Class of 2018 - SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton

I was able to read the article for free through this tweet (in the Twitter app):

Apparently Twann and Griffin are related:

I assume it's probably not first cousins but obviously there is a strong bond here. Dad sounds like he's 100% Orange. It also looks like he'll play in our elite camp so hopefully an offer comes then. Dad also says they may visit before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This crap is just too frustrating. With everything I have seen and read this highly rated kid is super interested in our school. This should be instant offer and full court press to get that commit. Our philosophy in recruiting has to change this is crazy.
I'd prefer our coaching staff evaluates him in person and decides if he fits our system rather than offer him because his dad was a fan of Derrick Coleman.

I was able to read the article for free through this tweet (in the Twitter app):

Apparently Twann and Griffin are related:

I assume it's probably not first cousins but obviously there is a strong bond here. Dad sounds like he's 100% Orange. It also looks like he'll play in our elite camp so hopefully an offer comes then. Dad also says they may visit before that.

Sc out and now 2 47 are once again being added to the filter. I'm tired of dealing with their complaints that their stuff is being ripped off. Please do not cut and paste, post a screen capture, quote, discuss, speak out loud, or think about any of their content.

Last edited:
I'd prefer our coaching staff evaluates him in person and decides if he fits our system rather than offer him because his dad was a fan of Derrick Coleman.

Sarcastic or not, come on. Do you really think anyone is advocating that?

Sarcastic or not, come on. Do you really think anyone is advocating that?
No, but I'm just advocating for patience. If we offer him today or offer him in two weeks it's not going to make a difference. But everyone here apparently knows how to be a coach or how to recruit better than our staff or JB. It's getting ridiculous.

Evaluate in person, offer him, and see what happens.

I'm not against waiting to evaluate him in person. Definitely a smart idea especially if they feel like they aren't jeopardizing his recruitment by waiting seeing as though he has such a high interest in us...but you do realize this kid is legit and considered one of the top sg in his entire class right? He's not just some schmuck or bottom tier player. Hopefully he checks out what they are looking for once they get a good look at him and he gets a offer. Would be a real nice replacement for battle once he leaves

I'm not against waiting to evaluate him in person. Definitely a smart idea especially if they feel like they aren't jeopardizing his recruitment by waiting seeing as though he has such a high interest in us...but you do realize this kid is legit and considered one of the top sg in his entire class right? He's not just some schmuck or bottom tier player. Hopefully he checks out what they are looking for once they get a good look at him and he gets a offer. Would be a real nice replacement for battle once he leaves

And if he is that good maybe other recruits follow. I just hope we don't drag our feet

If we drag our feet with him, good lord

Dragging our feet? We don't even know if we're going to have 1, 2 or 3 schollies available, so locking 1 up right now with a guy that we might have in our 2nd tier of recruits is probably not the smartest way to go about things. We're all having meltdowns because of the 2017 class and need some kind of immediate satisfaction but hopefully and thankfully the staff isn't a bunch of irrational message board posters that have 0 repercussions for their thoughts.

Dragging our feet? We don't even know if we're going to have 1, 2 or 3 schollies available, so locking 1 up right now with a guy that we might have in our 2nd tier of recruits is probably not the smartest way to go about things. We're all having meltdowns because of the 2017 class and need some kind of immediate satisfaction but hopefully and thankfully the staff isn't a bunch of irrational message board posters that have 0 repercussions for their thoughts.

You're joking right? You don't think we're going to have room next year? Tier 2 recruit? This is kid is top 40, borderline 5 star player...we get those...once every 3-4 years?
You don't mess around with a real good recruit who wants to commit early to you.

Have to finish 2017 first

Hey AZOrange...always meant to hit u up. Where in AZ are you? central phx here. I go to some of Linda's get togethers..originally from the cuse area

Dragging our feet is definitely premature here. It's not even the summer eval period and we expect this kid to be at the Elite camp for first hand judgment of his skills.

But right now, we have 4 scholarships available for next year's class, and I could definitely see up to 7-8. I hope we add a grad transfer and Tucker picks us, so we'd probably have at least the 3 available still. Tyus will go pro, TT might, Chukwu could be a grad transfer, who knows with Frank. Lots of variables in play, but we definitely look like we'll have at least 3 to play with. This kid is pretty much top 50 everywhere, is tailor made for our zone, is a strong shooter and looks capable of stepping right into Battle's spot. Locking a kid like this up early would be huge, especially with all the turmoil and uncertainty we've seen lately.

Kid reminds me of a little more fluid Todd Burgan type player. If he hit the weights hard he could be a REAL handful to deal with at the college level. He might be a 3 who could grow into a 2, hard to tell how much lateral quickness from those clips so its difficult to determine where he would play in the zone but im very much looking forward to seeing how he plays this summer

No, but I'm just advocating for patience. If we offer him today or offer him in two weeks it's not going to make a difference. But everyone here apparently knows how to be a coach or how to recruit better than our staff or JB. It's getting ridiculous.

Evaluate in person, offer him, and see what happens.

Agreed.

And, if we either haven't sufficiently evaluated him yet, and/or we have, but he's not #1 or #2 on our list for his position, then why would we rush to offer him now, and - assuming he jumps on it - basically give up any option/chance we might have, of landing our #1 or #2 option?

It's certainly nice that we seem to be his dream school, but as a wise man once said, "premature anything is bad." :p

I think some of us are jumpy at "offer, offer, offer!" because we don't want to let too much time go. I personally don't want a Isaiah Washington situation happen...where the staff prioritized a lot of other guys ahead of him, whereas he would have committed in two seconds if we ever offered. Too much time happened and he got his big P5 offer and committed and signed his letter quickly. He may not be a protype Cuse pg but the kid has game and would have been a welcome addition here. Plus these kids WANT to come here...gimme one of those over a kid we have to convince.

Wrong. Any chance you have to improve the team and get a player like this you take it. Who's the last recruit this high that committed? Not Mali, not McCollough, not Battle, not Ennis...
I agree that if you can land a top player like this to start the 2018 class, let's lock it in and get the ball rolling. No reason you can't work on both classes at the same time. Every top program does it while they are trying to patch the holes from early entries, etc. while also building the foundation of 2018. Just part of the game nowadays with all the roster turnover each year.

But your second point is just flat out wrong. Every single one of those players you mentioned was right in the same range as Jones. In fact, 2017 down year aside we typically land at least 1 kid as good as Jones every single year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom