Semi-OT: Tim Green Mention | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT: Tim Green Mention

The university must shake their head in disbelief when it comes to Syracuse.com. One month prior to Tim Green being honored at the SU-Clemson game (which of course they reference in the story) they decide it’s the perfect time to publish this story knowing full well he is in the final stages of ALS and has nothing to do with the day to day operation of the company.

Totally understanding Tim's situation, I'm confused as to how he isn't involved? You own it and set it up you are responsible for it, don't have to be there every day to have some responsibility.

It's certainly a loaded headline. While, from the Syracusefan/Syracuse fan perspective, this seems like a pot shot, i imagine if you or a family member lived there, you'd be pretty irrate (assuming the underlying facts as reported are true) about all of the glowing press Green has received.

It renewed my outrage over Skyline and Green's other neglected properties. Outrage toward the owner, that is, for bleeding money from his properties while not making the legally and ethically necessary investments to keep his tenants safe. And for increasing the costs borne by the rest of us (police, fire, codes, legal) as a result of his negligence.

Green's been a bad actor from the time he bought the building. He wants to make an outsized profit in the real estate industry, then he deserves to get attention for the mess he's created. It's been his dirty little secret around town for some time, I'm surprised it took this long for the tenants to get the media's attention. That's all I'd like to say on this one.

Far from perfect, the P-S actually did a pretty good job with investigative journalism here.

Anyone else on the verge of outrage over this article on syracuse.com:

Police, tenants push football legend Tim Green’s firm to fix nightmare apartments

It's likely factually correct but to reference Tim Green implies he is involved in the situation to me.

This is so sad to read. Tim Green has done so many good things over the years. I hate to read stuff like this, that his business is turning south and his properties are in disrepair. His 25 year old son is running things, I guess, because of Tim's health problems. I hope somebody gives his son a kick in the rear and he starts taking care of these properties better. You hate to have your legacy tarnished by a lazy kid.

It renewed my outrage over Skyline and Green's other neglected properties. Outrage toward the owner, that is, for bleeding money from his properties while not making the legally and ethically necessary investments to keep his tenants safe. And for increasing the costs borne by the rest of us (police, fire, codes, legal) as a result of his negligence.

Green's been a bad actor from the time he bought the building. He wants to make an outsized profit in the real estate industry, then he deserves to get attention for the mess he's created. It's been his dirty little secret around town for some time, I'm surprised it took this long for the tenants to get the media's attention. That's all I'd like to say on this one.

Far from perfect, the P-S actually did a pretty good job with investigative journalism here.

Is this a personal shortcoming, a poorly run business enterprise or do you not differentiate between the two. Seems some of the issues here have come to a head fairly recently and Tim has been essentially shut down for two years plus.

Granted the owner / operator of a business bears the ultimate responsibility but I'm inclined to give Tim a bit of a pass unless he was consciously involved in decisions that contributed to the issues. At any rate I object to the co-mingling of the personal and corporate. Contrasting the conditions with Tim's home in Skaneateles seemed a bit over the line to me.

The university must shake their head in disbelief when it comes to Syracuse.com. One month prior to Tim Green being honored at the SU-Clemson game (which of course they reference in the story) they decide it’s the perfect time to publish this story knowing full well he is in the final stages of ALS and has nothing to do with the day to day operation of the company.

Also factor in that there will be significant efforts to raise funds for TackleALS in conjunction with the University sponsored events. Hopeful the perception presented by this story does not negatively impact that.

Thanks for the perspective. Tim's legacy includes some tragic elements including his commitment to over-leveraged properties badly in need of maintenance. Dynamic people can make poor decisions, sometimes for the wrong reasons.

He also has superb elements to his legacy and I'll prefer to remember him as the talented and brilliant kid that chose Syracuse and helped to reinvigorate the program when we really needed him.

He made bad choices at times I think but also drew the short straw at times as well. I do think that it's kind of tacky to kick a guy when he's terminally ill. There isn't any really good reason to personalize it like they did.

Tim's company generated cash flow through buying distressed properties with significant rental income. I doubt he planned to become a slum lord, but it happens. The upside always looks bigger than the downside and Tim wouldn't be alone in generating this kind of tragedy. We'll never know if he had a strategy to make good on his gamble.

Best wishes to him, faults and all. Local boy becomes local hero becomes national name becomes tragic figure. Fairytale lives don't always end gracefully...

Is this a personal shortcoming, a poorly run business enterprise or do you not differentiate between the two. Seems some of the issues here have come to a head fairly recently and Tim has been essentially shut down for two years plus.

Granted the owner / operator of a business bears the ultimate responsibility but I'm inclined to give Tim a bit of a pass unless he was consciously involved in decisions that contributed to the issues. At any rate I object to the co-mingling of the personal and corporate. Contrasting the conditions with Tim's home in Skaneateles seemed a bit over the line to me.

Not knowing his personal medical timeline, I can't and shouldn't say for sure, but Greenland has a bad history of code problems dating back to before the Skyline acquisition. And according to people I trust, the deterioration in Skyline was abrupt after Green acquired the property.

No doubt he's going through a horrible situation, and I don't want to kick dirt on him personally. But if he wasn't capable of carrying out his responsibilities as a property owner (as a small closely-held company controlled by an attorney, he's been actively involved in day-to-day operations in that past; since the illness, I don't know to what extent that's still the case), he never should have purchased the property. Tenants there are being put through hell for no good reason. It's pretty rare for tenants and all those city departments to all be lined up on the same side of an issue, and it speaks to how uncooperative Greenland has been over several years.

Your last line sums up my opinion of most of what the P-S puts out. Tacky. Clickbait. But still, it's food for thought...it's just not right that a local property owner is bringing in that kind of revenue while laying his head every night in safe isolation from the problems his company has created a few short miles away.

Thanks for the perspective. Tim's legacy includes some tragic elements including his commitment to over-leveraged properties badly in need of maintenance. Dynamic people can make poor decisions, sometimes for the wrong reasons.

He also has superb elements to his legacy and I'll prefer to remember him as the talented and brilliant kid that chose Syracuse and helped to reinvigorate the program when we really needed him.

He made bad choices at times I think but also drew the short straw at times as well. I do think that it's kind of tacky to kick a guy when he's terminally ill. There isn't any really good reason to personalize it like they did.

Tim's company generated cash flow through buying distressed properties with significant rental income. I doubt he planned to become a slum lord, but it happens. The upside always looks bigger than the downside and Tim wouldn't be alone in generating this kind of tragedy. We'll never know if he had a strategy to make good on his gamble.

Best wishes to him, faults and all. Local boy becomes local hero becomes national name becomes tragic figure. Fairytale lives don't always end gracefully...

Nice post as always - are we going to see you back East in the next few weeks?

Nice post as always - are we going to see you back East in the next few weeks?
Yes, indeed. I have a season ticket in 302 and expect to make a number of games. I’ll be in Binghamton for several weeks, camping for a couple of weeks, and in Virginia for a couple of weeks. I’ll be headed back west by November but intend to be at as many home games that I can. I like NY in the fall...

Yes, indeed. I have a season ticket in 302 and expect to make a number of games. I’ll be in Binghamton for several weeks, camping for a couple of weeks, and in Virginia for a couple of weeks. I’ll be headed back west by November but intend to be at as many home games that I can. I like NY in the fall...

Are you in Binghamton now?

I have nothing but sympathy for what Tim and his family are going through right now and love him as a person and player, but this is a completely reasonable article. This is what journalism is supposed to do -- shine a light on unjust situations, such as slumlords.

This is no different than section 8 housing throughout this country. Not saying it's right, and certainly for those unable to move, and who are good tenants, it is a miserable situation. However, there is a history in communities across this nation that this type of housing attracts certain characters and those who prey upon them, and that with that type of characters loitering around, these problems tend to occur.

The issue is not addressing those who loiter and are creating havoc, harassing those who live there and are trying to get through this life.

I know police say they are frustrated dealing with the property, but perhaps some more patrols in the lot and the area, as well as increased on-site security could help alleviate the problem.

Another Tim Green property in the news (though the P-S reporter apparently didn't make the connection).

Syracuse police investigate homicide after assault victim dies 3 months after attack

To each his own, but when my clients have vagrants congregating in their parking lots for late-night drinking and assorted gladiator-type activities, they usually invest a few more bucks in security.
do you think they didn't make the connection or intentionally ignored the connection?

do you think they didn't make the connection or intentionally ignored the connection?

My guess would be a clumsy, understaffed newsroom.

I do know that they didn't deliberately go after Tim Green with the initial story; it was intended to be a story about Syracuse's worst investor code violators but his name was high on that list and they ran with it. They got a bit of flak from readership after that, so maybe they did ignore the connection here so as to not look like they're piling on.

But I'm still guessing the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.