self indulgent LEACH post | Syracusefan.com

self indulgent LEACH post

Millhouse

Living Legend
I can't believe how old I am

He wasn't even at Kentucky in 1999, he'd already gone off to Oklahoma and of course they ended up being awesome with him

I was jealous of that Mumme offense and people on whatever board we were on at that time thought that it was because Dusty Bonner was a special talent. The guy had no arm whatsoever. Mumme was smart enough to let us score in order to get a chance to tie it up rather than let us run out the clock. There was a big debate about that strategy back then. Now there's no debate, teams know to get down and not score. It took twenty years for everyone to catch up

Leach understood tradeoffs. You can't be great at everything unless you're at the top of the recruiting food chain. Given real life constraints, everything he did was about bang for the buck. Passing is better than rushing, so he focused on that. He ran a small number of plays and drilled them relentlessly. Why have receivers run routes in practice where they're not catching the ball? Why have QBs standing around not throwing it. Go five wide, 5 qbs, footballs flying everywhere. Did it mean they didn't run the ball well or weren't that well prepared on defense to face every type of offense? Yes. But he was so damn successful that everyone had to start imitating him to keep up on offense.

He reminds me a lot of Boeheim. Obvious high intelligence. So smart that they weren't concerned with meatheaded quasi religiousness about the right way to do things. No one admits it but the zone and the air raid offend tough guy sensibilities. It's not the manly way - it's weak and soft and gimmicky. Leach and Boeheim aren't ape tough guys and they are ( crap ... were) arrogant enough to not care. Practice time is precious. If you can get more out of it by not worrying so much about man to man defense or not being multiple asking players to do more than can be reasonably expected, screw it, don't do it. Why set yourself up to fail if your tight ends can't do it? That should be expected, plan around not having them.

What's easier for a qb, putting a guy way the hell over there and bringing a defender over, or bringing that guy in and bringing a defender in? Well, duh, it's easier to see and read if there are fewer angry monsters in your face

Most meatheads think there is a right way to do things and you win by working harder. sleepless nights, work work work. Leach stepped back and alloted time efficiently.

Syracuse would've been the perfect place for the air raid in the twenty years where the meathead quasi cult had a leg to stand on. Now everyone runs it and we're trying it somewhat too but we were way too late.

Last edited:

He wasn't even at Kentucky in 1999, he'd already gone off to Oklahoma and of course they ended up being awesome with him

I was jealous of that Mumme offense and people on whatever board we were on at that time thought that it was because Dusty Bonner was a special talent. The guy had no arm whatsoever. Mumme was smart enough to let us score in order to get a chance to tie it up rather than let us run out the clock. There was a big debate about that strategy back then. Now there's no debate, teams know to get down and not score. It took twenty years for everyone to catch up

Leach understood tradeoffs. You can't be great at everything unless you at the top of the recruiting food chain. Given real life constraints, everything he did was about bang for the buck. Passing is better than rushing, so he focused on that. He ran a small number of plays and drilled them relentlessly. Why have receivers run routes in practice where they're not catching the ball? Why have QBs standing around not throwing it. Go five wide, 5 qbs, footballs flying everywhere. Did it mean they didn't run the ball well or weren't that well prepared on defense to face every type of offense? Yes. But he was so damn successful that everyone had to start imitating him to keep up on offense.

He reminds me a lot of Boeheim. Obvious high intelligence. So smart that they weren't concerned with meatheaded quasi religiousness about the right way to do things. No one admits it but the zone and the air raid offend tough guy sensibilities. It's not the manly way - it's weak and soft and gimmicky. Leach and Boeheim aren't ape tough guys and they are ( crap ... were) arrogant enough to not care. Practice time is precious. If you can get more out of it by not worrying so much about man to man defense or being multiple asking players to do more than can be reasonably expected, screw it, don't do it. Why set yourself up to fail if your tight ends can't do it? That should be expected, plan around not having them.

What's easier for a qb, putting a guy way the hell over there and bringing a defender over, or bringing that guy in and bringing a defender in? Well, duh, it's easier to see and read if there are fewer angry monsters in your face

Most meatheads think there is a right way to do things and you win by working harder. sleepless nights, work work work. Leach stepped back and alloted time efficiently.

Syracuse would've been the perfect place for the air raid in the twenty years where the meathead quasi cult had a leg to stand on. Now everyone runs it and we're trying it somewhat too but we were way too late.
Nice…

This made me laugh.

And I can't believe how old you are either.

Those posts 20 years ago screaming for a wide open offense were fun.

Exposed a lot of idiots.

Leach understood tradeoffs. You can't be great at everything unless you at the top of the recruiting food chain. Given real life constraints, everything he did was about bang for the buck. Passing is better than rushing, so he focused on that. He ran a small number of plays and drilled them relentlessly. Why have receivers run routes in practice where they're not catching the ball? Why have QBs standing around not throwing it. Go five wide, 5 qbs, footballs flying everywhere. Did it mean they didn't run the ball well or weren't that well prepared on defense to face every type of offense? Yes. But he was so damn successful that everyone had to start imitating him to keep up on offense.

He reminds me a lot of Boeheim. Obvious high intelligence. So smart that they weren't concerned with meatheaded quasi religiousness about the right way to do things. No one admits it but the zone and the air raid offend tough guy sensibilities. It's not the manly way - it's weak and soft and gimmicky. Leach and Boeheim aren't ape tough guys and they are ( crap ... were) arrogant enough to not care. Practice time is precious. If you can get more out of it by not worrying so much about man to man defense or not being multiple asking players to do more than can be reasonably expected, screw it, don't do it. Why set yourself up to fail if your tight ends can't do it? That should be expected, plan around not having them.

I will say this in addition, it takes a lot of stones to be as different as Leach was. You play the game by the status quo, you are grinding out a career and making millions of dollars. Life ain't bad.

You take a risk like Leach did, there is a risk you either get bounced back to low level college ball or even high school.

You're right with the meathead stuff. A lot of time it's performative and not generating any innovative or genius ideas, but it justifies a high six figures or seven figure contract.

This made me laugh.

And I can't believe how old you are either.
you were the stetson bennett of drinking. redshirt year for intramural hockey, covid exemption 25 years before covid. started as an 18 year old freshman, never left, but somehow finished a 4 year degree as one of those weird non-traditional students. a true trail blazer.

I will say this in addition, it takes a lot of stones to be as different as Leach was. You play the game by the status quo, you are grinding out a career and making millions of dollars. Life ain't bad.

You take a risk like Leach did, there is a risk you either get bounced back to low level college ball or even high school.

You're right with the meathead stuff. A lot of time it's performative and not generating any innovative or genius ideas, but it justifies a high six figures or seven figure contract.
byu rugby player, law degree from pepperdine, decides to coach, no reason for him to end up with mumme - two of them were crazy enough to just wing it

Called plays from an index card while most OC's have a 10 sheet laminated menu strapped to their belt. The best. He carried his offense around on a damn index card, in his 90's cargo shorts.

Would have loved to have seen him when he was living in Key West between coaching jobs

Leach understood tradeoffs. You can't be great at everything unless you're at the top of the recruiting food chain. Given real life constraints, everything he did was about bang for the buck. Passing is better than rushing, so he focused on that. He ran a small number of plays and drilled them relentlessly. Why have receivers run routes in practice where they're not catching the ball? Why have QBs standing around not throwing it. Go five wide, 5 qbs, footballs flying everywhere. Did it mean they didn't run the ball well or weren't that well prepared on defense to face every type of offense? Yes. But he was so damn successful that everyone had to start imitating him to keep up on offense.

I stopped reading after the first sentence. Kids today!

you were old when we met you and you were a lot younger than I am now

but you probably looked like you were 40 in middle school, i'm guessing
you wouldn't be wrong...

Now get a young whippersnapper kid to help me insert a middle school pic of myself since I can't do it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom