Seeds don’t mattet | Syracusefan.com

Seeds don’t mattet

Cuseball

Starter
I know it would be better to have the high seed and avoid the worry but come tournament time the seeds really don’t matter (unless you are a 1 seed). Once you get into the 2nd round, which we always do, it’s all similar matchups. Play well, make your shots and value possessions and you advance. We are in the same position as every other team right now regardless of seed. 5 more wins for the title!

Love March Madness!

i said this in another thread. other than 1-16 and 2-15 (and thats not even a guarantee anymore), every other game is basically an 8-9 game. youre not gonna see any blowouts other than the top 2 seeds. and an occasional 11 blowing out a 6 :)

i said this in another thread. other than 1-16 and 2-15 (and thats not even a guarantee anymore), every other game is basically an 8-9 game. youre not gonna see any blowouts other than the top 2 seeds. and an occasional 11 blowing out a 6 :)

True. Once you get to 3-14 the point spreads go from the 20s to single digits.

But avoiding 8-9 is key even if it means being on the bubble and risking a playin or left out. Honestly if we won the ACCT we would have been an 8-9 seed and likely gotten GT or UNC's opponents.

Loyola and Wisconsin would not have been easy games and if you win you get a 1 seed next.

2 years ago we had Baylor in the 8-9 and if we won I loved us to shock the Zags to keep it rolling from 2016. But that Baylor team we played was better than anyone thought and have dominated the sport the 2 seasons since. So have the Zags for that matter.

The seeds that matter the most are the 8-9 seeds -- in that nobody wants them.
Avoid those seeds and your team should be just happy wherever it is place as seeds will not matter too much.

Seeds absolutely matter. Yes parity is better but over 72% of final four participants are top 3 seeds and 88% of the champions are top 3 seeds. Generally the higher seeds win. Yes their are always upsets, but it does not mean it is the norm.

I know it would be better to have the high seed and avoid the worry but come tournament time the seeds really don’t matter (unless you are a 1 seed). Once you get into the 2nd round, which we always do, it’s all similar matchups. Play well, make your shots and value possessions and you advance. We are in the same position as every other team right now regardless of seed. 5 more wins for the title!

Love March Madness!
What are 1 seeds winning percentage throughout the tournament?

Seeds matter. Don't be tricked by anecdotal observations.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 2.56.02 PM.png

In a year where everyone plays less games, the data is less sure. They still matter, just more volatility
exactly. historical seeding practices havent been constant, either. the quad system is more volatile than past iterations.

and the top of the NCAA separates itself from the pack differently each year...some years there are a few monster squads that no one can touch...sometime the top ten or so is a clear cut above. etc.

Michigan is without their top player. amuch different team. Illinios is gone. Baylor is coming off a recent covid pause...this whole tourney is a special case. wide open...like the beavers of oregon state...have a legit chance, jor just one example...

I think this year is a special case where seeds mattet least ever.

Seeds, much like stars in recruiting rankings, matter.
But there was that one time our 3 star football recruit ended up better than Bama's 5 star, so honestly do the rankings even mean anything?

It matters, just not for Loyola apparently. They must live in a bizarro world where they get the silly low seeding and Danny Hurley is considered a class guy beloved by all fan bases

Love March Madness!
This season, probably covid had something to do with it but there is so much parity in college basketball this season and possibly from here on out because of some of the top players not going to college again That this will probably continue. ON another note the Big 12 is definitely the best conference this season. The ACC WILL BE BACK

i agree with OP...seeds dont mattet.

But if you get Gonzaga or Baylor it is totally covfefed.

Well in fairness to me, I was a little drunk when posting and spelling.

However, my point was that it didn’t matter if Cuse got a 6 or 11 seed. We have the same exact path to a title.

Agree it’s better to get a 1 seed but you have to beat the same teams eventually.

Who cares anyway?

Cuse!

in general...over time they do...

but specifically, they dont...not in a blanket fashion. especially this wacked out year.

now its more about matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom