Serious question... | Syracusefan.com

Serious question...

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Not going to talk much about the game because I’m honestly not surprised.

But, why can’t we even in an “area” attempt to put a body on a guy in order to grab a def rebound? Sure there were some long rebounds that they secured in a myriad of fashions, but, we saw many times of more SU players in an “area” not getting the ball when they could have been putting a body on someone. Sometimes right under the basket.

We just aren’t that talented. We would be lucky to get two wins against them in a 7 game series anyplace/anywhere.

Because in a zone you can't box out cliche cliche cliche rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric blah blah blah

In a zone sometimes you can't always box out... somehow for the players this has become an excuse to never to try to box out.

The frustrating thing is we were a fairly good rebounding team last year.

I mean -- and I'm not trying to say there aren't ongoing systemic issues to fix -- if we could have just played with a decent amount of toughness we would have won an ugly game. Same with the ODU game. Same with the ucon game.
team is a mess right now and I couldn't be much more disappointed

I agree that some of our players may lack toughness and that in turn may hurt rebounding, and probably everything else. But I have to disagree that rebounding is all effort. Many other things come into play. Jumping ability, jumping speed, second jump speed, hands, a nose for the ball, a knack for establishing position, ability to absorb contact, size/weight/strength, and most importantly imo for long rebounds, timing.

OB was a monster on the boards tonight. It was a delight to watch in person.

Marek can jump and has good instincts but it’s hard for him to hold his spot. He certainly gives effort.

Chukwu, as we have discussed ad nauseum, cannot get off the floor or hold his ground. One time tonight, he was literally fouled/pushed a foot off his spot by UB. The ref called a travel. The crew tonight was horrible btw.

Sid, I don’t remember.

Our guards certainly could be quicker to the ball even though they’re often out at the three point line. More than half of Buffalos shots were threes.

I mean -- and I'm not trying to say there aren't ongoing systemic issues to fix -- if we could have just played with a decent amount of toughness we would have won an ugly game. Same with the ODU game. Same with the ucon game.
I thought this was the first time we actually started with more toughness than the opponent rather than starting slow. Just couldn’t sustain it. Is it psychological? Are we lacking mental toughness at the free throw line too?

Maybe ODU but Buffalo is in a different class than ODU in terms of b-ball. Some of the ways they shredded the Zone in the 2H was impressive. Some of the interior passing, blowing by our guys, zipping the ball around, etc. No contest mid 2H-on. Sure we lack toughness and are wildly inconsistent at the FT line. But, even a good game by SU standards probably doesn’t beat UB. Two different stratospheres in terms of b-ball, IMO.

Maybe ODU but Buffalo is in a different class than ODU in terms of b-ball. Some of the ways they shredded the Zone in the 2H was impressive. Some of the interior passing, blowing by our guys, zipping the ball around, etc. No contest mid 2H-on. Sure we lack toughness and are wildly inconsistent at the FT line. But, even a good game by SU standards probably doesn’t beat UB. Two different stratospheres in terms of b-ball, IMO.

Buffalo missed a ton of open 3s in the first half too. We realistically should have been down at half despite shooting 57%

Certainly can't argue it is the fault of zone all the time. We saw UB get a rebound off of a missed foul shot where our guy made no attempt to box out and just rushed to the ball.

Buffalo missed a ton of open 3s in the first half too. We realistically should have been down at half despite shooting 57%

They should have been up by 10. This team possesses no killer instinct.

Certainly can't argue it is the fault of zone all the time. We saw UB get a rebound off of a missed foul shot where our guy made no attempt to box out and just rushed to the ball.
its called bad fundamentals... when the same issues happen year after year regardless of the player it the system. The only time we have good rebounders is if we can find someone like Roberson who has a knack for it. We don't develop rebounding or boxing out as a skill in our players.

They should have been up by 10. This team possesses no killer instinct.
Lets be clear it has nothing to do with effort or killer instinct... its simply the fact that we can not generate consistently good offensive looks which means that scoring droughts are inevitable. Buffalo was destined to start hitting shots because they were getting good looks, we are destined to start missing because our looks suck. I think its unfortunate when people attribute losses to effort or some other intangible when it's really about the percentages of good looks you are getting vs giving up.

its called bad fundamentals... when the same issues happen year after year regardless of the player it the system. The only time we have good rebounders is if we can find someone like Roberson who has a knack for it. We don't develop rebounding or boxing out as a skill in our players.
Agreed. I tend to find myself yelling at the TV the same things I say to my 12-year old daughter's team I coach. "Box out!!!" "Move!!!"

I agree that some of our players may lack toughness and that in turn may hurt rebounding, and probably everything else. But I have to disagree that rebounding is all effort. Many other things come into play. Jumping ability, jumping speed, second jump speed, hands, a nose for the ball, a knack for establishing position, ability to absorb contact, size/weight/strength, and most importantly imo for long rebounds, timing.

OB was a monster on the boards tonight. It was a delight to watch in person.

Marek can jump and has good instincts but it’s hard for him to hold his spot. He certainly gives effort.

Chukwu, as we have discussed ad nauseum, cannot get off the floor or hold his ground. One time tonight, he was literally fouled/pushed a foot off his spot by UB. The ref called a travel. The crew tonight was horrible btw.

Sid, I don’t remember.

Our guards certainly could be quicker to the ball even though they’re often out at the three point line. More than half of Buffalos shots were threes.
I think your last line is spot on - we lose every long rebound because the other teams guards are quicker, eact faster and simply want it more. We get beat on the glass but we get killed on the 50-50 balls.

yeah, I don't agree. Again, had we played with resolve - especially defense and rebounding, we win an ugly 65-60 type game last night - our guys just wilted in the final 10 minutes

yeah, I don't agree. Again, had we played with resolve - especially defense and rebounding, we win an ugly 65-60 type game last night - our guys just wilted in the final 10 minutes

We’ll just agree to disagree. UB did much of the same in the 1H just missed a ton of open shots. On offense we did our usual root canal torture. When they stopped driving and/or couldn’t get past their guys then the launches/jacks late in the SC occured. Sure, FTs and rebounding were issues but when do we have a clean possession on offense? When is it not a struggle?

We’ll just agree to disagree. UB did much of the same in the 1H just missed a ton of open shots. On offense we did our usual root canal torture. When they stopped driving and/or couldn’t get past their guys then the launches/jacks late in the SC occured. Sure, FTs and rebounding were issues but when do we have a clean possession on offense? When is it not a struggle?
I think we agree somewhat we’re just saying it differently - I’d say most of those open looks of theirs throughout the game were due to our lack of resolve/focus/energy than to their offensive prowess

I think we agree somewhat we’re just saying it differently - I’d say most of those open looks of theirs throughout the game were due to our lack of resolve/focus/energy than to their offensive prowess

That’s certainly possible. But, regardless, I saw better players and basketball being displayed out there by them. Maybe I’m blind though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom