Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, chakka - this makes a great deal of sense from a big picture perspective.

It will be VERY interesting to see how things play out with the Nike contract. This is Wildhack's wheelhouse - leveraging brand recognition and negotiating with giants like Nike and UA to maximize revenue. His position at ESPN makes him unlike any other AD in the country.

Yes but I will vomit if we wind up with UA. The Orange hilighter look. :vomit:

This is a kid we would normally have knocking down our door but as we have seen over the last 2 years we are just about at wits end. I never seen our recruiting at such a low. When I had mentioned this in a previous post, there were a few death threats (j/k) when I mention it was time to clean house starting right at the Top. We need a new young vibrant exciting coach who can recruit anyone or any place, even WEST of the Mississippi, with a coaching staff that can recruit, coach ALL positions, that includes the center too. We are getting beat down so bad on our recruiting it pathetic. If we don't make some serious changes soon, it will take many years to build it back up to where it once was. Let the bashing start on me. lol :blah:

Last edited:
This is a kid we would normally have knocking down our door but as we have seen over the last 2 years we are just about wits end. I never seen our recruiting at such a low. I have mentioned and had just about had death threats when I mention it was time to clean house starting right at the Top. We need a new young vibrant exciting coach who can recruit anyone or any place, even WEST of the Mississippi, with a coaching staff that can coach ALL positions, that includes the center too. We are getting beat down so bad on our recruiting it pathetic. If we don't make some serious changes soon, it will take many years to build it back up to where it once was. Let the bashing start on me. lol

Great post! No bashing here, something needs to change for sure and it starts with recruiting philosophy/defensive strategies. I don't think JB is going anywhere but time for him to evolve with the times

The problem is those were unlikely FF's and the season long hype of teams consistently in the top 10 trumps unlikely FF runs.
Disagree that 2013 was an unlikely Final Four run. We were a 4 seed that season and beat the #1 team in the country (who went on to win that national title) on their home court. We were like 18-1 in late January and were a top 10 team. Finished with an 11-7 record in the grinder Big East. Yes, we faltered a bit down the stretch in some road games, but our run in the Big East tourney showed how good we could be.

It's has been a longer downturn than that. We did not capitalize on the 2013 Final Four run. We've gotten some highly-ranked top 40 guys (Malachi, Tyus) but there have been way too many swings and misses. And too many times when we have settled for a single when we needed a home run. The worst is when we didn't get in the batter's box at all when we could've gotten an early lead. That's about all the lame baseball analogies I could come up with right now.
I don't know. I respect your opinion. And I agree the 2017 cycle was not good. At all. We did not land our top targets. And there were clearly behind the scene issues. But we landed 3 top 100 recruits in 2016 class. Isn't that exactly we expect to be doing? Plus three top 100 guys in the 2015 class (would have been 4 if Diagne had ended up on campus).

Disagree that 2013 was an unlikely Final Four run. We were a 4 seed that season and beat the #1 team in the country (who went on to win that national title) on their home court. We were like 18-1 in late January and were a top 10 team. Finished with an 11-7 record in the grinder Big East. Yes, we faltered a bit down the stretch in some road games, but our run in the Big East tourney showed how good we could be.
Don't quote me on the schedule but....early fast starts often have to do with Cornell, Colgate and directional school wins. When we hit the meat of the conf. schedule, the tide often turns. How many years have we seen that scenario play out???

Don't quote me on the schedule but...early fast starts often have to do with Cornell, Colgate and directional school wins. When we hit the meat of the conf. schedule, the tide often turns. How many years have we seen that scenario play out???

That team early in the season blew out an SDSU team that made the tourney (the aircraft carrier game) and won AT Arkansas (their only home loss that year).

The 2013 FF team was legit

That team early in the season blew out an SDSU team that made the tourney (the aircraft carrier game) and won AT Arkansas (their only home loss that year).

The 2013 FF team was legit

Definitely a legit team. They couldn't score and it was painful at times but that team could really defend. I watched some of those Tourney games again like Marq/Indiana. Man they had trouble scoring but the defense was smothering when they were locked in.

So after thinking about this today I have come up with this. Maybe cole did have a great visit and loved everything about cuse but I would have to think he may have played some pick up games with some of the guys...the guys that were around when he was here were oshae, Moyer, battle, Washington, belbey and I'm not sure if any others. Now I get that cole has a different skill set then our wings we have now because he is considered a knock down shooter but maybe Moyer and oshae are better then we all realize and cole was quick to notice, "man am I going to get much playing time with the likes of OB, MM and MD all trying to get playing time." Depending on How Good our young wings are and seeing how it's mostly unknown at this point to all of us, he probably wanted to go where playing time is more easily available. Now potentially add in someone like bazley and we have serious depth. That's what I'm going with...dont think our staff could have done anything different here to change the outcome.
May be true but simply put I believe he liked Wright over Boeheim

May be true but simply put I believe he liked Wright over Boeheim
I'm sure the head coach was one factor.

But, I wonder if the culture of the schools, not just the basketball programs, was more important than anything. Villanova is a (c0mparatively) small, Catholic college. I assume St Andrews is also Catholic. Plus, Xavier.

I'm sure the head coach was one factor.

But, I wonder if the culture of the schools, not just the basketball programs, was more important than anything. Villanova is a (c0mparatively) small, Catholic college. I assume St Andrews is also Catholic. Plus, Xavier.
I think you're right and it is a similar culture for good kids( 4 of my immediate family went to Nova) and add in me handsome charming successful good guy Wright and there it is

Wonder if he's regretting at all going there. Very little playing time. Same with JQ

Jury out on Swider. Watching Villanova and i’m not sure Swider is athletic enough to play in ACC. He’s been swatted whenever he tries to pump fake and score inside. He plays hard and looks coachable.

Jury out on Swider. Watching Villanova and i’m not sure Swider is athletic enough to play in ACC. He’s been swatted whenever he tries to pump fake and score inside. He plays hard and looks coachable.

He will be a good player as an upperclassmen. I don’t know why people make judgements on freshman like they don’t improve.

He will be a good player as an upperclassmen. I don’t know why people make judgements on freshman like they don’t improve.
I'm not saying it's warranted in Swider's case, but from time to time ... they don't. Especially around here the last few years. Not all prospects are successes.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Both of them would have been great gets for SU but would have had the same defensive issues with Boeheim that would have limited their minutes. With Boeheim nothing leads to players getting yanked more than defensive lapses, especially with freshmen.

Both of them would have been great gets for SU but would have had the same defensive issues with Boeheim that would have limited their minutes. With Boeheim nothing leads to players getting yanked more than defensive lapses, especially with freshmen.
I'm surprised that things have happened to make me feel this way but Buddy has gotten a longer leash for defensive mistakes than prior freshmen, particularly on closeouts.

I'm surprised that things have happened to make me feel this way but Buddy has gotten a longer leash for defensive mistakes than prior freshmen, particularly on closeouts.

Only when we were short three guards for the first few games. Now that Frank & Jalen are back he has the same short leash as everyone else. He's averaging 6 minutes for the last four games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom