Serious question about memphis... | Syracusefan.com

Serious question about memphis...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
How in the hell do they land so many 4 and 5 star prospects? They played in a crap league and never win anything.

How in the hell do they land so many 4 and 5 star prospects? They played in a crap league and never win anything.
UConn hopes to copy them. They have the crap league, for sure.

UConn hopes to copy them. They have the crap league, for sure.
so basically joisey state hoops is now going to be a power because they moved to a crap league- the big east was holding them back

Did Boatright get a tattoo on his face or does he have a black bandaid on his cheek?

They had a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left in the 2008 title game - just an historic collapse. Elite Eight in 2006 and 2007, Sweet 16 in 2009, and have been to the tourney with early exits the past three years. They're a very good program.

Memphis has a very interesting demographic. It is one of the only major cities outside Africa whose majority are black (DC another and Detroit might be the third). Tennessee is made up of 17 percent blacks and Memphis is 63 percent black. Most whites live in the burbs and moved there due to "White Flight". The city has focused on destroying many of the housing projects created back in the day and it has seen a huge influx of "young professionals" back into the downtown area. Memphis was one of if not the largest city in the area after slavery and many blacks moved to where they could find the most readily available work loading barges, etc...

Due to racial histories (civils rights where being fought for when I was a kid in the 80's) , many of the schools made up of black students lacked the funding that their counterparts had in the suburbs. Schools are funded largely from local property tax and you cannot tax abandoned houses, closed stores, and housing projects as you can multi-million dollar houses and Gucci stores.

Just outside Memphis, Germantown and Houston two arch rivals in the burbs ( class 5 schools largest schools) have huge sports complex's when fields in the inner city are run down, overgrown, bone dry, covered in glass and needles. It is a lot easier and cheaper buy a basketball and a rim and play hoops than it is to play any other sports. Shoot, all you need is milk crate "borrowed" from the back door of the local school and knock the bottom out and nail it to the nearest light-post. When you don't have any money and no electricity in the 110 degree 70 percent humidity summer days you get outside and play ball to get your mind off it then hit the local pool.

The sad fact is that the kids in prison could make many college kids and NBA'ers look like "slaw". If there really was a strong voice for many of these young kids, you could see a larger population of athletes in all sports come out of that area. Freak athletes, with no guidance. Plus Fed Ex Forum, where UofM plays, is a very nice swank NBA court right downtown off of Beale St. which is full of live blues bars, great dives, ongoing parties.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/47/4748000.html

Last edited:
pearl31 said:
sorry Marsh, but :rolling: I think he's a helluva recruiter but a terrible in-game coach. terrible.

Hes not bad. Im not saying hes the next coming of coach k. The problem is he recruits these athletic as hell not very good basketball players.

once*

Not interested in counting 2008, huh?

Since I still count the 1990 lax championship, I pretty much ignore this vacated crap. They have 2 runner ups.

Not interested in counting 2008, huh?

Since I still count the 1990 lax championship, I pretty much ignore this vacated crap. They have 2 runner ups.
So is it true about the 1990 LAX trophy? ;)

technically due to John Calipari via derrick rose that has been wiped from the record books.
So I didn't see a game in San Antonio? LOL

Yeah I know what you are saying...but Memphis has a solid history despite Calipari and Kirk.

So I didn't see a game in San Antonio? LOL

Yeah I know what you are saying...but Memphis has a solid history despite Calipari and Kirk.
and money, they offered Cal as much as Kentucky did. So you can keep a program alive as long as you are pumping money into it. Practice facilities, sweet dorms, quality city. Lots of positives i'm sure. But Cal is still a scumbag. that was my only point of posting in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom