Setting expectations for this season... | Syracusefan.com

Setting expectations for this season...

Rocco

Watching you.
I am jacked up. Everyone on here is jacked up. We should be.

Babers has been a great hire since Day 1. I love all of the changes he made in the offseason, especially within the S&C program. It was time.

The offense is going to be amazing to watch... ONCE it starts to run smoothly. We need to really keep that in mind. We've all heard Babers say he needs until about the 5th or 6th game of the 2nd year when players really start to "get it".

With all that being said, I'm fully "expecting" a flawless 15-0, National Championship, but it's crucial for us diehards to give these guys some time before we're all start complaining. This could be a rough year, but I am beyond confident that this WILL bring SU Football back to prominence in due time.

In the meantime, I'll be gargling molten lava, juggling machetes and deadlifting dump trucks, simultaneously. Will be fun curb-stomping Petrino in Week 2.

LGO!

A surprisingly bad start with a strong finish and I am onboard. Historically we ALWAYS bite it in September. If we can demonstrate progress during the year then there is a lot to embrace, regardless of schedule.

I'm just not worried about it. We're finally doing the right things for the only P5 that has a dome. We've got a ten year runway based on the amount of patience people have given the meathead way we've done things. If we suck this year (we won't) it doesn't even matter.

I care about what they do this season -- keeping in mind we play 2 top 5 teams, another top 10 team, a top 20 team in Louisville, and a top 30 team in South Florida. So the schedule sets limits on the W/L record.

That said, what were the expectations when Shafer entered his first season in 2013; or when Lester entered his first season as OC in 2015? This team is a lot better than those teams -- and Babers is a lot more likely to have his system in place in September, ready to win, and ready to work an upset or two. He has more to work with in every spot (except DE). People think it takes a season and a half for Dino to start winning? Nope -- Dino started fast in his prior HC jobs, and he has all the skill players back who contributed for SU last season.

I care about what they do this season -- keeping in mind we play 2 top 5 teams, another top 10 team, a top 20 team in Louisville, and a top 30 team in South Florida. So the schedule sets limits on the W/L record.

That said, what were the expectations when Shafer entered his first season in 2013; or when Lester entered his first season as OC in 2015? This team is a lot better than those teams -- and Babers is a lot more likely to have his system in place in September, ready to win, and ready to work an upset or two. He has more to work with in every spot (except DE). People think it takes a season and a half for Dino to start winning? Nope -- Dino started fast in his prior HC jobs, and he has all the skill players back who contributed for SU last season.

Good coaches tend to make an impact quickly and tend to win very quickly as well. It doesn't always happen that way and I agree that the schedule limits the upside of the win total, but I don't think it's crazy at all for people to expect to see results (not perfect, but legit progress) quickly from a team that has some talent.

Good coaches tend to make an impact quickly and tend to win very quickly as well. It doesn't always happen that way and I agree that the schedule limits the upside of the win total, but I don't think it's crazy at all for people to expect to see results (not perfect, but legit progress) quickly from a team that has some talent.

Yes. To build on that, Babers and his key offensive coaches have had that impact two times already, and have won very quickly two times already. It did not take them a season & a half to begin the turn-around for Eastern Illinois, or to post big numbers at BGSU.

Then, look at the 2016 talent at the skill positions compared to what we have had in recent seasons. Babers should have that group playing much better --- in September -- than anything we have seen since Nassib's senior season.

I'm just not worried about it. We're finally doing the right things for the only P5 that has a dome. We've got a ten year runway based on the amount of patience people have given the meathead way we've done things. If we suck this year (we won't) it doesn't even matter.

I agree with you, but it's always amazing to me how quickly the pitchforks come out in full force.

This is a fairly young team running a brand new, truly up-tempo system. Conditioning has been greatly improved, but it will take longer for these players to play up to Babers & Co's expectations. Mid-year in his 2nd season is what he is claiming. Hopefully it's sooner than that, but I'm ready to be patient.

Either way, cannot wait to tailgate for Colgate!

Yes. To build on that, Babers and his key offensive coaches have had that impact two times already, and have won very quickly two times already. It did not take them a season & a half to begin the turn-around for Eastern Illinois, or to post big numbers at BGSU.

Then, look at the 2016 talent at the skill positions compared to what we have had in recent seasons. Babers should have that group playing much better --- in September -- than anything we have seen since Nassib's senior season.

Yeah and I don't really know that I see a whole lot of 'square peg, round hole' issue offensively either. I'm sure Babers' dream group of wide receivers doesn't look exactly like this group and maybe Dungey isn't the guy he'd handpick to run the offense, etc., but I think there is talent outside and inside at WR, solid backs, some experience on the line and Dungey is easily the best QB since Nassib and may have higher upside (at least as a college qb) than anyone since McNabb (before people accuse me of hyperbole, remember that's not exactly high praise). That's a lot to work with for a guy taking over a struggling program.

I do think the defense will be a work in progress and we'll have to be prepared for some frustration there. But I'm with you on expecting to see good things early.

This probably deserves it's own thread, but does anyone have any idea what type of in game coach Babers is? We hear all about the offense. But in game, does he go for it alot of fourth-down? Do his team jump out early and hold on ? Is he known for second-half adjustments?

This probably deserves it's own thread, but does anyone have any idea what type of in game coach Babers is? We hear all about the offense. But in game, does he go for it alot of fourth-down? Do his team jump out early and hold on ? Is he known for second-half adjustments?

Good offensive teams go for it a lot on 4th down. No, I don't have the numbers to back that statement up, but I am pretty confident.

Simple facts:

- a Babers run offense at 75% will be the most productive offense run at Syracuse ever (with a hat tip to 2012 and Hackett/Nassib/Lemon).

- loads of youth, QB injuries, horrendous defense, a really inconsistent offense in 2015 and we won 4 games and easily could have seen UVa and Pitt go the other way.

Based on Dungey's health being a wildcard - I think 6 wins is the best guess. With the upside being more likely than the downside for the first time since Marrone left.

Brian Orange said:

He's a dice roller. He goes for it a lot. His teams jump out and don't just hold on, they hit the gas.

Don't know about adjustments.

I agree with you, but it's always amazing to me how quickly the pitchforks come out in full force.

This is a fairly young team running a brand new, truly up-tempo system. Conditioning has been greatly improved, but it will take longer for these players to play up to Babers & Co's expectations. Mid-year in his 2nd season is what he is claiming. Hopefully it's sooner than that, but I'm ready to be patient.

Either way, cannot wait to tailgate for Colgate!
I'm fully expecting the meatheads to come out with the pitchforks the first time we score less than 30/go for it on 4th and fail/don't convert on the goal line and WHY DON'T WE PLAY A FULLBACK DAMMIT/we play against a team that can score right alongside us and we lose, etc.

I just don't care. They can feel frustrated and feel that they know better and nobody gets it just like a bunch of us have since the game of college football changed and left us behind even though we were arguably the one program in the country best positioned to ride the wave thanks to the Dome.

It's our turn.

I just expect 2-2 in the nonconference and beat 2 of 3 in Wake/BC/NC State.

I have no expectations because I believe we have finally a 21st century college HC leading this program.

Realistically I want a win against USF and at least 6-6

His game plan is a lot like my nephew's in Madden...and I always get my ass kicked by like 40!!