SEC SEC | Syracusefan.com

SEC SEC

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Wyoming destroying Missouri currently.

UNC beats South Carolina

Ole Miss loses to Memphis

Tennessee loses to Georgia State

Teams like Miss St and Arkansas barely escaped against bad teams.

They’re still the best league with Bama, UGA, LSU, A&M and Florida, but spare me the “gauntlet” stuff.

Wyoming destroying Missouri currently.

UNC beats South Carolina

Ole Miss loses to Memphis

Tennessee loses to Georgia State

Teams like Miss St and Arkansas barely escaped against bad teams.

They’re still the best league with Bama, UGA, LSU, A&M and Florida, but spare me the “gauntlet” stuff.
Yes, and Alabama is playing a non conference lineup of Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and freakin...West Carolina, cause they have such a gauntlet to go through. They have SC, who lost to UNC, Miss, Arkansas and Mighty Tennessee, spare me.

This is Alabama, much, much more talented and deep than all but 1 or 2 teams in the nation, and they play cupcakes. Actually reading this schedule made me respect ND a bit more, at least they travel to real opponents.

The middle to bottom of the league has fallen off teams like ole miss and msu aren't as good.

"The SEC only plays their 2nd and 3rd string OOC until SEC conference games. They are just disinterested in OOC games and any bowl game they lose as they don't matter." Finebaum

3 elite teams (UGA, Bama, LSU)

3 good teams (A&M, Auburn, UF)

After that, it’s a lot of mediocre to bad football.

I’ve heard South Carolina fans say they’d be one of the best teams in the ACC. They’ve now lost two in a row to ACC teams (UVA & UNC).

I’ve heard South Carolina fans say they’d be one of the best teams in the ACC. They’ve now lost two in a row to ACC teams (UVA & UNC).

So, they'd suck even in the Coastal division then. :p

Bottom of the league looked pretty bad this week. As of now looks like top 6 of the SEC is considerably better than the top 6 of any other league though which is material when talking about how many challenges the playoff contenders will face in chasing a championship relative to schools in other conferences.

LSU/UT and UGA/ND will be interesting to see if the top tier is overhyped or not.

Bottom of the league looked pretty bad this week. As of now looks like top 6 of the SEC is considerably better than the top 6 of any other league though which is material when talking about how many challenges the playoff contenders will face in chasing a championship relative to schools in other conferences.

LSU/UT and UGA/ND will be interesting to see if the top tier is overhyped or not.
Nobody should dispute that. SEC is still the best league due to the top 6 teams.

The point is, every week is not a gauntlet. Look at Bama’s schedule. There’s 9 games that we would expect to win, at a minimum, heading into the season.

Nobody should dispute that. SEC is still the best league due to the top 6 teams.

The point is, every week is not a gauntlet. Look at Bama’s schedule. There’s 9 games that we would expect to win, at a minimum, heading into the season.

That’s fair. Each year is different and this year SEC is not a gauntlet week in and week out.

For the CFP contenders I think it’s more relevant to see how many “tests” are on your schedule. And if we look at us playing Bama’s schedule and the “tests” we’d have to win to get to the playoff or NY6 it’s @A&M, @Auburn, LSU home and probably UGA in Atlanta. At worst Bama can go 3-1 or they’re knocked out of the playoff. I’m not confident we could go 3-1 through that. Or do the same with LSU, A&M, UGA, UF, Auburn schedule and see who has the easier playoff or NY6 path, us or one of them?

That’s fair. Each year is different and this year SEC is not a gauntlet week in and week out.

For the CFP contenders I think it’s more relevant to see how many “tests” are on your schedule. And if we look at us playing Bama’s schedule and the “tests” we’d have to win to get to the playoff or NY6 it’s @A&M, @Auburn, LSU home and probably UGA in Atlanta. At worst Bama can go 3-1 or they’re knocked out of the playoff. I’m not confident we could go 3-1 through that. Or do the same with LSU, A&M, UGA, UF, Auburn schedule and see who has the easier playoff or NY6 path, us or one of them?
Clearly them. Which is why the SEC is still the best league.

I don’t think anyone here is saying they’re not.

The part everyone disputes, and have been disputing for a while, is that the league is inflated. It’s not a gauntlet every week like the talking heads of the SECN love to say. Far from it.

They have a point, given the many ACC championships that they won while in the ACC.

...and it’s not like the ACC got harder to win with the addition of FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and Louisville...

Havent seen it posted yet, so let me undercut this before fire catches.

South Carolina fans/alums want Dino at the top of the list to be hired.

Ain’t happening, enjoy the bottom of the SEC. Buyout would be unreasonable for a non-powerhouse anyways.

Yes, and Alabama is playing a non conference lineup of Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and freakin...West Carolina, cause they have such a gauntlet to go through. They have SC, who lost to UNC, Miss, Arkansas and Mighty Tennessee, spare me.

This is Alabama, much, much more talented and deep than all but 1 or 2 teams in the nation, and they play cupcakes. Actually reading this schedule made me respect ND a bit more, at least they travel to real opponents.
Too be fair, Alabama frequently plays a ranked P5 team in week 1 or 2 most years. Since 2010 they've had USC, Wisconsin, Michigan, Virginia Tech, and Penn St that were all ranked for their first or second game. They also had WVU and Louisville that were probably both anticipated to be ranked teams when the games were scheduled. A lot of SEC teams feast on creampuffs OOC. Alabama usually doesn't.

Too be fair, Alabama frequently plays a ranked P5 team in week 1 or 2 most years. Since 2010 they've had USC, Wisconsin, Michigan, Virginia Tech, and Penn St that were all ranked for their first or second game. They also had WVU and Louisville that were probably both anticipated to be ranked teams when the games were scheduled. A lot of SEC teams feast on creampuffs OOC. Alabama usually doesn't.

No they usually have one ranked OOC and a bunch of creampuffs

Ummm, that's no different than what I said.

Consistently playing one ranked OOC opponent to open the year is better than what most do. Please stop making me defend the SEC. I don't like it.

If nix plays like he did in the 2nd half you can move Auburn to elite.

Almost...they play 1 Big 5 OOC at a "neutral" site and 3 creampuffs. Ironically they played Louisville and Duke AFTER their star QB's graduated. Crazy like a fox they are.

Ummm, that's no different than what I said.

Consistently playing one ranked OOC opponent to open the year is better than what most do. Please stop making me defend the SEC. I don't like it.

I hear ya. I was just thinking about Clemson - they usually play one ranked OOC and South Carolina plus the ACC - and seem to get the same amount of credit.

But no worries - I don’t need any more SEC defending

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom