Semi-OT: Marching Band at the Pinstripe Bowl | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT: Marching Band at the Pinstripe Bowl

Mistakebythelake90

Scout Team
For those who care about these things:

Just found out from my friends in the SUMB that SU athletics will not be paying for out of state band members to attend the Pinstripe bowl. Two years ago, they flew me out from Cleveland to attend. Now, band members have to find their own way to SU/NYC, despite it being over break. So, come Dec 29th, when you see 50 people in the marching band, now you'll know why.

Just found out from my friends in the SUMB that SU athletics will not be paying for out of state band members to attend the Pinstripe bowl. Two years ago, they flew me out from Cleveland to attend. Now, band members have to find their own way to SU/NYC, despite it being over break. So, come Dec 29th, when you see 50 people in the marching band, now you'll know why.
I'm out of town and going on my own and have to pay for my seats and the entire trip. In fact, I'd have to pay extra for those seats.

they should band together and say "all or no one is going".

Mistake, another SUMB alum in CLE? Who knew?

Not taking care of the SUMB is a shame. But it shouldn't be a surprise, given the fact that they have had the same unis since the world was flat.

How many kids are we talking about from out of state? Back in the day, we bussed in from points in New England, where I was from (and elsewhere, I presume), to Syracuse, and then travelled together to the Bowl site.

Yeah, its kinda chintzy...but I can kinda see the reasoning behind this.

so in reality they are not paying in state kids to attend either. if you live 3-4 hrs from syracuse you have to find your way back as well. how many kids do we have who cant drive to syracuse ? i mean clev to syracuse is a pretty simple trip. do we have a group of kids who have to deal with CA/Tex/FL type trips?

and from the sounds of it the 19 mill is years away.

Mistake, another SUMB alum in CLE? Who knew?

Not taking care of the SUMB is a shame. But it shouldn't be a surprise, given the fact that they have had the same unis since the world was flat.

How many kids are we talking about from out of state? Back in the day, we bussed in from points in New England, where I was from (and elsewhere, I presume), to Syracuse, and then travelled together to the Bowl site.

I would say atleast 20-30 who are from outside of driving distance, and another 20-30 who would be like me, who it would be possible to drive, but highly inconvenient/unlikely to do the actual drive. For reference, the WVU Band has 430ish members, and they are all being supported to go to their bowl game.

Also, RE: the uniforms - the SUMB has started a drive to buy new uniforms for the move to the ACC, but is again unsupported by the athletic department.

This is a shame actually. I have no interest in the marching band stuff, but just the same, these young people work their butts off supporting our athletic teams and should be rewarded for such. Especially when the cost is marginal in the grand scheme! Wish we knew sooner, we could have done a message board drive to raise some funds.

**** the band. Get there on your own with your cheesy ass polyester jump suit. There are no free lunches. The sooner you figure this out, the better.
Yeah, its so damn free that we pay 50k to go to a school, and then give away our nights and weekends so that syracuse can pretend to be like the big boys at the d1 level and entertain you at a football game. God forbid if said band members want to go to the bowl game, the reward that bands all across the country get as part of the deal.

Go Yourself.

Can we leave the band with the big east? Every time they comes on the field it's like having those misfit cousins show up at the house.

Note to band: your not ready for prime time.

Kinda harsh. Actually, overly harsh. SU doesn't really support and promote its band. If they want to play big boy football, they should back the SUMB.

**** the band. Get there on your own with your cheesy ass polyester jump suit. There are no free lunches. The sooner you figure this out, the better.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but this is beyond "over the top" (n)Oh Lord

Kinda harsh. Actually, overly harsh. SU doesn't really support and promote its band. If they want to play big boy football, they should back the SUMB.
I made a post on opening day last season (2011) I believe, in which I looked up the cost of new uniforms and said I'd be the first to contribute to a university-backed fundraising process to get new uniforms. It's high time that the school backs the band.

The SUMB was pretty good in the Frank Tracz years, with his "Best Damn Band In The Land" OSU influence. But after he left for Kansas State, circa 1992, it's never been the same.

I fully realize that focusing on the marching band falls somewhere just below upgrading the evening cleaning staff at Manley, but assuming that Marrone has been inked into a new agreement and we have some semblance of stability, it would be nice if TGD could find it in him to send some crumbs up to Crouse College in an effort to upgrade the whole band program.

Just my $.02.

tomcat is going to stuff down a tuba and make you squeal like a pig in front of WVU mascot

Yeah, its so damn free that we pay 50k to go to a school, and then give away our nights and weekends so that syracuse can pretend to be like the big boys at the d1 level and entertain you at a football game. God forbid if said band members want to go to the bowl game, the reward that bands all across the country get as part of the deal.

Go **** Yourself.

When Michigan goes to the Rose Bowl do you think they buy plane tickets for every kid in the band from around the country? There's one plane from Michigan to California.

Get over yourselves and get back to Syracuse before the game or meet them in New York.

When Michigan goes to the Rose Bowl do you think they buy plane tickets for every kid in the band from around the country? There's one plane from Michigan to California.

Get over yourselves and get back to Syracuse before the game or meet them in New York.

Actually, yes, they do. Its called being a real athletic department. And up until this game, Syracuse did the exact same thing.

So if the band members can get back to syracuse, SU will pay for them from there? That sounds reasonable.

Actually, yes, they do. Its called being a real athletic department. And up until this game, Syracuse did the exact same thing.

Right. I know otherwise. I also know otherwise from one of my best friends that played in the USC marching band.

Get over yourself. I suggest you get off your cross and transfer.

So if the band members can get back to syracuse, SU will pay for them from there? That sounds reasonable.

Yeah, just gotta get that ticket from Atlanta or Cali, no big deal. Like I said earlier in this thread, theres 20-30 people in the SUMB who would need a plane ticket to get there, and another 20-30 who it would just be a huge pain to get back to syracuse.

Look, I know I'm coming across as an overzealous band nerd. I'm just really disappointed that for all the money the SU Athletic department makes, they couldn't spare the little more that it would take to get the whole band there. I know that most of you here are "lolbandnerds, I just want to watch football!" But we put in a ton of effort to be treated like second class citizens both by the athletic department and a majority of the fans.

Yeah, just gotta get that ticket from Atlanta or Cali, no big deal. Like I said earlier in this thread, theres 20-30 people in the SUMB who would need a plane ticket to get there, and another 20-30 who it would just be a huge pain to get back to syracuse.

Look, I know I'm coming across as an overzealous band nerd. I'm just really disappointed that for all the money the SU Athletic department makes, they couldn't spare the little more that it would take to get the whole band there. I know that most of you here are "lolbandnerds, I just want to watch football!" But we put in a ton of effort to be treated like second class citizens both by the athletic department and a majority of the fans.

I love the band. And it's just my opinion, but I don't think the university should be responsible for getting the individual band members to NYC from all over the country. They go to school in syracuse...they get back to school, SU gets them to the game. To me, that seems reasonable...as I said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom