Seniors returning | Syracusefan.com

Seniors returning

syrBossHogg

Living Legend
I thought I'd start a thread focused on which Seniors have either expressed interest in returning next season or have confirmed to the media that they will be returning. We can keep this thread updated if we learn a player will or won't be returning.

Aaron Hackett

If there are no roster limits we should invite everyone back. Whether a RS-SR, SR, or RS-JR. That is assuming that the kid is not a problem nor a distract to his other teammates. If a kid is a bad apple then send him packing.

Returning seniors who were granted an extra year of COVID eligibility don't count towards the 85.

But we still have to be at or below 85 between returning underclassmen, and incoming freshmen/transfers.

There are 66 underclassmen who could return, plus we already have 21 recruits. 66 + 21 = 87.

Clearly the staff already knows that some players will be taking their degrees or transferring elsewhere.

I would expect Cooney to explore an NFL camp.
SU already has another punter on scholarship who still has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Players returning in my opinion
Hackett
Jonathan
Iffy

players leaving in my opinion
Servase
N Johnson
Black
Williams

players transferring in my opinion
S johnson
E hendricks
Pierre
TD
Thompson-bishop
Richards

player I hope leaves
Taj

Players returning in my opinion
Hackett
Jonathan
Iffy

players leaving in my opinion
Servase
N Johnson
Black
Williams

players transferring in my opinion
S johnson
E hendricks
Pierre
TD
Thompson-bishop
Richards

player I hope leaves
Taj
I think td stays

Do we want any upperclassmen on offense to stay? Defense is a different story but most of the week to week issues on offense are caused by upperclassmen. Drops fumbles miss blocks penalties are almost always by an upperclassmen on offense.

I would expect Cooney to explore an NFL camp.
SU already has another punter on scholarship who still has 4 years of eligibility remaining.
If he isn’t looking good for a camp he can come back one more year and our other punter can redshirt and still have 4 more years. Especially if Cooney won’t count for a scholie

Do we want any upperclassmen on offense to stay? Defense is a different story but most of the week to week issues on offense are caused by upperclassmen. Drops fumbles miss blocks penalties are almost always by an upperclassmen on offense.
This involves Airon Servais, Chris Elmore, Nykeim Johnson, Pat Davis, Abdul Adams and Aaron Hackett.

I would definitely want Servais. Johnson and Hackett back. We have a dearth of slot receivers right now and for that reason. losing Johnson is a big loss. He contributes big things on special teams too.

When Servais is healthy, he is our best OT. Hackett has been a solid TE who can block and catch the ball, and is a big red zone weapon. Like with Airon, he has played hurt most or all of the season. Those two are capable of a lot more than they have shown this year.

Not sure Davis or Adams would get a lot of PT. Everything I have read about Elmore says he is a great kid and teammate, so I would want him back too. He would probably return to his old FB/H-back role, though he might get some playing time on the DL too.

This involves Airon Servais, Chris Elmore, Nykeim Johnson, Pat Davis, Abdul Adams and Aaron Hackett.

I would definitely want Servais. Johnson and Hackett back. We have a dearth of slot receivers right now and for that reason. losing Johnson is a big loss. He contributes big things on special teams too.

When Servais is healthy, he is our best OT. Hackett has been a solid TE who can block and catch the ball, and is a big red zone weapon. Like with Airon, he has played hurt most or all of the season. Those two are capable of a lot more than they have shown this year.

Not sure Davis or Adams would get a lot of PT. Everything I have read about Elmore says he is a great kid and teammate, so I would want him back too. He would probably return to his old FB/H-back role, though he might get some playing time on the DL too.
Another issue that comes to my mind is if Jarveon leaves the program and Pierre decides not to come back for a 5th year that would most certainly require us to recruit another RB , although I think a kid like Pena could pack on another 10 lbs. of muscle and switch to RB I saw his film from HS. and he is very fast and shifty.

I think we will be fine at RB. Hackett is a keeper not that sure about Servais. Rhino is a must for a lot of reasons.

I hope all seniors return.
Want Elmore and he should be named one of two captains for the whole year. F this weekly bs.
Want Serv again Captain for the year.
Cooney for sure kids a weapon.
Nyk again another weapon.

I see no reason to turn away any senior who wants to be here so long as they are not a malignant personality

I think the precedent has been established with the spring sports athletes. Any senior who wants to return and is in good academic standing will be allowed to return. Going to be another big financial hit, but it's the right thing to do.

RE: Elmore

“It’s time to get Chris back to where he’s going to have an opportunity to maybe have a chance to play in the league,” Babers said. “We see him as a big fullback, blocking tight end in the National Football League, if he’s going to have an opportunity, and we wanted to get back to that.

“When we get all of our offensive linemen back, that’s the position that he’ll be playing next year.”

I see no reason to turn away any senior who wants to be here so long as they are not a malignant personality
Well, there is one reason. Money. Those scholarships are expensive. If each cost $50K and we bring back 20 seniors, that comes to $1 million dollars. Where does that money come from? SU, and all the other schools that play football are all in awful financial shape. Even Clemson is cutting sports.

If it would be tough for the football program to pay for some extra scholarships, what about the fall sports that do not normally generate revenue?

Bottom line, I think maybe we bring a couple of players back for football only. If we are lucky. If we do, it will be because donors or the JB Foundation ponied up the money.

RE: Elmore

“It’s time to get Chris back to where he’s going to have an opportunity to maybe have a chance to play in the league,” Babers said. “We see him as a big fullback, blocking tight end in the National Football League, if he’s going to have an opportunity, and we wanted to get back to that.

“When we get all of our offensive linemen back, that’s the position that he’ll be playing next year.”
Elmore is one of the best all around players we have ever had on and off the field.

I thought Elmore did yeoman’s work as a guard. But I explicitly watched him as fullback on Saturday and it was not good. Maybe rusty? But if he can’t ca5ch the ball or be a threat for a occasional handoff he needs to be much mor3 effective.

Well, there is one reason. Money. Those scholarships are expensive. If each cost $50K and we bring back 20 seniors, that comes to $1 million dollars. Where does that money come from? SU, and all the other schools that play football are all in awful financial shape. Even Clemson is cutting sports.

If it would be tough for the football program to pay for some extra scholarships, what about the fall sports that do not normally generate revenue?

Bottom line, I think maybe we bring a couple of players back for football only. If we are lucky. If we do, it will be because donors or the JB Foundation ponied up the money.
The actual cost to SU for an extra athlete is room and board plus the incremental cost on the academic side (books etc). You might be confusing price (stated tuition) with the university’s cost. It you have 20 kids in a classroom, there isn’t much cost in adding another student.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom