SEC Network | Syracusefan.com

SEC Network

The B1G network is the only truly "stand alone" network of all the conference networks. All others appear to be an extention of one (or more) existing networks.

Not sure what to think of that. Is it beneficial to be a stand alone entity, or is it better to be affiliated with ESPN?

The B1G network is the only truly "stand alone" network of all the conference networks. All others appear to be an extention of one (or more) existing networks.

Not sure what to think of that. Is it beneficial to be a stand alone entity, or is it better to be affiliated with ESPN?

My guess? Stand alone is more control, less stability, more oversight responsibilities. Affiliation would mean less control, more stability, less oversight responsibility.

My guess? Stand alone is more control, less stability, more oversight responsibilities. Affiliation would mean less control, more stability, less oversight responsibility.
I'd go with having someone who has been there, done that! More resources, footage etc

It goes both ways.

How many of you knew the Mountain West had a network?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...annel-shutting-down-may-31-cbs-sports-network

They were a good network. But, being on their own, it was a constant struggle to get into cable packages. Thus, no viewership. Thus, no money. Thus, shut down.

For those who watch on other avenues (i.e. other collegiate streams), I will guarantee the first place people go is ESPN3, then cstv.com, then the conference websites.

For me, given the success of ESPN3 and WatchESPN (and don't forget to factor in the next-gen video game systems, where I know ESPN3 is already available on Xbox), it is better to reach a partnership with them then go out on your own. Anyone think the Longhorn Network would still be around without ESPN?

ESPN is truly the Evil Empire.

It goes both ways.

How many of you knew the Mountain West had a network?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...annel-shutting-down-may-31-cbs-sports-network

They were a good network. But, being on their own, it was a constant struggle to get into cable packages. Thus, no viewership. Thus, no money. Thus, shut down.

For those who watch on other avenues (i.e. other collegiate streams), I will guarantee the first place people go is ESPN3, then cstv.com, then the conference websites.

For me, given the success of ESPN3 and WatchESPN (and don't forget to factor in the next-gen video game systems, where I know ESPN3 is already available on Xbox), it is better to reach a partnership with them then go out on your own. Anyone think the Longhorn Network would still be around without ESPN?

ESPN is truly the Evil Empire.

I think that big conference could survive on their own but lack the filler content during the many off hours.

I'd go with having someone who has been there, done that! More resources, footage etc

Exactly. I think you make sure you get the best deal you can - take advantage of ESPN while maintaining as much leverage as possible.

Fox has a 51% ownership stake in BTN and manages ad sales and affiliate distribution. So it's not "stand alone".

Notice the similarities between idea for SEC network and existing LHN network both 20 years.

Fox has a 51% ownership stake in BTN and manages ad sales and affiliate distribution. So it's not "stand alone".

So just like the SEC network except the 51% ownership stake belongs to ESPN? One other similarity: I'm not interested in paying a single penny to get either one. The only tier 3 crap I care about is Syracuse vs. Wagner and the only conference week in review talk shows I care about any more involves the ACC.

So just like the SEC network except the 51% ownership stake belongs to ESPN? One other similarity: I'm not interested in paying a single penny to get either one. The only tier 3 crap I care about is Syracuse vs. Wagner and the only conference week in review talk shows I care about any more involves the ACC.

To me - that's the overlooked thing - most fans are fans of specific teams, not conferences and not CFB as a whole. The assumption that because I love Syracuse FB, I'd be interested I the BTN is laughable. I don't watch much outside of SU games - but I see all the games, sometimes twice.

NFL - I have a team AND I watch whatever's on.

August 2014 is when they are up and running as of now.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sec-network-launch-august-2014-already-distribution-questions-170520278.html[/quote]

some info on sec network:
ESPN will own the SEC channel and will share profits 50-50 with the conference, industry sources said.

The SEC’s TV package with CBS will not change. CBS, with its annual 14-game package, retains the first pick each week. That leaves about 90 football games annually, with half going to the SEC Network and the other half running on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, lowering the number of SEC games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU from about 80 each season to 45.(more acc games on espn 2 and u?)

Two SEC games per season will be played on Thursday nights

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/05/06/Media/ACC-network.aspx?app_data={"pi":"35762_1367848957_1291478155","pt":"twitter"}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom