Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just one way to think about it.. but not getting an elite guy this class, might bode really well with bringing one in 23’. We’re after some real studs again in the next class and playing time should be available that season for one or two of them to come in and immediately compete for a starting spot - while maintaining our depth (for the future.)

I’m not saying we will get one of those 5* guys, but I think it’s a matter of time until the staff does lock one down and I have a good feeling that 23’ is that year.

At the very least I think there’s good reason to be optimistic, starting with landing Bunch and bringing in this good deep 5 man class.
After that, I think getting back into the top 25 this year (or higher), will be a really great way to keep the trend in a positive direction and get back to maintaining national relevancy. One can hope, right!
In my opinion we will not get an elite five star talent out of high school until JB retires. After being on probation twice I don’t think he wants to play the game that obviously many other schools who are attracting five star talents are playing.

In my opinion we will not get an elite five star talent out of high school until JB retires. After being on probation twice I don’t think he wants to play the game that obviously many other schools who are attracting five star talents are playing.

If Ignite and OT Elite workout well for kids you will see a lot more 5 stars chase that route too.

I don’t know about Wagner, but Kwame Evans is a SF from Baltimore, currently going to a big time out of state prep school.
Yeah Wagner is gonna be tough, I think he goes Kentucky or maybe Memphis. Both Evans and Derik Queen were recently offered by SU, top five each in 2023 and 2024, respectively. Both from Baltimore and now play at Montverde Academy.

Tyus Battle verballed to Michigan.

It ain’t over, til it’s over.

(unless he signs his National LOI early, in which case - it’s over).

Hoping we add Bunch to the… group.
Portal says it’s not over

Pretty certain we are good here. This will wrap it up for high school recruits for this cycle. I’m sure there will be some departures and we will dip into the portal. As someone said earlier on this thread, this is a really solid class. If we could have just landed one STUDDDDD, like no question top dawg in the class this class would have been killer. Really all it’s missing is a JJ, Dior, etc…I also found JJ’s parents comments about his decision after pretty interesting in wishing he stayed home, etc…I wonder if that will creep into his mind at all the closer it comes to going to college as they are a pretty tight family.

especially if brey and nd part ways. Guy has another season like he’s been having and there’s a good chance he’ll be coaching in the big 10 next year

Pretty certain we are good here. This will wrap it up for high school recruits for this cycle. I’m sure there will be some departures and we will dip into the portal. As someone said earlier on this thread, this is a really solid class. If we could have just landed one STUDDDDD, like no question top dawg in the class this class would have been killer. Really all it’s missing is a JJ, Dior, etc…I also found JJ’s parents comments about his decision after pretty interesting in wishing he stayed home, etc…I wonder if that will creep into his mind at all the closer it comes to going to college as they are a pretty tight family.
There “might” be one more. Needs some work.

Maybe, maybe not, but I do like that our staff still has the confidence to go after top flight prospects. Tells me that they still feel like they can land em, which is why I remain optimistic.

Maybe, maybe not, but I do like that our staff still has the confidence to go after top flight prospects. Tells me that they still feel like they can land em, which is why I remain optimistic.
And why shouldn't they? I mean we're not exactly chopped liver...we're still Syracuse.
That's always been JB'S MO, get 3-4* kids who develop and a 5* stud who can carry them over the top.
It worked w/ Melo, John Wallace, Derrick Coleman, Pearl.
We've never been the Duke/UK model that depends on multiple 5-Stars to win- just a couple sprinkled here & there. I'll wager we'll have a good team in place to shoot for a legit top-10 stud in 2023.

It's not the reason why. The reason why we are getting guys ranked 50 to 100 and not top 50 is because JB is coasting in recruiting. And we should be happy with Bunch. He's a legit top 100 player.

It's not the reason why. The reason why we are getting guys ranked 50 to 100 and not top 50 is because JB is coasting in recruiting. And we should be happy with Bunch. He's a legit top 100 player.
Its not?? can you explain how Memphis, Nebraska, Arkansas, Auburn and LSU are now attracting better talent than historically ever could. The recruiting game has changed and paying players is now a large part of it. Just look at Chance Westry’s list of schools. He would typically be a SU recruit.

Btw, i think Chris Bunch is an excellent recruiting target but his game gives me Mookie Jones flashbacks.

Its not?? can you explain how Memphis, Nebraska, Arkansas, Auburn and LSU are now attracting better talent than historically ever could. The recruiting game has changed and paying players is now a large part of it. Just look at Chance Westry’s list of schools. He would typically be a SU recruit.

Btw, i think Chris Bunch is an excellent recruiting target but his game gives me Mookie Jones flashbacks.
Pearl and Wade cheat everywhere they’ve been. Everyone knows that, but that only explains part of the story.

Those coaches are out on the road constantly(so are others). JB is not as much as they are and he’s old school. Multiple guys we targeted said having a close relationship with their HC was important to them…That’s not JB. It will change when/if Autry takes over.

Last edited:
Pearl and Wade cheat everywhere they’ve been everyone knows that, but that only explains part of the story.

Those coaches are out on the road constantly(so are others). JB is not as much as they are and he’s old school. Multiple guys we targeted said having a close relationship with their HC was important to them…That’s not JB. It will change when/if Autry takes over.
I agree with you. Our best chance to recruit with JB is a 5-star talent from the NEPSAC (Brewster) or a disgruntled player from the portal. I can see a scenario where Matas Buzelis re-classes and comes to SU next year if Cole Swider or Benny Williams leaves early.

Pearl and Wade cheat everywhere they’ve been everyone knows that, but that only explains part of the story.

I think that there are two factors that inhibit us going after blue chip caliber recruits.

The first started back in 1991, when we got nailed the first time by the NCAA with sanctions. After that, we implemented a compliance team within the AD, and started following the rules a little more closely. That's why you saw us drop out of the running at the 11th hour for many top rated recruits over the years, most notably Stephon Marbury [who's family made an overt demand for cash], and Anthony Davis [who's father was alleged to have done the same].

Second, JB is old. He just doesn't have the motivation to grind anymore out on the recruiting trail. Most younger coaches recognize that recruiting never sleeps, but JB doesn't operate that way anymore. He prefers to delegate and operate as the closer. That might have worked to a degree when you have an energetic, relentless guy like Mike Hopkins doing the leg work -- but it doesn't seem to work given the composition of the current staff.

Both of these things take us out of the sweepstakes for the elite of the elite. We still land good players -- and often, guys who far outshoot their ratings -- but it is hard to use that methodology and legitimately compete with programs who pull out all the stops for those types of players, and are on them 24/7.

More likely Benny returns than Cole.
Yes. I think benny is that guy but needs development and time to gain confidence, some of these high recruits need to settle in first.

Cole on the other hand is an experienced, strong, and very athletic shooter. He also can destroy the rim, which is something I don't think a lot of people know about since Villanova limited his role.

I think that there are two factors that inhibit us going after blue chip caliber recruits.

The first started back in 1991, when we got nailed the first time by the NCAA with sanctions. After that, we implemented a compliance team within the AD, and started following the rules a little more closely. That's why you saw us drop out of the running at the 11th hour for many top rated recruits over the years, most notably Stephon Marbury [who's family made an overt demand for cash], and Anthony Davis [who's father was alleged to have done the same].

Second, JB is old. He just doesn't have the motivation to grind anymore out on the recruiting trail. Most younger coaches recognize that recruiting never sleeps, but JB doesn't operate that way anymore. He prefers to delegate and operate as the closer. That might have worked to a degree when you have an energetic, relentless guy like Mike Hopkins doing the leg work -- but it doesn't seem to work given the composition of the current staff.

Both of these things take us out of the sweepstakes for the elite of the elite. We still land good players -- and often, guys who far outshoot their ratings -- but it is hard to use that methodology and legitimately compete with programs who pull out all the stops for those types of players, and are on them 24/7.
That’s a fair analysis. It didn’t come out how I wanted, but you can get top talent without cheating. We did before and I’m not saying JB doesn’t want to win, but he’s not out as much as other HC’s. He’s sending Autry or GMac to do the grunt work. Unfortunately for them they have to go against other programs HC’s.

That’s a fair analysis. It didn’t come out how I wanted, but you can get top talent without cheating. We did before and I’m not saying JB doesn’t want to win, but he’s not out as much as other HC’s. He’s sending Autry or GMac to do the grunt work. Unfortunately for them they have to go against other programs HC’s.

I see it a little differently. I think we can get very good players who are great system fits without cheating, but I don't know if we can get top tier talent -- they have lots of options, and other teams barely conceal the fact that they cheat indiscriminately, because the NCAA has proven to be a toothless sham of an enforcement body. So the risk of getting caught is far outweighed by the reward of doing so. That's why you have Wade, Pearl, and Self bringing in elite talent every year, even though all of them are on the hot seat with the FBI / NCAA scandal.

But I agree with the premise that JB isn't grinding at an appropriate level on the recruiting trail. And I'm not sure that a ~80 year old man would be capable of doing so, anyway.

I see it a little differently. I think we can get very good players who are great system fits without cheating, but I don't know if we can get top tier talent -- they have lots of options, and other teams barely conceal the fact that they cheat indiscriminately, because the NCAA has proven to be a toothless sham of an enforcement body. So the risk of getting caught is far outweighed by the reward of doing so. That's why you have Wade, Pearl, and Self bringing in elite talent every year, even though all of them are on the hot seat with the FBI / NCAA scandal.

But I agree with the premise that JB isn't grinding at an appropriate level on the recruiting trail. And I'm not sure that a ~80 year old man would be capable of doing so, anyway.

JB and Syracuse are playing the crootin game with 2 strikes against us.

And while YES, he's old and not gonna grind like he used to/should be - it's more a function of, we totally back off of any recruitment where there's clearly a desire on the part of the player/family/handlers for "extracurricular considerations".

JB wisely isn't going to risk blowing our program and his legacy by getting us nuked due to getting dinged by the NCAA for a 3rd time.

Even though it's clear that there are numerous programs out there who JDGAF and will continue to blatantly cheat at every opportunity.
And who can blame them??

The NCAA is (mostly) toothless, and looks the other way for the majority of non-Syracuse programs.

May be if Julie helps out in recruiting by taking JB's phone and text with those recruits that need constant babying. Just don't FaceTime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom