods near by for lunch. As others have mentioned can be a homeless issue near by so go during the day.

I agree with others that the museum of flight is a good stop. Also if you can fit it in during the week. Going to the active Boeing plant and taking a tour is worth it. The catch is that it is 25 miles north of Seattle. It is a huge building absolutely worth it in my opinion. Boeing Tour Tickets - Future of Flight - 30m North of Seattle

Lived there for two years. If you want restaurant advice, let me know. I can get you some great places to eat at.

Yes! Absolutely. We’ll be staying in the central district. Any recommendations for vegetarians? My wife is vegetarian. I also love seafood and we both love ramen.

Yes! Absolutely. We’ll be staying in the central district. Any recommendations for vegetarians? My wife is vegetarian. I also love seafood and we both love ramen.

I’ll DM you.

There are great parts of the Central District, and some to stay away from. 23rd and Jackson comes to mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom